Ive heard both of these amps have great cleans and plenty of headroom but would one be better than another when i put a distortion pedal such as the turbo rat through it? I dont have much knowledge of the peavey but have tried out the deville.
Well a nice clean Fender is usually good to base you pedal tones off of.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by WtrPlyr
I have a Classic 50. I like it, the drive is a lot better than the drive of the Hot Rod IMO.

Absolutely true, but i think for someone who is building their tone from a pedalboard, the Fender is more ideal.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by WtrPlyr
^Correct.

The C50 has a nice clean channel too that takes pedals very well though.

Agreed.

I guess it's just a matter what voicing he prefers but i guess if he gets all his gain from distortion pedals that won't matter much either.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by TOMMYB22
Agreed.

I guess it's just a matter what voicing he prefers but i guess if he gets all his gain from distortion pedals that won't matter much either.

I haven't played the C50, but if its anything like the C30 its gonna be a good bit darker than the HRD... That may affect how pedals react, so I would make sure to play around a lot with both if you can. Its gonna be hard to get Marshall mids out of a scooped, bright Fender... Even with a pedal.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I haven't played the C50, but if its anything like the C30 its gonna be a good bit darker than the HRD... That may affect how pedals react, so I would make sure to play around a lot with both if you can. Its gonna be hard to get Marshall mids out of a scooped, bright Fender... Even with a pedal.

I know i just meant that the tone of a distortion pedal won't change as much as the tone of a clean boosting OD when you change amps because they're meant to sound a certain way.

Also, if he's gonna be using pedals, i'm sure he'll get an EQ. Those things do wonders. I made my british voiced Blackstar sound scarily close to a Dual Recto, no bullshitting.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
If you want to base your OD tone from pedals, go for the Fender; it has amazing cleans.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
My school has a Classic 50 and I play it alot. LOVE it. It has great cleans, but I also think that the distortion is alot better than Fenders, as well as the reverb. I think that Fenders OD too harshly, and the Peavey has smoother OD. And since both take pedals really well, it's just a matter of how you like them without the pedals.

So IMO, go with the Peavey. I think it's also a bit cheaper.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Nov 2, 2009,
I'd go with the Peavey tbh, admittedly the fender probably has the edge on cleans, but I reckon the peavey takes pedals better.

Oh, also the peavey's distortion is better, though neither are that fantastic, they both are better to use as a base for you pedals, though the peavey can sound pretty awesome on the dirt channel with a OD running though it.

Though ultimately I'd say the deal breaker is whether you prefer an American or British voicing, who's sort of tone would you like to imitate?
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at Nov 2, 2009,
I'd go with the fender. I love peavey, but fender's got awesome cleans. If you're going to be using pedals, I'd go for the fender. The Turbo RAT is an awesome pedal and it should have more than enough distortion for almost anyone.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.