I'm working on getting my guitar amp business up and running, very slowly (no rush, I have a steady income and whatnot, this is all just for fun). I got to thinking about ways to make things really sweet, and I got to thinking about offering matching guitars/amps. If I am lucky, I figure when I'm in "full swing" I'll sell two sets a year. Maybe. Anything less than zero would be cool.

In any case, that's in the future a ways (3-5 years prolly). Right now, I've never built a guitar from the ground up. I've built 3 Warmoths, a Soloist, an LP, and a Thinline Tele, so it's not totally foreign. I've also done some woodworking...just nothing to the level of precision required here. It'll be a learning experience...and if all goes well, my first display model. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic there, but whatever...I set high goals for myself.

This is the first build of like 5 that I have planned for the next few years. Once done with them, I'm going to reevaluate whether or not I want to continue down the guitar route, or just focus on amps.

The build:

Tele body shape
Swamp ash body
Flame maple neck
25" scale, 8" radius fretboard

"enhanced grain" stain on the body (basically, a bit of black dye to enhance the grain effects)
transparent red over that
nitro clear coat over the red
clear coat the neck (maybe a bit of shading to darken it), nitro

standard tele bridge
chrome hardware
white pickguard
stainless frets, prolly medium jumbo-ish

Lindy Fralin Blues Tele pickups (bit hotter than standard), "standard" Tele wiring.

One of the things I want to offer for custom guitars is to offer to use whatever neck profile people want. I'm planning on using one of these: Contour Gauge to replicate and build a template of a current Tele neck profile. The goal here is that if someone comes to me with a guitar that they LOVE and want a same neck profile, I can give it to them regardless of anything.

This all is probably a good 6 months from start, as my first daughter (daughter according to the ultrasound at least ) will be born in late Dec/early Jan. Going to wait till everything is settled down from that before beginning.

Thoughts anyone?
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Sounds great man. I really hope everything works out.

Including the terrestrial being forming in your wife's (?) body.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Seems like you know your stuff. What's the fretboard wood?
I just looked at a few pictures of red stained ash and I personally didn't like it much. I'm sure if it's tastefully done it would look good though.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
Seems like you know your stuff. What's the fretboard wood?
I just looked at a few pictures of red stained ash and I personally didn't like it much. I'm sure if it's tastefully done it would look good though.

It can be done right...

Fretboard will be the same maple as the neck.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by BladeSlinger
Sounds great man. I really hope everything works out.

Including the terrestrial being forming in your wife's (?) body.

Thanks!

She referred to it as "the parasite" for the first few months. She's taking more loving approach now though.
Quote by kcdakrt

looks like it will be good. As for a display model, it's possible to do this on a first build but you'll have to be very careful about what you do and don't rush any of it at all.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
If the the colour I'm looking at is right, I reckon it'll be a beaut. Especially if you're taking it down the blues route. Good luck
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
If this is anywhere near as good as your amps, I'll love it.
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
If this is anywhere near as good as your amps, I'll love it.

Thanks!
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by acdcrocks0323
Build me an amp and guitar?!

That's the plan. Matching..so, like, whatever the finish on the guitar is (dye, burst, whatever), the amp would be too. The binding on the guitar is the piping on the amp head, etc etc. Should rule....
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89
That's the plan. Matching..so, like, whatever the finish on the guitar is (dye, burst, whatever), the amp would be too. The binding on the guitar is the piping on the amp head, etc etc. Should rule....

sounds cool. You could even have a veneer of whatever wood you're using on the guitar top as well for the amp. I would reccomend a solid finish for your first guitar though since it's very difficult to get your wood to look perfect on your first go and it just ends up being easier to cover up with some paint.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
sounds cool. You could even have a veneer of whatever wood you're using on the guitar top as well for the amp. I would reccomend a solid finish for your first guitar though since it's very difficult to get your wood to look perfect on your first go and it just ends up being easier to cover up with some paint.

I was thinking that, but I'm going to give the transparent red a shot. Going to practice on scrap stuff before actually going forward with the real thing.
Quote by kcdakrt