Poll: Would you buy CD's if...
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you buy CD's if...
CD's were cheaper (i.e. £5)
180 53%
CD's had more content on them
14 4%
CD's came with more stuff (i.e. booklets, live footage)
59 17%
Artists made more money per CD sold
89 26%
Voters: 342.
Page 1 of 2
Thanks to everyone who replied to my previous thread! I have got some very interesting and helpful information from that! Believe it or not, I could do most of my essay from that thread alone!

I have a new question for you guys, but don't worry, it's only a poll this time.

If you could take a second out to answer this poll, it'd be really helpful.

Thanks guys
Last edited by boreamor at Nov 2, 2009,
I usually buy vinyls, that way you get a quality unreachable by downloading...
Wanted to play Bass, but then developed conscious thought...
Music is massively overvalued because the prices were set when you still needed substantial money and a label to release an album, which is why the labels are all so fucked now that they're being undercut.
A combination of them being cheaper (there's no need for HMV to charge £12.99 a CD when they already get about 40% of the profit) and the artists getting more (From 5% to 40% seems fair. They did WRITE the bloody thing)
I buy the cds regardless of if they have anything in them ie dvds n what not, i voted for having booklets or live footage or whatever coz thats always a plus when buying a cd.

I also think artists should get more per cd but anywho.

I dont download music. i used to and i thought to myself, when im an artist i dont want peopel to download my music for free so why should i be an asshole and do it to them?

if you can't afford the cds go to there websites or myspaces, they usually stream them there so u can listen to it, just dont steal it =)
Mission : Operation Shred
Quote by gallagher2006
there's no need for HMV to charge £12.99 a CD when they already get about 40% of the profit

Considering Virgin Megastores went broke and ended up with a management buyout, which became Zavvi - which then went broke and had a management buyout, which became Head - HMV are probably scraping for all the pennies they can get right now.
I've given up on CDs tbh, nor I can DL high sample rate FLAC files ripped from vinyl, I'll buy more music when they start selling higher resolution audio.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 2, 2009,
My economic status is horrible, I'm always broke, so I would like CD's to be cheaper.
If I had enough money, with surplus each month, I would like more stuff with it.
Definitely if they were cheaper. Quality is not something you can market, so I can't imagine having more songs on each would solve anything. What with all the Deluxe Editions floating around most CD's are already well-packed with extras and things.

They just need to come down on the price.
If the artist got more from the purchase. That's why I mostly buy stuff from them at shows.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
you shuld have a "if desired CD's were more available in your local area" option
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Definitely if it was cheaper. I normally hate CD's with live tracks on it anyway. Also, it would be great if I don't have to move my cheap and fat ass to get it.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by wanksta
I usually buy vinyls, that way you get a quality unreachable by downloading...

Lossless audio formatting>CD's>vinyls>mp3 (assuming you play the vinyls out of decent speakers.)
Quote by Nate.K
Lossless audio formatting>CD's>vinyls>mp3 (assuming you play the vinyls out of decent speakers.)

Assuming you play the CDs and lossless files through a decent system too.

Vinyl through a valve audiophile rig > a CD in a £50 stereo > a FLAC file on an iPod with the supplied earphones.
I love CDs.
If they were cheaper, I would buy tons of them.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
I would like them to be cheaper, I don't get much money and there is always other stuff to buy.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by blue_strat
Considering Virgin Megastores went broke and ended up with a management buyout, which became Zavvi - which then went broke and had a management buyout, which became Head - HMV are probably scraping for all the pennies they can get right now.

How does that influence what HMV do?

They didn't go broke. Many things wrong with that. It was to do with the EUK administration that killed Woolworths. HMV overcharge because they are greedy.

I would buy CDs more if the bands made money from it.
Mostly if they were cheaper, because CDs are ridiculously expensive, and I'm not exactly rich... But second priority is if the artists got more money per CD. As a wannabe-artist, I understand that they need money, and the record companies are taking most of it (Capitalist swine ).
Price for sure. There's no way every album an artist puts out can have a bunch of extra content.
LARGE TEXT
I picked "If artists got more from each CD".

Thing is I already buy (or am willing to buy) most of the CD's i like.
Unfortunately , most of them are not available here, so i either have to import (which screws me on the shipping!) or ask a relative to get it for me, in which case i can only ask for 2 or 3 at a time.

If the availability were made higher (in my particular case), id be willing to buy as many CD's as i wanted to listen to at the current market price ($10 on average per CD).
I buy CD's when the artist has actually put some good work on there and not just filler content.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
I buy CD's when the artist has actually put some good work on there and not just filler content.

We're assuming the music is good/you like it.

Quote by unet
We're assuming the music is good/you like it.

Last option then

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Nate.K

Vinyl is definitely better sound quality now especially due to the loudness wars, since you can't overcompress the masters for vinyl they tend to sound a lot better.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I buy cds already but if they were cheaper I'd buy a ton more.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
My iPod is broken, so i've actually been buying some CDs/burning them from my digital collection.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
All of the above. As of now I support artists all I can with concert tickets and the occasional T-shirt.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
i'd be happy to pay £10 or more for a good album as long as the artist is getting atleast 70%
One closely followed by four.

There are bands on indie labels who sell their CDs for a fiver and make more money off it already.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by blue_strat

HMV are probably pretty much in the money now. Consider this - Zavvi/Virgin Megastores going out leaves HMV as the only major retailer of Music/DVDs (they've even bought out Fopp). And their prices are horrendous, considering.

I used to work at HMV and the prices when I did were quite low, BECAUSE virgin megastore had just opened 3 stores down and they were trying to drive them out. Then HMV boosted their prices to the original prices + 25%. The manager said it was a decision made by the executives. And since their prices haven't decreased, but have gone up, I can only assume that they haven't come up against a money crisis like they did when I worked there (05-06).

Trust me - this is what I heard from the regional manager of all people.
I would buy CD's if they were cheaper. No moral reasoning behind it, just because I'm always broke.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
I once mailed some local band 5 euros for the lulz and i got a promo package and some autographs xD.

Thus, last option.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
I once mailed some local band 5 euros for the lulz and i got a promo package and some autographs xD.

Thus, last option.

I downloaded The Twilight Sads debut album, because HMV were asking for £17 for it, and I met them after their show in Glasgow this year and explained what I did, then gave them £5, for being understanding. They autographed my wallet and said the fiver was about 10 times what they get per CD sold anyway It was a great win.
Page 1 of 2