I was looking to buy a cheap wireless system off of ebay until I have enough money to buy a better one, and I seen a few with balanced XLR/ unbalanced outputs. This is the wireless system http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nady-UHF-4-GT-Wireless-Guitar-System_W0QQitemZ290350806545QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Pro_Audio?hash=item439a41b611

Im not quite 100% sure on what a balanced/unbalanced output is, and what the difference between the two is.

My band has been getting a lot of gigs lately, and I have been using the house DIs. Essentially, an XLR output is what a DI box does, right?

I know that a bass has an unbalanced signal, so does that mean I go out of the unbalanced output, or out of the balanced output to balance it?

Also, on the wireless system, it says it has an XLR balanced output and a 1/4 unbalanced output. The PA system that the clubs I have been playing at has an XLR input, just like this
http://filmmakeriq.com/wp-content/uploads/Dennis/2009/08/xlr-connectors.jpg.

So, my question is, if I was playing a bass, which is an unbalanced signal, through this wireless, would I be able to use it as a DI as well? And what output would I use to do so?
I is confused, ask harmony central.
UG doesn´t know jack about this.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by blue_strat

Sorry dude. Didnt know.

And sorry about confusing everybody.

I guess I was just trying to ask if this wireless system: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-UHF4GT-UHF-Guitar-Wireless-System?sku=277098
would be able to take my bass' signal and use it to plug into the amp and balance the signal out into the PA, like a DI does.
Quote by blue_strat

wat.
Pretty sure that's just gear ads.

Quote by Dawnwalker
I is confused, ask harmony central.
UG doesn´t know jack about this.

You're the whole forum?

I'm not sure to be honest, it sounds like you're asking if that wireless system will double as a DI box, which I don't think it will.
Last edited by consecutive e at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by consecutive e
wat.
Pretty sure that's just gear ads.

You're the whole forum?

I'm not sure to be honest, it sounds like you're asking if that wireless system will double as a DI box, which I don't think it will.

Thats the gist of what im asking, and thanks for the answer.
Unbalanced = 1/4 inch jack.

Balanced = XLR.

A balanced output will push longer cables. This is not necessarily what a DI box does, but generally yes, as long as it has XLR output. Standard cables go into the unbalanced outputs, and XLR cables go into the balanced outputs, but thinking of them in these terms will only confuse you, which is probably how come your question came out a bit confusing. If I'm hearing you right though, then yes, you will be able to DI through the wireless, by using an XLR cable between the XLR (balanced) output of the wireless and the XLR (balanced) input on the mixing desk. Alternatively you could use a separate DI box, which you may much prefer if you want to utilise something like a Sansamp BDDI - in this case you would use the 1/4 inch (unbalanced) output of the wireless, into the 1/4 inch (unbalanced) input of the Sansamp (or similar), out of the XLR (balanced) output of the Sansamp (or similiar) into the XLR (balanced) input of the mixing desk.

I hope that all of the unecessary brackets in this post help to convey the idea to you in the format that you were looking for.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk