I have saved up alot of money now, and im gonna buy a new amplifier. All of these amps are in my price range, but the Roadster is REALLLY on the limit.

Im looking for a organic, brutal tone, thats not totally scooped or compressed. I play in a progressive metal band. And im looking for a amp with decent cleans too.

Bands im inspired by are Meshuggah, Opeth, Tesseract and Textures.

I have a mesa rec cab, and i play alot live!

Thoughts?
I say try them out. IMO ENGLs are more compressed than the Roadster, but it's preference.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I tried the Dual rec, and Loved it, and i hated the Powerball, it sounded like crap in my ears.
Quote by Monatyra
I tried the Dual rec, and Loved it, and i hated the Powerball, it sounded like crap in my ears.

Not exactly a fair comparison here. One of the most loved Mesas vs. the most hated ENGL. OP you really need to try them out. Both will fit your needs, but have a different character to them.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Nov 2, 2009,
neither,

diamond nitrox.

some of the best cleans you'll find on a high gain amp, more gain on tap than a 6505, and less expensive than the ones you've mentioned (unless you live in europe... not sure what engls go for over there, but i know mesa and diamond are really overpriced).

sound is subjective, but i'd take it over the engl any day. if you haven't heard one, think: 5finger death punch... they might use a "phantom" instead of a "nitrox," can't remember, but the sound is similar anyhow. definately worth checking out!
I'd go for the Savage personally. The only Mesa amp that I'd really second-guess that choice on is a Road King.

Plus, I'm guessing if the Roadster is pushing your budget a bit, then you're not in the US, as the Savage is significantly more than a new Roadster. Mesas really aren't that great of a deal outside of the US
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Nov 2, 2009,
The roadster is badass.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
lol, i've only tried the roadking and savage se. But i agree with trying them first. Also, which country are you in? if you're in the US the roadster will be better value, if in europe the savage (assuming you like both equally, which you probably won't).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They're pretty different IMO. The Savage is more compressed but significantly tighter than the standard dual and bit tighter than the Roadster. They all have good cleans. The Roadster is the most organic sounding out of the bunch. All of them have plenty of mids so you're good there. If you're in Europe you might want to look into Diezel as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Monatyra
I have saved up alot of money now, and im gonna buy a new amplifier. All of these amps are in my price range, but the Roadster is REALLLY on the limit.

Im looking for a organic, brutal tone, thats not totally scooped or compressed. I play in a progressive metal band. And im looking for a amp with decent cleans too.

Bands im inspired by are Meshuggah, Opeth, Tesseract and Textures.

I have a mesa rec cab, and i play alot live!

Thoughts?

Well, the voicing of the roadster is leaning towards the scooped size. Also, the Savage is nothing like any of the other ENGLS (save the Blackmore maybe). It's very open, relatively dynamic, dry but not too dry, just enough saturation with clarity to boot. It also gets brutal as ****ing hell too, not to mention MUCH easier to dial in than a rectifier.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Well, the voicing of the roadster is leaning towards the scooped size. Also, the Savage is nothing like any of the other ENGLS (save the Blackmore maybe). It's very open, relatively dynamic, dry but not too dry, just enough saturation with clarity to boot. It also gets brutal as ****ing hell too, not to mention MUCH easier to dial in than a rectifier.

wtf are you talking about? it's not scooped unless you scoop it.
Quote by GrisKy
wtf are you talking about? it's not scooped unless you scoop it.

I hope you're kidding. Do you think the recto series of of amps are naturally mid-heavy? Compared to marks, marshalls, splawn, etc...THOSE are mid heavy amps.

Diezel (herbert ch3 anyways), ENGL, Mesa Recto...those have scooped voicings.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Nov 2, 2009,
savage, hands down
the recto series in general is poop (for the price) imo, unless you are referring to old duals (which i have heard good things about, never played)
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION