Poll: Which option WOULD BE BETTER FOR ME?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which option WOULD BE BETTER FOR ME?
Roland Micro Cube
6 29%
Peavey Vypyr 15
15 71%
Voters: 21.
Are these good options? Which do you think I should buy if I'm going to be practicing in my room, maybe 65% of the time with headphones. Also, I will be playing hard rock and metal. I don't care about which amp is louder, just which amp can produce a better tone. The only effects I really care about are chorus, reverb, and delay. Also I don't need like a bunch of different complicated parameters and a bunch of sounds, just something that sounds good. Which do you think would be the best for me? I can get them both for the same price.

THERE, I REPHRASED THE THREAD, FOR THAT PERSON WHO REPORTED ME AND GOT MY OLD THREAD CLOSED! HAPPY NOW?!

PS: Thanks EL2T for coming up with a new topic title for me!
Last edited by dsan224 at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
The microcube doesn't have an EQ. so I'd get the Roland 15X.. otherwise, get the Vypyr

Since it's my first amp, I don't really care about equalizer. Besides, the Roland 15X doesn't have reverb/chorus/delay which is what I care about more.
I love my micro cube. It's got all the features I need for practice, plus it's small and can run on batteries. I really recommend it as a practice amp.

I can't comment on the Vypyr as I havent played one so I'm not gonna vote for which one i prefer. But IMO you cant go wrong with a micro cube.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
The Vypyr will be better for metal. The Vypyr has more control over setting reverb, delay, and chorus parameters and allows all combinations of the three, which the microcube doesn't.

On the flip side the Vypyr has a lot more complicated controls because of the additional features. They both sound pretty good for a small practice amp. They both work with headphones. The MicroCube rules if you think you may want to take your guitar to the park or play somewhere that doesn't have power. I take mine out in the boat.
Quote by fly135
The Vypyr will be better for metal. The Vypyr has more control over setting reverb, delay, and chorus parameters and allows all combinations of the three, which the microcube doesn't.

On the flip side the Vypyr has a lot more complicated controls because of the additional features. They both sound pretty good for a small practice amp. They both work with headphones. The MicroCube rules if you think you may want to take your guitar to the park or play somewhere that doesn't have power. I take mine out in the boat.

Yeah since this will be my first amp I really just want to learn to play, I'm just not that type of person who cares about all those effects and parameters and such, when I go to stores or friends house and I have a lot of time with amps, I don't ever change the EQ, I just don't really care about that. I care more about portability and tone.
Quote by QuantumMechanix
Have you played the amps before, TS?

I've played with the Vypyr, and I wasn't too impressed. I mean it sounded good, but it didn't really blow me away. I held the Micro Cube in my hands at my local Guitar Center but I didn't get to try it, I like the style and look of the Micro Cube better, when I look at it, it just makes me want to play guitar more. I've watched countless videos on youtube about both amps, and honestly, I'm more impressed with the Micro Cube, despite the amount of amp models that the Vypyr has.
Quote by dsan224
I've played with the Vypyr, and I wasn't too impressed. I mean it sounded good, but it didn't really blow me away. I held the Micro Cube in my hands at my local Guitar Center but I didn't get to try it, I like the style and look of the Micro Cube better, when I look at it, it just makes me want to play guitar more. I've watched countless videos on youtube about both amps, and honestly, I'm more impressed with the Micro Cube, despite the amount of amp models that the Vypyr has.

That's why you need to mess with the EQ. The Vypyrs I've played all sounded better than the Micro Cube.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If you're distracted by too many options then get the MicroCube. It seems you are leaning that way. I have both and they both sound good for cheap practice amps. You will need a tuner if you get the MicroCube. The "A" pitch tone on the MicroCube is limited in usefulness. However I will say the tuner on the Vypyr isn't the best, but it's better than a pitch tone.
Quote by fly135
If you're distracted by too many options then get the MicroCube. It seems you are leaning that way. I have both and they both sound good for cheap practice amps. You will need a tuner if you get the MicroCube. The "A" pitch tone on the MicroCube is limited in usefulness. However I will say the tuner on the Vypyr isn't the best, but it's better than a pitch tone.

Either way I'm getting a tuner, I've never been a fan of built in amp tuners anyway.
I've played the Vyper, didn't mess with the EQ cause I was demo-ing a guitar, not the amp. I wasn't too impressed but it was ok. You might be able to get some veratile metal tones out of it. It seems to be more geared towards metal than the cube.

But if you don't really care about having a ton of options, why don't you get a non modelling amp? Alot of amps have built in reverb and you could probably get stompboxes for delay and chorus. Just a thought
I hate my sig
I stick by the micro cube. I love mine, it sounds pretty good if occasionally a touch digital, though you will suffer that from all amps of this kind in this price range and it is one of the better ones for it.

It's also really portable (and can run on 6 AA batteries) and is easy to store cos its so small.

P.S. Here's a good video on the microcube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1luLMLplsr8
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I've played the Vyper, didn't mess with the EQ cause I was demo-ing a guitar, not the amp. I wasn't too impressed but it was ok. You might be able to get some veratile metal tones out of it. It seems to be more geared towards metal than the cube.

But if you don't really care about having a ton of options, why don't you get a non modelling amp? Alot of amps have built in reverb and you could probably get stompboxes for delay and chorus. Just a thought

Because since I'm a beginner, I don't REALLY know all that well what I like. So if I get an amp that has a whole bunch of models, then in the future I can get a different amp dedicated to a specific model that I like.
Quote by dsan224
Because since I'm a beginner, I don't REALLY know all that well what I like. So if I get an amp that has a whole bunch of models, then in the future I can get a different amp dedicated to a specific model that I like.

Ok. Well they're both good beginner amps. Try them both out and see what you like. Good luck
I hate my sig
Although you think you don't need the EQ now, I would reccomend an amp with it. I would suggest the Vypyr 15, although I have only used the 30W and am unsure whether the 15 has EQ's.
KK since I have a few weeks before I get my guitar I guess I'll try them both out and play with em a lot, hopefully I'll make the right choice.
They are both cheap. Buy the Vypyr and later wish you could use batteries. Or buy the MicroCube and later you wish you had more amp models (especially Metal) and FX. That's about the only ways to go wrong.
Quote by fly135
They are both cheap. Buy the Vypyr and later wish you could use batteries. Or buy the MicroCube and later you wish you had more amp models (especially Metal) and FX. That's about the only ways to go wrong.

When I hear all of the Vypyr's 24 amp models, honestly many of them sound similar. The high gain metal amp models on the green light sound pretty much the same as the clean amp models on the red light. There just isn't that big of a difference in sound IMO, while the Roland Micro Cube's 7 amp models sound distinct to me. Idk I know it sounds like I'm leaning towards the Micro Cube, which I kinda am, but the fact that there are 24 different amp models doesn't really impress me, considering many of them sound similar IMHO.
When you get into dialing in tones you might find that certain settings are better than others. You also have far more options in mixing delay, reverb, and other FX on the Vypyr. A lot of people listen to an amp in the shop and make the mistake of thinking they heard it all.

I have a Super Champ XD and love the amp. Some setting work with humbuckers and other models are too dark and muddy with them. Use a guitar with single coils and it sounds different. So you can't discount want seems like extra useless settings until you've had the amp for a while.

The MicroCube is a fine choice. If you like it, you should get it.
Quote by fly135
When you get into dialing in tones you might find that certain settings are better than others. You also have far more options in mixing delay, reverb, and other FX on the Vypyr. A lot of people listen to an amp in the shop and make the mistake of thinking they heard it all.

I have a Super Champ XD and love the amp. Some setting work with humbuckers and other models are too dark and muddy with them. Use a guitar with single coils and it sounds different. So you can't discount want seems like extra useless settings until you've had the amp for a while.

The MicroCube is a fine choice. If you like it, you should get it.

Argh, now as I'm leaning to the Vypyr you say at the very end the Micro Cube is a fine choice! HARD DECISION!
Im gonna recomended a vox valvatronix

Dont know how much more expensive they are we you live. But ive played one and it sounded pretty good for a beginner amp... Tonnes of effects and shit to mess around with.

Out of the two you suggested, i would go with the vyper since they have such a good rep around here on ug ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.