C4C as always.

I wrote this for my music history class, its really short but I like how it came out.

the piece is composed using a color and a talea. The talea is a rhythmic motive, in this case, 9 bars long. The color is the melodic material that is repeated. You'll notice that the melody line is the same order of notes over a different rhythm the first and second half, therefore creating a simple isorhythm. after this was done i wrote a simple rhythm part under it.

id be interested to know if i should expand on this. it doesn't really seem like something i could use for my band but it has a nice somber feel to it.
Attachments:
isorhythm.gp5
isorhythm.gp4
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I would expand on it.

But I'm not sure I fully comprehend this "color" and "talea"; the best analogy that I can use to understand it is that the color is melodic "x-axis", while the talea is the harmonic "y-axis". Employing isorhythms somewhat "blurs" the distinction of both, maintaining an isometric motif, hence the name "isorhythms".
Yay or nay?

It's an interesting concept, and I'm sure that a fair bit of musicians use this, but not many seem as disciplined in manipulating it to it's full extent.

These 9 bars are good. As I said before, continue working on it. I would probably add a piccolo and/or violin. Or maybe a brass section.

I have a segment that I want to reconfigure, and I could use melodic ideas like yours. Idk if it's up your alley, but I would appreciate any feedback.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223153
Well, I'm not the best at theoretical stuff, but I do get the effect you created, it sounds really good man, gives a nice calm but sad feeling to it..

definitely needs to be expanded, I like it

nothing to say about this part really, but you did inspire me to a piece of my own which is under construction at the moment, maybe it can gives you an idea for expansion?

here it is:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224743
I love it. Simple as that. The harmonies are great, very impressionistic. The isorhythmic idea is perfectly executed. Honestly, I've never seen the terms color and talea before, but I understand exactly what you are doing, and the effect is great! Great job man, please expand on this!

Crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223278
the whole idea of talea and color is more of an overlapping kind of idea. Normally an isorhythmic composition would be longer and there would be a longer talea and color.

I would say a better analogy is that the talea is a Route that goes through multiple states. When the state changes, the color changes, but the route is still the same.

its sort of something lots of you do without knowing, but executed exactly makes a cool motive
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
i added on to this song

its not much of a structure i just kept the melodic material going. where should i go from here?
Attachments:
isorhythm.gp5
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
This one I have trouble imagining going any further. It should be a powerful segue between 2 of your songs.

Full on face-melting brutal/tech death/thrash. Kinda like the shift in The Faceless' Shape Shifters to Coldly Calculated Design, but better.

Or maybe some post-metal, in the vein of Russian Circles. Yes...
yea i see what you mean. i just need to find a powerful way to end it after that guitar line
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob