Okay I am wondering what kind of Amp and pedals that would be good to get these kind of tones. Instead of just the genres (THAT IS TOO BROAD!) I will name some bands to describe what I mean. And modulation pedals arnt what im asking about. What distortion and overdrive pedals because in my case I personally would rather have a clean amp so tones could be built on it with pedals.
Now for the bands-
The Black Keys
John Mayall and the Blues breakers
Peter green
The Yardbirds
Cream
Johnny Winter
My morning jacket
The Raconteurs (really all jack white's stuff)
Manchester Orchestra
Zeppelin
Jeff Beck
The police
Back Door Slam
OLD kings of Leon
MC5
Santana
CCR
Allman bros

Im not asking which amp to buy or anything so gigging and budget does not matter. For the sake of argument we will say an amp for Large gigs like festivals and what not. Iv looked up alot of these bands rigs and Im just wondering what kind of set up would be good to get all these tones (If even possible)

Just want your opinions UG
If love was money I could afford you honey.

Bandalism [Ban-dil-i-zem] n.: the willful or malicious destruction of, or damage to, the fabric of a rock/pop/indie/metal group brought about by one or more of its members.
A Twin, Zendrive 2, Crunch Box, Big Muff, whammy and some sort of delay would probably do it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
10 of those tones you can get with a JTM-45 clone/JTM-45 or a Tweed Bassman. Or something similar.
That's quite a list. I can dial in pretty much any tone with my Super Champ XD. I finally plugged my pedal board into it for the first time last night. It takes pedals well.

But your question seems to be more oriented towards designing a rig for each artist. There are web sites that show what gear each artist uses. I can't recall the URL but maybe someone else here can direct you.
well,
i have a cry baby q535 which would certainly work for the beck zepplin yardbirds type of shiz for police loads of chorus and delay
santana uses mesa boogie rectifiers i think so something that would emulate them possibly a metal muff by electro harmonix,
maybe even get a rocktron banshee II talkbox
allman bros a slide and a blues driver pedal by boss

http://www.youtube.com/user/ryaniomitch
Quote by mmolteratx
A Twin, Zendrive 2, Crunch Box, Big Muff, whammy and some sort of delay would probably do it.

A twin for zeppelin, the black keys, Jeff Beck, the MC5, and Beano-Cream Clapton? No.
Quote by ryaniomitch
well,
i have a cry baby q535 which would certainly work for the beck zepplin yardbirds type of shiz for police loads of chorus and delay
santana uses mesa boogie rectifiers i think so something that would emulate them possibly a metal muff by electro harmonix,

No. No no no no no no no.
Quote by imgooley
A twin for zeppelin, the black keys, Jeff Beck, the MC5, and Beano-Cream Clapton? No.

He said he wanted a clean amp with pedals so I said a Twin with a Crunch Box and Zendrive. I'd go with an amp for those tones but whatever, he wanted pedals.

Quote by ryaniomitch
well,

This is quite possibly the stupidest post I've seen in the last few months. And no one gives a shit about your YouTube videos.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Nov 2, 2009,
Line 6 AX2. 'Nuff said.

But in all reality, probably a Peavy Classic 30 or 50 with a BOSS SD-1 and some kind of Fuzz pedal. The Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz V3 works very nice. I own both of those.

EDIT: my bad, I though you were looking for amp AND pedal suggestions, not just pedals.

Ok, new list.

-BOSS SD-1
-Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz V3
-Lovepedal Les Lius to get Fender tones
-Probably a Cry Baby
-Enough reverb pedals to make your head explode for My Morning Jacket (or just record in a grain silo. that's what they did for their first couple of albums.)

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Last edited by lkngro at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by fly135
That's quite a list. I can dial in pretty much any tone with my Super Champ XD. I finally plugged my pedal board into it for the first time last night. It takes pedals well.

But your question seems to be more oriented towards designing a rig for each artist. There are web sites that show what gear each artist uses. I can't recall the URL but maybe someone else here can direct you.

I know. I looked up alot of there rigs. lol. everyone else was right jus a rig that could do it all well. Hey gooley didnt Dan use some twin reverbs with the keys? I mean im almost positive he did, there is a video on youtube of him a twin and a bassman. Alot of people would automatically say fender because of the cleans. and twin reverbs are THE clean amps.

Bandalism [Ban-dil-i-zem] n.: the willful or malicious destruction of, or damage to, the fabric of a rock/pop/indie/metal group brought about by one or more of its members.
Last edited by The3rdMugician at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
He said he wanted a clean amp with pedals so I said a Twin with a Crunch Box and Zendrive. I'd go with an amp for those tones but whatever, he wanted pedals.

Yeah, clean doesn't mean flat. Not saying a twin is flat, but it has a huge mid scoop, and a big ass end. Good for a lot of things, not for those tones. Pedals add to amp tone, and ultimately, final tone. They don't generate the main meat of the tone. Furthermore, different pedals react differently to different amps.

Also, seeing as the different types of fuzzes used by each of said artists varies very much, a good foundation (i.e. the amp) needs to be solid.
Alot of the fuzz tones are really different. I mean a MKII for page, Duane used an old fuzz face, jack white with the big muff, auerbauch uses green sovetek muffs and clones of them and such. I dont really know any of the other fuzz tones are. i jus knew those off the top of my head.

Quote by The3rdMugician
I know. I looked up alot of there rigs. lol. everyone else was right jus a rig that could do it all well. Hey gooley didnt Dan use some twin reverbs with the keys? I mean im almost positive he did, there is a video on youtube of him a twin and a bassman. Alot of people would automatically say fender because of the cleans. and twin reverbs are THE clean amps.

Dan did not use a twin as far as I'm aware. Last time I saw them live was in 08, though, and Dan was using a massive Marshall rig along side a tweed bassman. The opening band was running a twin. And the tone was a wash.

He used 2 bassman amps on the Rubber Factory and Thickfreakness tours, the Marshall/Bassman rig on the Magic Potion and Attack and Release tours, and has used various other amps, including Ampeg, Silvertone, Hiwatt, Orange, and a bunch others.

Also: Jack White uses a twin, but from what I can hear, the meat of his tone comes from his Silvertone Twin 12, which sounds more tweed than blackface. The twin adds definition to his tone, which is important in a 2 piece garage band.
Quote by imgooley
Yeah, clean doesn't mean flat. Not saying a twin is flat, but it has a huge mid scoop, and a big ass end. Good for a lot of things, not for those tones. Pedals add to amp tone, and ultimately, final tone. They don't generate the main meat of the tone. Furthermore, different pedals react differently to different amps.

Also, seeing as the different types of fuzzes used by each of said artists varies very much, a good foundation (i.e. the amp) needs to be solid.

You make a good point but it'll atleast sound decent. If I was going for this, I'd just skip the pedals and get a decent Marshall or clone and a few fuzzes.

EDIT: Also, +1 to the tweeds. I don't know why but I never think of them when it comes to clean amps. Probably because I generally associate tweed with the Champ and Deluxe.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by The3rdMugician
Alot of the fuzz tones are really different. I mean a MKII for page, Duane used an old fuzz face, jack white with the big muff, auerbauch uses green sovetek muffs and clones of them and such. I dont really know any of the other fuzz tones are. i jus knew those off the top of my head.

Like I said, start with a good foundation and build up. That means amp first, then dirt, then boost, then modulation/filter/time effects.

Do we have a budget?
no no. its not a new rig thread. its jus suggestions. i actually have a BC30 like you gooley

Quote by mmolteratx
You make a good point but it'll atleast sound decent. If I was going for this, I'd just skip the pedals and get a decent Marshall or clone and a few fuzzes.

Oh, no doubt it would sound good. In my mind, though, twin+muff=90's alternative. Not that they had bad tones, but it's a different type than what is being sought after here.

Of course, I also think that the Twin is the most bland amp that Fender makes, aside from their entry level stuff and the hotrod series, so hey
Quote by imgooley
Oh, no doubt it would sound good. In my mind, though, twin+muff=90's alternative. Not that they had bad tones, but it's a different type than what is being sought after here.

Of course, I also think that the Twin is the most bland amp that Fender makes, aside from their entry level stuff and the hotrod series, so hey

Yeah, different strokes I guess. I'm more of a jazz guy so I like the Twin, although nowhere near as much as the Deluxe.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by The3rdMugician
no no. its not a new rig thread. its jus suggestions. i actually have a BC30 like you gooley

Then you're set on an amp if you want to run a single amp setup. Seriously, I think the BC30 is the best amp that I've played in its price range, new or used.

If you want to run a two amp setup, you'd be good with a ton of different amps, like aforementioned JTM-45's, Bassman Amps, something like an Orange Rocker 30, a Reeves Custom 30/50, a Laney GH50L, and a ton of other different amps.

For boosts, I'd check out the Homebrew Dos Mos, Uno Mos, Germania, and their other overdrives, as well as Lovepedal, Fulltone (the fatboost), Earthquaker, and a bunch others.

Look here: http://www.proguitarshop.com/index.php?CategoryID=9

For fuzz, first place I'd go is either a Russian Muff (the cheap) and mod it, a Belcat fuzz (also cheap), an MXR Classic 108, anything by MJM, anything by Blackout, and a bunch others.

Look here: http://www.proguitarshop.com/index.php?CategoryID=9 and here http://www.stompunderfoot.com/BIG_MUFFS.html

For wah, a standard vox will work, but you might want a Fulltone Clyde, or a Teese wah.
Quote by mmolteratx
Yeah, different strokes I guess. I'm more of a jazz guy so I like the Twin, although nowhere near as much as the Deluxe.

I see what you're saying, and I'm a jazz guy too, but I compare all blackfaced amps to a Super, which kicks all their asses.
i actually have a LBP1, american and russian muffs, and thats preety much how i run my keys stype stuff. i have a semi hollow, a white 3 humbucker sg with maestro and tele so im pretty happy with the garage rock set up. Im seein dan on his solo tour on the 21st in nashville. he is using bassman on this tour

Quote by The3rdMugician
i actually have a LBP1, american and russian muffs, and thats preety much how i run my keys stype stuff. i have a semi hollow, a white 3 humbucker sg with maestro and tele so im pretty happy with the garage rock set up. Im seein dan on his solo tour on the 21st in nashville. he is using bassman on this tour

Well there you go. You're pretty much all set. Hell, I run almost the same setup
The3rdMugician, mod one of your Russian Muffs. Replacing the crappy components in there for metal film resistors and some metal poly film capacitors makes a huge difference. A lot of the stock parts have poor tolerance, like 20-30% off.

threadstarter, a budget will really help us get an idea of what amps to recommend. "No budget" always results in recommendations all across the board.
Also, what country are you in?
Quote by forsaknazrael
The3rdMugician, mod one of your Russian Muffs. Replacing the crappy components in there for metal film resistors and some metal poly film capacitors makes a huge difference. A lot of the stock parts have poor tolerance, like 20-30% off.

threadstarter, a budget will really help us get an idea of what amps to recommend. "No budget" always results in recommendations all across the board.
Also, what country are you in?

The3rdMugician is the thread starter.
Quote by The3rdMugician
i actually have a LBP1, american and russian muffs...
I have a Russian Muff. Is the American version different enough to warrant having one of each?