Hiya, I'll be getting a new guitar this saturday (or next) and I want to hear suggestions about guitars.
Budget: 1100 US max
High gain articulate passive pickups
Bands: AC/DC, def leppard, van halen,guns, the most heavy I will go is metallica, since I have another guitar for the br00t.

If it has a floyd or a tremolo, it must be high quality because I hate tuning every 5 mins, very articulate and "singy" pickups are a plus.

Thanks
gibson les paul studio
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

get yourself an ibanez prestige, or just one of the ones below the prestige line, all good quality control, spend the extra $ to have it set up by a COMPETENT tech.

also the stock pickups are good sounding on most of them, the dimarzio designed ones atleast, the inf's and ibz'z.
Last edited by POWERMETAL! at Nov 2, 2009,
Willing to go 2nd hand? I'd look for an SG, or maybe a LTD Deluxe with the Duncans if you want to go new.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fernandes-Monterery-Elite-Electric-Guitar?sku=241921

Does what you want and has a sustainer. Sustainers FTW.

But like everyone says, a lot less broad of definitions would be greatly useful, but if I had to guess I'd say that'd work.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Most of those bands tone is derived from cranked tube amps

Acdc is like straight power amp cranked to 10, makin the tubes scream

Any solidbody guitar with humbucker configuration would to well.

I'm a fan of the les Paul and sg, how about the sg reissue, I'll post a link once I figure out how on an iPod>_<

EDIT: ignore the reissue, I misread the 7 as a 1 lol

They have an sg with p-90s, 999.99 new

Meh
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Last edited by westdyolf at Nov 2, 2009,
Well I don't know if I can be more specific, because I just want a good guitar to play 80's rock
I know that most tone comes from the amp, but I want the guitar to sound really edgy to solo like crazy, like van halen, I don't like dark tone guitars
Quote by Zaio
Well I don't know if I can be more specific, because I just want a good guitar to play 80's rock
I know that most tone comes from the amp, but I want the guitar to sound really edgy to solo like crazy, like van halen, I don't like dark tone guitars

go and look at what guitars they played. chances are there reletively similar.
1 Get an ibanez (2nd hand or new doesn't matter, just a bodyshape you like)
2 Get yourself a set of Dimarzio PAF pro's or Super Distortions
3 Install pickups
4 ?????
5 Profit!!!

and to be stereotypical, what amp do you have?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Music Man Axis on John Petrucci is very nice for that kind of music. Don't know if you can find one for $1100 new though.
I stepped upon the platform, the man gave me the news
He said, "You must be joking son, where did you get those shoes?"
Seymour duncan makes some awesome passives for high gain stuff yet they still have alot of character like their JB and Custom 5
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Quote by fretz86
http://www.legendarytones.com/evh%20pickup.html
Get an alder or basswood bodied guitar with a bolt on neck and one of these.
My personal choice would be alder (even though I think Eddie uses basswood), maybe a Jackson DK2M.

DK2M for sure.
Panties 'round your knees
With your ass in debris
Doin' dat grind with a push and squeeze
Tied up, tied down, up against the wall
Be my rubbermade baby
An' we can do it all

My way - your way
Anything goes tonight
Quote by Fives
DK2M for sure.

+1

One of the best guitars I've ever played.
Quote by U-neek
Now that is an epic win right there!!!!

I made an epic win
Jackson RR24M
PSN: Livewire410
Quote by consecutive e
Willing to go 2nd hand? I'd look for an SG, or maybe a LTD Deluxe with the Duncans if you want to go new.

I agree, i would look for an SG.
well i got a hummingbird guitar from www.points2shop.com/?ref=towlie22 or just click on my signature, its simple and easy and you van get anything from amazon from it try it out you wont be disappointed , you can get anything from games, microsoft points ,xboxlive, to guitars
get a esp ltd h-1001 with duncans at samash for only $599.
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_H1001%20LTD%20Deluxe%20Horizon%20Electric%20Guitar%20Assorted%20Colors_-1_10052_10002_437077_cmCategorySA-10001

then u will have extra money for another guitar, strat or tele maybe?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Towlie22
well i got a hummingbird guitar from www.points2shop.com/?ref=towlie22 or just click on my signature, its simple and easy and you van get anything from amazon from it try it out you wont be disappointed , you can get anything from games, microsoft points ,xboxlive, to guitars

Ya mum never loved you and never will.

on topic, 2nd hand ibby prestige will be cheap and do whatever you want and more.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
Ya mum never loved you and never will.

on topic, 2nd hand ibby prestige will be cheap and do whatever you want and more.

He's got a face that not even a mother could love ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Look at the faded Gibsons like the LP & SG they are pretty good for the money I think they run $700.00 to $800.00. The next best thing would be an Epi Prophecy LP,SG with Dirty Finger pups or Epis Tony Iommi SG. These will all be good for the music you like. You need to go out and try guitars and see what you like and can play comfortably and with Gibsons you need to play them because they really let their QC slide over the years.

John
I'd try and track down a used Axis, or a Luke. Both great versatile guitars.
Saying that, a USA strat with a bridge humbucker will serve you well. Maybe try and find a kramer Jersey Star?

You have a lot of options.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Since you apparently have no idea what you want, I'd suggest giving yourself a little more than 5 days to find a guitar and make sure you get what you really want.

Do research. Go play the guitars. Don't make an impulse buy. And don't limit yourself to the guitars that are available in whatever store you decide to buy from.

If you're going to spend $1,000 on a guitar, I imagine you're going to want it to last for a while.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions, I've got a sudden rise in my budget (birthday gifts) and now I have like 1500 US
I'm looking into this two guitars atm
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG3550MZ
http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S5470

I can try the RG at my local shop, but I haven't seen the S in stores, aparently the S has better trem but sh¡t sustain and pickups which is a shame since it looks much better in brown than the black RG. Anyone has experience with them?

For the guy who asked, I've got a flextone amp, I will be trying some gibson stuff also, since my local store has 25% off in gibsons, I hate the sg shape but I will try some explorer and flying V's, also some studio LP.
The ZR2 isn't better than the Edge Zero. It really depends on what you want. Mahogany or Basswood? The lack of sustain on the S is due to the pickups.
i really like the RG1550! beautiful guitars, and right in your price range. you could upgrade pickups with the money, or save it up for new gear, since the 1550 is only $1000.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I prefer the S5470, but both are awesome instruments.

Be warned though, the sustain supposedly is crap (didn't play any slow stuff on it, so wouldn't know )
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Washburn X50 Pro?

Mahogony Body
Buzz Feiten
Seymour Duncan passive pups
Grover Tuners
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Vauxite

+1000000000000000000
I own a Loverock ls125seb, and it's amazing.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.