I'm mainly an instrumental rock/metal player, but I also enjoy the more fusion type of shredders like Guthrie Govan.

Newbie question here: Do I need to learn basic jazz to improvise like these guys? I find learning jazz rather boring and I just want to learn how to improvise in a jazz fusion/shred style.
Quote by Timothongz
I find learning jazz rather boring and I just want to learn how to improvise in a jazz fusion/shred style.

You don't know what jazz all contains. Jazz is such a wide style... You have to learn shitloads of theory and then forget it all because you have to know you can use ALL notes, just end and accent on the right ones. All depends on what sound you like in the end
Quote by Timothongz
I'm mainly an instrumental rock/metal player, but I also enjoy the more fusion type of shredders like Guthrie Govan.

Newbie question here: Do I need to learn basic jazz to improvise like these guys? I find learning jazz rather boring and I just want to learn how to improvise in a jazz fusion/shred style.

Nope you need to spend a good decade or two learning as many different styles of music as you can and developing your own voice.
Quote by Timothongz

Why bother?

you seemed more interested in the status, than in the actual music. Guys like Govan are that good because they actually love the music. It takes time to get that good.

if you can't enjoy the process, you'll never see the end result.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 2, 2009,
to play stuff of that style you've gotta put in the time and effort and the studying. if learning it is so boring then why bother? that's part of the whole thing.
Alright thanks for the replies!

I wouldn't mind learning the "boring stuff" if I could play like Guthrie (someday!), so where do I start with learning Jazz?
^jazz chords/voicings and learn to play all the notes of a chord at once using the "claw" technique (basically fingerstyle or hybrid picking). this will help with your comping and chord knowledge etc.

instead of this for Am7
|-5 ---root
|-5 ---5th
|-5 ---b3
|-5 ---b7
|-7 ---5th
|-5 ---root

this would be more in line with things (you're still playing Am7 but you've left out all the repeated notes)

|
|5 ---5th
|5 ---b3rd
|5 ---b7th
|
|5 ---root

personally, i play this by barring my ring finger across the D,G & b strings and use my send finger for the root (muting the A string with the tip of my ring finger and the pad of the second finger simultaneously).

here are some common voicings

"E" shape

root note on E string.
first is maj7, 2nd is dominant 7, 3rd is minor7(b5), 4th is a diminished 7th
|-
|-5--5--4--4
|-6--6--5--5
|-6--5--5--4
|-
|-5--5--5--5

root on A string

1 and 2 = minor7
3 and 4 = maj7
5 and 6 = dominant7
7 = minor7 (b5)
8 = diminshed 7th

9 = D9 (an extention of the 5th one)
|-
|-6--6--7--7--3--7--6--6--5
|-5--5--6--6--5--5--5--4--5
|-7--3--7--4--4--7--6--6--4
|-5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5--5
|-

ok, i'm going to get carried away with every voicing i know so i'll stop (i havent even scratched the surface, but these are the most common ones that you'll be playing)

the best thing to do is firstly, learn how chords and scales are constructed.
secondly, get a jazz theory book (mark levines jazz theory book is a good one)

and most importantly, get a teacher!

also, get a real book (google it) and learn some standards.

also (mk2), learn to play the chords diatonically up the neck (you can google that too)

also (mk3), i could talk about "jazzy" soloing but i couldn't be bothered