hey guys, thanks for all the advise so far.

Between these 2:

Engl Fireball + 4x12 Engl cab

Blackstar Series One 200 + 4x12 Blackstar cab

For metal but with decent cleans. I haven't played the blackstar yet but wanted an opinion. Thanks
the blackstar will sound similar to a marshall jcm or jvm so you may want to look at a marshall instead
Quote by britishsligean
the blackstar will sound similar to a marshall jcm or jvm so you may want to look at a marshall instead

Why shouldn't he take the Blackstar?

I would get the Blackstar over the Fireball.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Nov 2, 2009,
The Blackstar is an excellent amp. It smashes any shitty JVM, which i personally hate. I would go for it.

The ENGL may have awesome gain but it has not the best cleans and isn't nearly as versatile. The Blackstar is the opposite plus can cut the wattage all the way down to 20w when needed.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I'll say one thing: when I tried them out I prefferred the Series One 100w to the 200w - I know, the 200w has 2 extra channels, but I just couldn't bond with the KT88s - I like the down to earth, traditional EL34s!

On the clean channel they are the same thing? I know blackstar overdrive is crazy and the 100 can achieve it easily but how about the cleans?
Quote by Wiintruder
On the clean channel they are the same thing? I know blackstar overdrive is crazy and the 100 can achieve it easily but how about the cleans?

the cleans are both good, but different - of course the 200w has an ungodly amount of headroom and IMO it beat the 100w on cleans, but for a good Marshall Style JCM900 clean the 100w is what you're looking for!
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I'll say one thing: when I tried them out I prefferred the Series One 100w to the 200w - I know, the 200w has 2 extra channels, but I just couldn't bond with the KT88s - I like the down to earth, traditional EL34s!

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
the cleans are both good, but different - of course the 200w has an ungodly amount of headroom and IMO it beat the 100w on cleans, but for a good Marshall Style JCM900 clean the 100w is what you're looking for!

Do you actually know what you are talking about?

Also notice that this guy doesn't want something traditional, he was also looking at an ENGL Fireball.

The Series One 200 has more gain and is even more versatile than the 100. The KT88's aren't a bad thing and the 100 won't get the same amount of gain as the 200.

EDIT: Also the JCM900 cleans are a bad example as they are really not the prettiest.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by JesusCrisp
Do you actually know what you are talking about?

Also notice that this guy doesn't want something traditional, he was also looking at an ENGL Fireball.

The Series One 200 has more gain and is even more versatile than the 100. The KT88's aren't a bad thing and the 100 won't get the same amount of gain as the 200.

EDIT: Also the JCM900 cleans are a bad example as they are really not the prettiest.

Yeah, I didnt want something as a marshall sound. But the blackstar doesn't sound like it at all or maybe i tried the wrong marshall. Even so isnt the engl more versatile?
ok iv owned both and i can tell you i would take the blackstar.

its got so much power i ran mine on just over 20 watts and it was fecking loud.

also it sounds nothing like a marshall u can use the isp to make it sound like a hot rodded marshall but stick it towards the american voicing and its brutal it 4 channels also.

the clean was really warm then u can kcik in the bright for a bit of jangle
the crunch was really smooth and warm and then you can kick in super crunch and get an exceltnt hard rock early metal sound
OD 1 this was my favorite had enough gain to get a high gain rythem sound and sound brutal with a de tuned guitar.
OD 2 pure lead tone i doubt u will want to use this for a rythem sound has more gain than u can possibly need.

as for the fireball was a very simple amp with one gain n one eq and only 60 watts not the blackstar's 200 lol, however it did some almighty tones even with the gain rolled down to just under half you could get a very nice clean tone, the switch channel and you still had a pretty brutal distortion.

iv had both a loved both but now i have a hughes and kettner warp X. but out of the 2 i would have the blackstar again simple coz u get so much for your money and its well build and be voiced to be american or british or a mix of the two so you really can find any tone you want.

also with DPR you can play any venue any size or just play it in you bedroom without blowing the windows out (unless you want to)