There are so many posts by people asking about what to buy that have no idea in mind. I would rather respond in a thread where the poster has at least narrowed down his choices by doing some leg work on his own. In some cases people from other countries ask what to buy and most of us have no idea what's available in their location. Only to be told suggestion after suggestion that it isn't avaliable.

But if the choices have been narrowed down then it becomes a verses thread. I could see if the intention of the poster is just to start an opinion war. But a recent thread was closed because a poster had narrowed down his choice and wanted to know people's opinion to make a final decision. Then the thread was closed. Seems a bit draconian to shut off discussion when it's clear that the poster is trying to get some final opinions before making a choice.
I think it is just because there is no better, just better for 'x' use. That said I've never understood why you can't do a VS thread if you give all the proper info. For instance:

Bad VS thread:
"Which of these is the better amp; x or y."

Good VS thread (at least IMO):
"For these uses, keeping these preferences in mind which of these is the better amp; x or y?"
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Agreed, I think that rule is a bit stupid, unless the poster is trying to start some kind of flame war by doing so.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Usually...threads that are titled 'amp help' or 'help me pick an amp' that are narrowed down to 2 amps already...aren't closed. But if you put amp A vs. amp b as the title, its going to get closed because of the no vs. thread rule...even if the 2 threads contain the same info. So just don't put VS. anywhere in the thread and you should be fine.
They're against the rules isn't that enough?

Note: There's a difference between a thread such as "Fender VS Gibson, and "I've done some research and have narrowed my decision to two choices"
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Nov 2, 2009,
I agree with you OP, I made a thread today about which amp do you think is better in your opinion. I didn't say "which amp is better" I said "which amp do you prefer," thinking that it wasn't a versus thread if I asked the person's own opinion. I guess I was wrong, what I initially thought was a versus thread is not a versus thread, and what I thought was not a versus thread is a versus thread! It's strange, on this site, the rules about versus threads are backwards from the rules on other sites I go to.
It's like jof said earlier today with one he closed.

Peavey Vs Vox - is not a thread.

I'm down to a Peavey Vypyr and a Vox Valvetronix...Help - is a thread.
Do you prefer Vox cleans to Peavey cleans....help - is a thread.

me thinks
EDIT: The above post says what I was trying to say.

Quote by nightraven
people like to get too passionate about some things and flame wars ensue

Fair enough, but that happens anyway.
IMO, I think the rules should state something like "No Verses Threads, except from choices between 2 pieces of equipment. No "Fender Vs. Gibson".
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Last edited by LezPaulEpiphone at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
It's like jof said earlier today with one he closed.

Peavey Vs Vox - is not a thread.

I'm down to a Peavey Vypyr and a Vox Valvetronix...Help - is a thread.
Do you prefer Vox cleans to Peavey cleans....help - is a thread.

me thinks
This ^

There's a huge difference between comparing two specific pieces of gear for a specific application than to compare an entire brand against another. The first is a useful discussion. The second is just an opportunity for fanboy rhetoric and flaming.

Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
IMO, I think the rules should state...
Anyone with normal reading comprehension skills can understand the rules just by reading them. This is one of the reasons why children under 13 are not allowed on UG. There's no need to be verbose in the way the rules are written. Just take a moment to actually read them.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
fly - btw, I'm not totally disagreeing with you and respect your posts here in GGnA.

The point is, the rules are very short and simple and geared toward keeping things clean. So to not obey a basic rule by putting VS. in your title and starting potential flames (intentional or not) is going to get the thread reported. The moderators are busy enough with important things.

(hint - there are other ways to get answers)
I agree that the rules don't need to be changed. But it seems like there should be some common sense in enforcing them. I'm referring to the thread comparing the Vypyr 15 to the MicroCube. It's silly to say that in order to follow the rules that you have to word your question in a specific manner. Especially considering that English isn't the first language for a lot of posters.

It was obvious to me that the poster was trying to make a personal decision on what to buy. But you always have zealous net cops ready to report a thread if "technically" it violates the rules. Unfortunately those people who can understand the letter of the law don't seem to have any common sense. It certainly seemed to me the thread was no worse than the numerous other threads all asking the exact same question... "what amp should I buy".

Are we to discourage people from taking the time of narrowing down to several amps simply because it might come off as versus thread?
Vs implies competition, regardless of the original intent.

Simply replace Vs with Or and you wont have a problem.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by tubetime86
I think it is just because there is no better, just better for 'x' use. That said I've never understood why you can't do a VS thread if you give all the proper info. For instance:

Bad VS thread:
"Which of these is the better amp; x or y."

Good VS thread (at least IMO):
"For these uses, keeping these preferences in mind which of these is the better amp; x or y?"

That. I'm pretty sure that The second type is acceptable. Versus threads are usually considered a versus thread if there are no criteria in mind.