Hey guys, I have always been very interested in the brain/body/and spiritual stuff like altered states of consciousness and such. I am doing some research for one of my psychology courses and have been surveying people on this topic. Do you believe that altered states of mind/consciousness such as those often experienced by people under the influence of hallucinogens are attainable during a "sober" state. I myself have had quite a few powerful experiences with psychadellic drugs, but I would like your opinions. Thanks in advance for any help.
One time I layed on the ground near a strobe light and after like 15 minutes I felt really weird, very spaced out, completely detached from everything and everyone.

Now I actually believe in like meditation and shit, but I don't follow the lifestyles or anything like that.

EDIT:

but I don't believe visuals can be attained without hallucinogens.
It is not, because drugs (among other things) affect your neurons, and their receptors, turning more on, turning on the wrong ones and what not. My point is, you can't do this without something interfering with the normal procedures of your brain functions (i.e. drugs).
I actually learned this in Psychology.
So technically, to be in an altered state, you need something to interfere.
i think meditation could lead to something like that (more of a oneness or whatever) but that would take aaagess to attain, and maybe you just wouldnt ever.
The human mind is a very complex thing. I've read of a case where Buddhist monks in India were able to consciously control the temperature of their fingers, something usually considered involuntary.

Or something similar to that.
blunt head trauma could do it
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2008/11/ganzfeld_hallucinati.html

i've yet to try it, but apparently, you trip balls
“In the right side of the visual field, a manikin suddenly appeared. He was all in black, had a long narrow head, fairly broad shoulders, very long arms and a relatively small trunk…. He approached me, stretching out his hands, very long, very big, like a bowl, and he stayed so for a while, and then he went back to where he came from, slowly.”

quote from someone who did it in a study, pretty creppy
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Last edited by JBizzle Da Truf at Nov 1, 2009,
You can attain similar feelings during sleep paralysis, which qualifies as being sober. And the sleep paralysis state can be achieved quite easily. I've tried. It's pretty cool, actually.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

you can do meditation and you can get yourself into a trance, but there are nowhere close to hallucinogenic drugs. I recommend you try shrooms or lsd, no physical harm... you just have to be ready for it mentally and have a positive mindset.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by RentACar
It is not, because drugs (among other things) affect your neurons, and their receptors, turning more on, turning on the wrong ones and what not. My point is, you can't do this without something interfering with the normal procedures of your brain functions (i.e. drugs).
I actually learned this in Psychology.
So technically, to be in an altered state, you need something to interfere.

This.

I doubt you could hallucinate without the help of drugs. Unless you had some kind of mental problems or didn't sleep for like a week.

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
I'm sure you can, but you'll need extreme concentration or some sort of meditation that I can't even begin to comprehend.
Lucid dreaming

Fasting
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL