hey, guys, I want a modern evh sound on the cheap so i thought of getting one of these pedals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gom2V8tp4DY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inRJTI-1JEc
http://moenfx.com/vm_sc2.html
http://moenfx.com/vm_sc3.html
they are very cheap here in in australia - 70AUD. so apart from the fact that the sound is fairly scooped, will i be able to get a decent evh sound from it?
Last edited by 12AU7crunch at Nov 2, 2009,
The first clip sounds terrible to me. Sounds like a metalzone. Second clip soundsj ust alright. I can't tell if its the actual pedal or if it's the crappy recording equipment.

Also, firefox automatically blocked moenfx.com because it's supposedly an attack site?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I think he's using the camera mic
as for the moen site, I think some noob got it blacklisted. no harm to my computer yet.
Lol, it does sound like a metalzone.

if there was a cheap way of getting EVH tone, everyone would be all over it.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Holy **** that sounds bad. There's no EVH tone coming out of that. And I've never got an EVH tone out of a 5150/6505. EVH's tone is fairly bright.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Holy **** that sounds bad. There's no EVH tone coming out of that. And I've never got an EVH tone out of a 5150/6505. EVH's tone is fairly bright.

How high did you crank it?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
How high did you crank it?

The loudest I got it was 6. It was great for br00tz but they just don't sound much like EVH to me.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Clips sound like my old uber metal line 6 pedal only worse, tbh.
Mah Rig
Guitars:
BC Rich Mockingbird (X2N)
Schecter Hellraiser (81/85)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 head (Distortion obv)
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
Quote by JoePerry4life
Lol, it does sound like a metalzone.

if there was a cheap way of getting EVH tone, everyone would be all over it.

metal zone isn't too far off a modern evh tone to my ears minus the phase 90 etc...
of course true evh tone needs the power tubes breaking up as well but I just want to get closer than stupid bugera 333 lead channel distortion - which sounds more like a chainsaw
Quote by 12AU7crunch
metal zone isn't too far off a modern evh tone to my ears minus the phase 90 etc...
of course true evh tone needs the power tubes breaking up as well but I just want to get closer than stupid bugera 333 lead channel distortion - which sounds more like a chainsaw

A metal zone sounds nothing like EVH and I don't know how you're making a 333 sound like a chain saw. Reliability is shit but the tone is pretty decent.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

none of those sound at all like any 5150 i've heard, being mine, or one of the three my friend has had... and he can get great EVH tones...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
^Lol

If your bugera sounds like a chainsaw, turn down the treble lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
that guy looks like he's 40 trying to be 20.. anyway... most of those clips are really annoying and have too much gain.. yeah they sound like a 5150.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by JoePerry4life
^Lol

If your bugera sounds like a chainsaw, turn down the treble lol.

then it sounds muddy
Quote by AxSilentxLine
sorry TS, but from the statements you have made in this thread it is my sad duty to inform you that your ears are infact broken

which pedal would i have to get?
^There's no real "5150 in a box" ,besides the head of course, to my knowledge. You would need to get the real deal.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Well... when you say modern EVH tone, what Van Halen song would be an example of that? Something off the balance album... like Amsterdam?

In my profile theres a recording called "Amsterdam Tone Cover 2" its only about 14 seconds long, but I immitate eddies tone with my 6505+... and some other tricks... basically Eddie plays then I play then eddie then me so on so forth...

Or do you mean modern as in the most recent Van Halen tour?

Either way a metalzone or "5150" pedal will not do to well... unless your talking about a 5150 with the presence and gain cranked...

Anyways the thing about eddies tone... with the Balance album (most recent studio recorded tone) is that there is a depth to it not found in a lot of tones... most people dissmiss it as chorus... its not... He does a Wet/Dry/Wet mix... so for a live tone like that you need 3 amps... 2 wet ones meaning they have effects, particularly the detune effect, which is like chorus but not modulated... one amp needs to be detuned up a few cents panned hard left the other one down a few cents panned hard right and the dry one without effects in the middle....

So cheapest way you can do this is probably with a Boss PS-5 in your effects loop then use the detune effect on it. Then try your best to eq similar to eddie... for balance it was something like gain 6, low 6, mid 2, high 5... but thats on a 6505... so on a 333 it wouldn't sound really close...

Also a lot of his tone is how he plays his songs, and if you dont get that close enough your replication of his tone wont sound as good...

but really I dont think that that pedal will help create an EVH tone.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I can't tell how it sounds, the microphone was clipping the whole time. It's a basically all right sound, a bit too heavy for the brown sound.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Ethanb08
Well... when you say modern EVH tone, what Van Halen song would be an example of that? Something off the balance album... like Amsterdam?

In my profile theres a recording called "Amsterdam Tone Cover 2" its only about 14 seconds long, but I immitate eddies tone with my 6505+... and some other tricks... basically Eddie plays then I play then eddie then me so on so forth...

Or do you mean modern as in the most recent Van Halen tour?

Either way a metalzone or "5150" pedal will not do to well... unless your talking about a 5150 with the presence and gain cranked...

Anyways the thing about eddies tone... with the Balance album (most recent studio recorded tone) is that there is a depth to it not found in a lot of tones... most people dissmiss it as chorus... its not... He does a Wet/Dry/Wet mix... so for a live tone like that you need 3 amps... 2 wet ones meaning they have effects, particularly the detune effect, which is like chorus but not modulated... one amp needs to be detuned up a few cents panned hard left the other one down a few cents panned hard right and the dry one without effects in the middle....

So cheapest way you can do this is probably with a Boss PS-5 in your effects loop then use the detune effect on it. Then try your best to eq similar to eddie... for balance it was something like gain 6, low 6, mid 2, high 5... but thats on a 6505... so on a 333 it wouldn't sound really close...

Also a lot of his tone is how he plays his songs, and if you dont get that close enough your replication of his tone wont sound as good...

but really I dont think that that pedal will help create an EVH tone.

ok, i really don't need to get that close to the real deal, just something that resembles it. I found that my 333-212 went really ugly when i turned it up - even when i changed the power tubes to EL-34s. that's sold now, and now I'll be playing through a cab-sim pedal.
so... i want something i can play eruption on that will not sound like killing a cat like i found with the bugera, or my zoom g2.1u - built in cab sim made it real ugly etc
Quote by AxSilentxLine
sorry TS, but from the statements you have made in this thread it is my sad duty to inform you that your ears are infact broken

lol

TS - if you sold your Bugera and are going to use a cab sim then what is this thread all about? I'm confused.

PS: and just because Eddie endorsed the Peavey 5150 amps back in the day doesn't mean they sound anything like him. They are actually pretty far away from his tone.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
lol

TS - if you sold your Bugera and are going to use a cab sim then what is this thread all about? I'm confused.

PS: and just because Eddie endorsed the Peavey 5150 amps back in the day doesn't mean they sound anything like him. They are actually pretty far away from his tone.

ok. I'm not playing though an amp anymore. I don't need to. a cab/mic simulator and headphones will do me well for now.

eddie doesn't use his own amps? or is his heavily modded?
I'm also looking at this pedal - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Moen-MO-DM-Distortion-Master-Guitar-Effect-Pedal_W0QQitemZ110445972834QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Instrument_Accessories?hash=item19b717cd62

preview - http://moenfx.com/dm_sc1.html

It has a nice smooth sound - do you think it would have enough drive to play evh stuff?