hey guys,
im in the process of selling all my stuff to buy an acoustic, to go back to being a singer/songwriter
anyways i went to my local music store and spent 3 hrs narrowing it down to two acoustics, a greg bennett acoustic electric and a plain alvarez acoustic.
unplugged, the alvarez won out with its warm beautiful tone, but when the greg bennett was plugged in, wow it sounded great, could emulate that alvarez and do so much more. i ended up putting a deposit on the greg benett, did i make a mistake?
my purpose for it is for songwriting, small gigs, and mainly recording
thanks
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS Hollowbody II w/ Piezo Blue Matteo
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender John Mayer Relic strat "the black one"

did i mention i like PRS?

20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva
i think you made the right choice.
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
thanks guys. more opinions?
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE

since you say this will be mainly for recording but also for gigs, it seems like it makes sense to go for the guitar that sounds better plugged in. since you say the greg benett sounds great - good enough to make you say "wow" - i'd say you made the perfect choice
thank you guys so much, you made me feel better about it

now i just gotta get going writing some songs!
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE

I looked at a solid wood Greg Bennett almost bought it but really didn't want the hassle of the humidity issues. But as for sound it was awesome. Not sure what model your looking at but Samick makes a pretty good guitar!
there are humidity issues with a laminate back and sides guitar, too. the top and bracing will swell when it's humid and shrink when dry, and the top is where it matters most because the bridge can start to come off and the belly can bulge with too great a humidity change. and while laminate is stabler than solid wood, if it changes too much, the wood will change size more than the glue between the layers of the laminate, causing it to come apart in small areas and changing the tone.

Quote by kmyers18
I looked at a solid wood Greg Bennett almost bought it but really didn't want the hassle of the humidity issues. But as for sound it was awesome. Not sure what model your looking at but Samick makes a pretty good guitar!
i have a humidifier in my room already, will that prevent the problem?
and how long does it take for this to happen?

also the Greg Bennett is an OM 4 CL5
and the Alvarez is an AD 60K
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE

it could solve or cause the problem. too much humidity can be as bad as not enough. and it takes a pretty short amount of time to make the guitar sound a little worse from too much humidity. you might want to invest in a hygrometer - there are some out there for under $10.

btw, both these guitars are fancy-looking all-laminate guitars. no solid top would make both of these a no-go for me, but as long as you're happy with the sound, that is the important thing. i must admit that a guitar that makes me say "wow" about the sound would be the one i'd want. unfortunately for me, the one that recently made me say "Wow!!!" was over 5 grand.

in the price range you seem to be looking, i'd probably go for a 700 series yamaha or a used or b-stock seagull.

Quote by AE25RR
i have a humidifier in my room already, will that prevent the problem?
and how long does it take for this to happen?

also the Greg Bennett is an OM 4 CL5
and the Alvarez is an AD 60K