So me (17) and my friend (15) went to a guitar shop yesterday with the intention of playing some Fender Telecasters, Epiphone Les Pauls and a Jackson RR.

We went into the shop and walked around for a abit browsing, as some older guys (40s or 50s) were hogging all the amps and the "isolation room". After about an hour and a half we left to get some lunch and came back an hour later when finally all the guys had stopped playing.

At this point one of the 5 workers in the shop was setting up a guitar and the others were cleaning guitars. Noone else was in the shop. We went and asked if we could play some guitars, and he said "Will you be buying today?" and we replied "Not today but maybe if we like the guitars". We asked to try a Jackson RR24, and he said "No, as its £900". We then tried out some Epiphone SG with EMGs, but through a Line 6 Pod connected to a cab After playing for a while we decided to ask to try out a Epiphone Les Paul, and he simply put the SG back onto the shelves and left us standing.

I thought this was very rude and preceded to go and pick a guitar pick with a £20 note to piss him off.

Previously employees in that shop have been very helpful And I didn't see any justification for him treating us like that, he didn't know how much money we had to spend each, just assumed we had nothing because we weren't regular customers/older men.

tl:dr Me and my mate get mistreated by our guitar worker, dunno the reason.

Any reason why hed be a dick, any similar experiences?

Also how stupid is the question "Are you buying today?" I'll buy if I like the guitar, not depending on what day of the week it is or if I've just decided I want any guitar.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
You realise that someone might want to buy the guitar you want to play in the future, and the more people that play it, the more likely it is to be damaged, and the more damaged it is, the more it's going to hurt the shop's business? It's a £900, I don't blame the guy at all for not letting you play it if you have no intention of buying it.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
See if you can make a complaint to the owneer or whatever. How are you gonna know if you want to buy something if you haven't tried it? Who the hell is he to decide what is or isn't within the budget of the client?

Luckily, I've never had any experiences like this. The guy at the shop I normally go to is an awesome guy, I spend 4 hours talking with him everytime I go, even if it's just for picks or strings.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by CTFOD
You realise that someone might want to buy the guitar you want to play in the future, and the more people that play it, the more likely it is to be damaged, and the more damaged it is, the more it's going to hurt the shop's business? It's a £900, I don't blame the guy at all for not letting you play it if you have no intention of buying it.

On UG we always get advice: "Go out and play the guitars before you buy". Maybe I'm not intending to buy today, cos I have to play different guitars in different places, and then I'll come back to that shop.

How can you decide if you want to buy if you haven't tried the full range of guitars?

Quote by entity0009
See if you can make a complaint to the owneer or whatever. How are you gonna know if you want to buy something if you haven't tried it? Who the hell is he to decide what is or isn't within the budget of the client?

Luckily, I've never had any experiences like this. The guy at the shop I normally go to is an awesome guy, I spend 4 hours talking with him everytime I go, even if it's just for picks or strings.

Totally man. I've been to the shop before, we both had bought amps there, and some awesome guy called Billy arranged an amp shipped in from another store for me, my guitar conked out whilst I was trying it out, he got me a replacement to play, fixed it within 5 minutes too.

I think this guy was just crap.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Nov 2, 2009,
The more it's played, the more likely it is to be damaged, which in turn will lower the value, hurting the shop. If someone else is more likely to come it and want to buy it, but it has cosmetic damage from too many people turning it to drop d and chugging away on it, then he has every right to deny you playing it. You forget, you don't have a right to go in and play the guitar.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
The more it's played, the more likely it is to be damaged, which in turn will lower the value, hurting the shop. If someone else is more likely to come it and want to buy it, but it has cosmetic damage from too many people turning it to drop d and chugging away on it, then he has every right to deny you playing it. You forget, you don't have a right to go in and play the guitar.

Maybe, but one thing is playing it for a few minutes to get the feel of it, and another is saying "ololol dis tuning iz 4 pussiez imma go drop D". To be honest, if I went to a shop with the intention of buying a guitar and they wouldn't let me play it before buying it I'd draw them a quick diagram of where they could shove it and find another shop. Unsatisfied customers who don't buy anything are more detrimental to the shop's income than a couple of snapped E strings or fingermarks.
🙈 🙉 🙊
If he doesnt let me play any guitars, I'm not gonna buy any guitars, and I'm not gonna contribute to the shops income.

You're young, your gonna be under suspicion if your looking at expensive gear. Get used to it. That's unfourtunately how things go a lot of the time.
Quote by archangels666
Okay, serious time.

Were you really considering buying it?

I have £2000 in the bank, and i'm honestly considering buying a new guitar. I need to see if the RR's neck was thick enough for me, and I needed to get the upper fret access on Les Pauls.

You have to build up a reputation with the shop. Because i've been going to the same place for 5 years I can pretty much walk in and touch anything I want.

If i worked there i wouldn't let a couple of teens touch our most expensive products either. Plus you being a dick at the end didn't help your reputation there at all.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I have £2000 in the bank, and i'm honestly considering buying a new guitar. I need to see if the RR's neck was thick enough for me, and I needed to get the upper fret access on Les Pauls.

You should have just said 'I've got the money on me, I just wanna try it out just now to see if I like it'.

Then you could probably complain afterwards.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by EndTheRapture51

The the correct response to "are you buying" is "if I like the guitar enough, yes".
Meh, policies.
You´d be wonderin´how many adults leave inventory broken behind.
Like little kids xD

Some 60yr old walked in and tried to play a marshall tube amp without standbying it first (hitting the obvious power switch).
Tube=Instant blown.

When I asked him if he knows what he´s doing he simply replied:

"Back in the 60´s our amps had no fancy standby button and our tubes didn´t had to warm like this schite."

Clerk and me laughed, old guy walked off and had to pay the tube(s).
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Any reason why hed be a dick
Yeah. Teens are the bane of a music store. Far too many of them look at it as a playground. Just wanna come in and fondle the merchandise, annoy people with LOUD, lame pentatonic wanking, carelessly damage expensive merchandise, etc. Some even steal shit if you don't watch them like a hawk. And for all the bother, they'll likely take the information they've used to make a choice regarding a purchase and go to an online vendor for a lower price.

Just because a teen is a teen doesn't mean they fit that description.
But the likelihood is higher than the old farts you mentioned being like that.

Did he prejudge you, because of your age and appearance? Very likely.
Get used to it. 'it happens.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Also how stupid is the question "Are you buying today?"
Not stupid at all. He's not looking for you to make a commitment to buy. Just asking you about your intentions. Are you intending to buy if you find something that suits your needs? Do you have the financial resources to do that? Are you just here to take advantage of trying out our stuff, but plan to buy elsewhere when the time comes?

It's a long road to ask all those questions.
He got to the essence when he asked what he did.

Quote by Dawnwalker
Meh, policies.
You´d be wonderin´how many adults leave inventory broken behind.
Like little kids xD

Some 60yr old walked in and tried to play a marshall tube amp without standbying it first (hitting the obvious power switch).
Tube=Instant blown.

When I asked him if he knows what he´s doing he simply replied:

"Back in the 60´s our amps had no fancy standby button and our tubes didn´t had to warm like this schite."

Clerk and me laughed, old guy walked off and had to pay the tube(s).
Nice anecdote.
Probability of bullshit = extremely high.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 2, 2009,
It's all about mind-control.
edit:I live in Austria.
COLD climate.
And the old guy plugged a bass into it and cranked everything he could see on the panel.

Also, I like black.

Bah, what happened to "The customer is always right?"

Only in Brothels.

Also, I like black.

You don't understand the incredible amount of jerking around music shop workers get. Every day, they probably get hundreds of kids like you going in to play around on the guitars as if it were an electronic playground.

Look at it from their point of view.
I always have the opposite problem... I went into the damn shop looking to try a MIM tele. I tell the guy specifically what I want, that cheaper is better, and that I wouldn't mind buying used. He proceeds to give me a MIM, but after like a minute he comes running back with the super ultra deluxe mega edition tele with like f*ckin gold plating all over it and begins to give me a lecture about wood and how for only a thousand more dollars I could get a great deal on the one he just brought. DAMN YOU GUITAR CENTER
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Bah, what happened to "The customer is always right?"
But you aren't a customer. You're only a potential customer.

Like it or not, the probability of a teen being an actual customer for a high-end guitar is rather low. Even if you are one of the rare few who eventually buys, there's no way to know that until you exhibit a history of buying.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
GC!=local shop.

Also, I like black.

Quote by barden1069
I always have the opposite problem... I went into the damn shop looking to try a MIM tele. I tell the guy specifically what I want, that cheaper is better, and that I wouldn't mind buying used. He proceeds to give me a MIM, but after like a minute he comes running back with the super ultra deluxe mega edition tele with like f*ckin gold plating all over it and begins to give me a lecture about wood and how for only a thousand more dollars I could get a great deal on the one he just brought. DAMN YOU GUITAR CENTER

This happened to me aswell, funnly enough I was trying out a japanese telecaster, when I'd finished playing I told him I didnt like the neck, the guy went to find me another guitar to try low and behold the most expensive guitar in the shop, which was nice but way out of budget.

So there's some advice for you TS, if you want to play an expensive guitar in a music shop tell them your looking to buy a cheap telecaster.
My local store kicks ass.

Also, I like black.

t/s what shop were you in? i was in a shop today and literally 15 kids were farting about with expensive gear and they were like 'w/e'. some shops can be right cunts tho. i dont think i had anyone say no to be trying a guitar when i was a kid but what you should do is phone one of your parents and tell them to let you and you better believe they will do it.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
what you should do is phone one of your parents and tell them to let you and you better believe they will do it.
This gave me teh giggles.
"Mommy, mommy! They won't let me play with their toys!"

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
This gave me teh giggles.
"Mommy, mommy! They won't let me play with their toys!"

Quite right. I have Gear Addiction Syndrome, but they are all just toys.
lol TS likes BMTH

Also, I like black.

I was in PMT Southend in English.

Me and my mate were the only people in the shop though.

Funny thing is though, they let a girl mate of mine play the drums a week previously. Shes hawt.

Tits or GTFO

Also, I like black.

Grow a beard.
It worked for me

I think it is the age thing primarily. If you look - and more importantly, behave - like an adult then they'll treat you like one.

Or maybe I just have uncommonly nice guys in my guitar shop.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I was in P.M.T. Southend in English.

Me and my mate were the only people in the shop though.

Funny thing is though, they let a girl mate of mine play the drums a week previously. Shes hawt.

there is your problem then
Quote by StrayCatBlues
Grow a beard.
It worked for me

I think it is the age thing primarily. If you look - and more importantly, behave - like an adult then they'll treat you like one.

Or maybe I just have uncommonly nice guys in my guitar shop.

We did behave like adults. We had a nice conversation about MIDI with one of the older guys in the shop who was trying out a Godin. It wasn't like we were being dicks or anything, and it was a rainy day, we couldn't have walked in with suits on or something.

Yeah they are all dicks in guitar shops.

Just the way it is.
Quote by DirtyMakik
Listen to this man, he's got Alex in his avatar, he knows his sh!t.

Quote by dubstar92
awesome avatar dude

Wow a signature