when im finger picking, my fingers have to hit off something to stop so i can go faster right? so ive found that when i hit my fingers off of the pickup i can go faster then when i go off of the body, since the pickup is closer to the strings. yet i rest my thumb on that same pickup so its really uncomfortable. so does it make sense to get a thumb rest for the purpose of being able to have my fingers hit off of the pickup in a comfortable position?
i dont get what you are on about with the fingers hitting off the body making you go faster... if anything that should make you slower as there is a resistance acting against the movement of your fingers,

but yeah if you think it is going to be more comfortable, get a thumb rest. there is no shame in it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by baskerville22
when im finger picking, my fingers have to hit off something to stop so i can go faster right? so ive found that when i hit my fingers off of the pickup i can go faster then when i go off of the body, since the pickup is closer to the strings. yet i rest my thumb on that same pickup so its really uncomfortable. so does it make sense to get a thumb rest for the purpose of being able to have my fingers hit off of the pickup in a comfortable position?

Uh...

What?
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
ok ya it doesnt make sense but when you are finger picking (i just started btw) when your finger strokes a string and then you go to stroke agian, does your finger bounce off of anything or are your fingers just strong enough to stop on their own? i hope that makes a little more sense, if not o well i guess i cant explain it
They tend to stop on their own.

Though this "stupid" device called a ramp exists which stops you digging in too hard, apparently...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Im a little unsure by what you mean by "bounce off of anything," just having a difficult time visualizing it. But why not try out a thumbrest? Find a bass at a shop that has one and try it to see if it makes things more comfortable for you. Or just buy a thumbrest, they're only a couple bucks
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I understand what you're saying. I've thought about buying a 5 string just so I can play faster on the E string. If you can make it work, go for it.
If all else fails, practice will help you overcome any barrier. It'll make you a better player overall if you learn to compensate for these things.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Zycho
I understand what you're saying. I've thought about buying a 5 string just so I can play faster on the E string. If you can make it work, go for it.

I've had that exact same thought.
Yeah, something I said once was epic, I have proof:
Quote by bowdyyz69
aha that was epic

Also:
Quote by Kensai
Yeah I was hoping for robotsex.
Screw context.
learn to move your anchoring position. it should not affect your playing to be without a physical anchor. not all basses have a pickup where you want to mount it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom