Hi,

I know that this is a very common question, but here it goes.

I’m playing classical guitar for about a year and I’m about to buy my first electric guitar this Christmas. I really would like some suggestions.

I’m on a real budget because I have another hobby that is quite expensive: film photography.

So, I decided to focus on a brand like Epiphone or Squier. A friend of mine that is an experienced guitar player suggested me to buy a Jack & Danny (and ). He has one as a backup guitar and I saw a few good online reviews about this brand but I'm not very convinced.

My musical references run between something like alternative rock, indie rock, some punk and garage rock. Main bands: Radiohead, The Hives, The Strokes, The Pixies, The Clash, Cake, Arctic Monkeys, Nirvana, Franz Ferdinand, The Smashing Pumpkins, Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The stooges.

I read somewhere that we always choose as a first guitar the one that jumps to our eyes but I am afraid that the Epiphone Les Paul Special II, that I find extremely pretty (I find that about any of the LP copies and replicas..), and within my budget, is not the best guitar for the sound I am looking for.

I read also that a Squier Strat is a versatile guitar, but I find strats quite awful. The same friend told me that the guitar that would probably suit me best is one with a Telecaster architecture.

Right now I am slightly bent towards a Squier Affinity Telecaster, that I find very appealing.

Would this be a good choice, according to my musical references, or should I pay attention to other options?

Any suggestion is very welcome.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English (I'm portuguese).

Best regards,

Nuno.
Last edited by nscampos at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by nscampos
My budget is 250€ (+-370$USD) for the guitar and amp.

You should try Epiphone and Squier, but also have a look at some low-end LTD or Ibanez models, they kick ass.
almost all the bands you named uses fender guitars so yeah a strat or tele would suit you best. i once had a squire tele and it was actually really good for the price. as for amp, i would suggest looking a used one because new amps cost lots of mula
Thanks for the answers.
I did a fast search over here and Harley Bentons are normally described has very very bad guitars. And LPs have more a hard rock sound, haven't it?
Last edited by nscampos at Nov 2, 2009,
Hi again,

I read a few good things about Vintage guitars. Would a Vintage Zip be a good choice for an inexpensive first guitar?

They have a nice review over here.

I can easily find one for 100£, and I would have some money to buy a not-so-cheap amp.

Thanks.
Last edited by nscampos at Nov 3, 2009,
I would recommend an Ibanez GRX20Z. I've found that the Ibanez necks are a little bit more beginner friendly than the Epiphone ones. But that doesn't mean Epiphone guitars are bad. Hope you find a great first guitar!
tele HS (rare but squier have) or maybe a squier jagmaster
I'd keep away from Vintage Zip. Pretty poor even for a starter guitar. A Squier Tele of some kind will suit your needs and pocket better, so it should leave you 100 euro or so for a small amp that is worth having.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Thanks again for the answers.

And what about this packs:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II + Fame Megatone ML20R link
or

Epiphone Les Paul Special II + Crate Flexwave FW15 link

Each pack costs 165€.
It's less than my budget, but that is never a problem.
Hey guys lol im at school and i cant make a new thread and i saw this one so. I also am getting my first electic guitar. I've been playing for a year today on acoustic. I like country, but i like 70's 80's rock as well so i picked this guitar. I'm not sure on it though i dont know alot about pickups. so if u could help me. I would really be apprecitive
Quote by nscampos
Thanks again for the answers.

And what about this packs:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II + Fame Megatone ML20R link
or

Epiphone Les Paul Special II + Crate Flexwave FW15 link

Each pack costs 165€.
It's less than my budget, but that is never a problem.

stay away from the "special" model epiphones...everyone i know who has tried one says they are crap. if you are gonna go with an lp i would suggest a standard.