* I apologize prehand for the wall of text, those that read it and help, I thank you immensely, for you are sort of my teacher I wish I had*

Alright, I'm a little over the 3 month mark. Parts of me feel like I'm progressing well, other parts of me think I should know more. I play/practice a lot, everyday minimum of an hour. Today I literally wanted to play all day, but my finger tips are killing from bends. Anyway this week I want to have a set routine. I want to sit down and say hey, do this for 15 min, this for 15 min, this, this, and that.
Here's what I know, here's what i want to know soon.
Open chords.
G,C,D,Dm,E,Em,A,Am,G7,A7,D7,E7,F Maj7
I also know B7,and C7, F barre I have no problem with either, I just don't like the speed at which I can switch between these and the other chords I know
I Know power chords, but I want to get use to "grabbing" them, and putting them anywhere. Also moving them around smoothly and quickly.
Some scales. I know some riffs as well.

I think I've been hurting my progress by staying away from songs. I def plan on adding songs in. I can play open chords fine and strum along in difference patterns. I just haven't really looked at songs and been like " I want to learn this, not doing anything else until I do" I figure I should add songs in, because they are the best way to put practice into play.

Anyways, that list isn't for me to show you what I can do.
Things I really want to get down.
My power chords, Moving them, grabbing them, and being able to strum everything so its muted except the chord notes.
My F chord sounding. I've been pressing at so many difference levels and I still cannot get it to sound completely.
Increase my finger control, especially my pinky.

So based on what I gave you I'm wondering if you can recommend exercises and songs to really help me with these problems. Especially my F chord.
Okay, so I think I've got a few tips for you.

First, if you haven't done this, buy a metronome. The key to practicing ANYTHING is starting out slow, and slowly build up your speed.

What I do is I start out my practice routine with a left hand warmup. This is basically a lot of hammer ons and pull offs. I could give you the exact exercises if you're interested. Not only does this warm up your left hand, it builds fingerstrength as well, which is useful for pretty much anything.

After that I play songs that feature the techniques I currently want to improve. ATM I'm working on my alternate picking, so I play songs that feature picking parts that are slightly too hard for me (for example, Snow (hey oh) by RHCP, or Ties That Bind by Alter Bridge). Start them out slow ,with a metronome, and slowly build speed. This works for other techniques. You say you want to learn to switch power chords faster, play songs with fast power chord changes. (try some nirvana or ramones). Once you can play power chords at a satisfying speed, go do the same with another technique.

One thing you have to remember when doing this is that playing something sloppy equals playing it wrong, and it's always better to play something slow and correct than playing it fast but wrong.

The F chord will just take time, but fingerstrength routines can probably help you with that.

Good luck.
What music do you like?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I listen to a lot of beatles, clapton. Fair amount of blink 182, jimmy eat world. Once in a while stuff like rise against.
You should find time to listen to an hour of metal a day.

Listening to metal will make you a better guitarist, because the best guitarists in the world play metal.
I use to listen to some metal. Most of it is terrible, just noise. Some I can respect though.
P.S. I'm just kidding (but not really).

The way I practice is to set aside a half-hour per day to practice the 'boring stuff' - like scales and techniques, then spend the next half-hour practicing a song or bits from different songs.

As you start to learn songs you realise where you need to practice as well. I only found my sweeps sucked when I started trying some metallica, so I built them into my practice routine until I felt comfortable with them and do them in the middle of a song.
Thanks for tips, also there's to many types of metal. I enjoy lighter metal, not screamo metal, or grind and grunge stuff. It's just awful.
Listen to some power metal, neo-classical influenced metal, gothic metal, lighter thrash metal bands like metallica etc.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by jmeyer1022
* I apologize prehand for the wall of text, those that read it and help, I thank you immensely, for you are sort of my teacher I wish I had*

Alright, I'm a little over the 3 month mark. Parts of me feel like I'm progressing well, other parts of me think I should know more. I play/practice a lot, everyday minimum of an hour. Today I literally wanted to play all day, but my finger tips are killing from bends. Anyway this week I want to have a set routine. I want to sit down and say hey, do this for 15 min, this for 15 min, this, this, and that.
Here's what I know, here's what i want to know soon.
Open chords.
G,C,D,Dm,E,Em,A,Am,G7,A7,D7,E7,F Maj7
I also know B7,and C7, F barre I have no problem with either, I just don't like the speed at which I can switch between these and the other chords I know
I Know power chords, but I want to get use to "grabbing" them, and putting them anywhere. Also moving them around smoothly and quickly.
Some scales. I know some riffs as well.

I think I've been hurting my progress by staying away from songs. I def plan on adding songs in. I can play open chords fine and strum along in difference patterns. I just haven't really looked at songs and been like " I want to learn this, not doing anything else until I do" I figure I should add songs in, because they are the best way to put practice into play.

Anyways, that list isn't for me to show you what I can do.
Things I really want to get down.
My power chords, Moving them, grabbing them, and being able to strum everything so its muted except the chord notes.
My F chord sounding. I've been pressing at so many difference levels and I still cannot get it to sound completely.
Increase my finger control, especially my pinky.

So based on what I gave you I'm wondering if you can recommend exercises and songs to really help me with these problems. Especially my F chord.

Check out my thread...it may give you a few idea's. Also, add to it with your success if you like! https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1222907
Wants: PRS Starla
For your barre chords, try adjusting the position your barring finger is at - roll it slightly on its side, or try it slightly bent, or angle it slightly in relation to the fret. You should be able to find a position where it frets all the strings so they all ring out cleanly, without putting undue pressure on. It will probably still be uncomfortable for a while, as its still an unnatural position to put your finger in, but it should hurt a lot less - and be more effective - than just trying to put more pressure on.

Finger control its basically a case of slowing down to a speed you have control over all your movements, and making your fingers do what you want (but keeping them relaxed - thats the tricky bit lol)

As far as power chords go - why do you want to be able to strum all the strings rather than just hitting the ones you want? You can mute them with the spare fingers on your fretting hand, but really you should be hitting the strings you want, and letting your index finger cover the string above it as a backup imo