Do you have any tips on how to teach myself music theory. I can't take the class at my high school because they aren't offering it next semester and I am graduating this year. My piano instructor said the college level will be too fast for me to understand. I don't have money to take lessons. So basically what are some good practice routines, sites, etc... to help educate myself.

Some things I understand easily is how a scale works. The WWHWWWH for the major scale and so on. I know how to identify the overall pitch of a chord. Just basic things really.

I want to try to write my own music instead of play other people's.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I realize that. I have looked at quite a few.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by aznrockerdude
http://musictheory.net/

I used it for ear training mainly.

To be honest this helped a lot. The only thing it is missing is information on modes but I need to work on some other things and know them front and back before I mess with them I guess...
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Last edited by RockGuitar92 at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by RockGuitar92
Do you have any tips on how to teach myself music theory. I can't take the class at my high school because they aren't offering it next semester and I am graduating this year. My piano instructor said the college level will be too fast for me to understand. I don't have money to take lessons. So basically what are some good practice routines, sites, etc... to help educate myself.

Some things I understand easily is how a scale works. The WWHWWWH for the major scale and so on. I know how to identify the overall pitch of a chord. Just basic things really.

I want to try to write my own music instead of play other people's.

Try picking up a theory text book.

this wouldn't be a bad place to start...

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Dummies-Michael-Pilhofer/dp/0764578383

I'm sure you could afford to buy that, and then put in the effort with the study.
shred is gaudy music