As the title suggests, I am looking for a high gain head or combo for under £500:

-£500 is my absolute limit
-Tone wise, heavy pretty much sums it up. Going to be used for lead guitar, for covers of bands like Children Of Bodom, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, Arch Enemy, Machine head, and Slipknot.
-I don't have a preference between solid state or valve, as long as it gets the job done.
-Guitar playing through it will be an ESP LTD V-500, so active pickups.

So far, from looking online, I've checked out the Peavey Valveking, Randall RX75G2, Randall RX120D, Bugera 6260, Bugera 6262, and Bugera 333XL.

Any other suggestions? And what are people's opinions on the amps I've listed, would they suit the kinda of thing I play? Looking for that massive low end, without it being all loose and undefined (like I've got at the moment, with a boss ML-2 and a marshall lead 12), but still able to get those great almost blurry rounded lead/solo sounds when I use the neck pickup.

Thanks in advance!
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
id say for what u want out of ur choices the 333xl or the 6262
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
You might try to get a used 5150. I'd personally avoid the VK being the not so proud owner of one. You could make it a nice amp if you did some work on it though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Try Blackstar's heads as well..they are relatively cheap and i heard they are pretty good. Haven't tried any of them myself.
I have to admit, I was never really planning on even considering buying the valveking as I'd heard alot of bad things about it, but I listed it just incase it was all just rumour.

I was looking at a used Peavey 5150 this morning on ebay: £550. Too pricey, and of course it went pretty damn fast after being listed.

As both the solid state Randall's and the tube Bugeras, is there actualy any up sides to having tubes as opposed to a solid state? Or is it really just a case of different tone?

I hadnt considered black star at all, I was under the impression they were't particularly high gain. I'll have a gander now.
Im in the same situation as you mate, ive decided to go for a Bugera 6262 combo, you can get them from www.gak.co.uk for £369 at the moment, if I were you id jump on it because all other website are selling them for over £400, id order one now if I could but unfortunately i have no money

Basically from what ive heard/read they are fantastic sounding amps, similar to the 6505 but with a much better clean channel and better bottom end. Im not sure how the speakers are in the combo's but ive checked out lots of videos and to me they sound pretty decent.

If your still unsure I suggest you go on youtube and listen to some clips, there is a guy called dingle1 that has made a couple of really good sounding clips.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by pigeonmafia
As both the solid state Randall's and the tube Bugeras, is there actualy any up sides to having tubes as opposed to a solid state? Or is it really just a case of different tone?

I hadnt considered black star at all, I was under the impression they were't particularly high gain. I'll have a gander now.

Tubes generally sound better, they clip softer than solid state and sound better and better as you turn up the volume, although the Bugera's still sound good at low volumes too.

I was going to get a blackstar but after playing one (HT-5) ive decided they are more old school rock/metal amps rather than modern metal amps. I dont think the voicing is right for stuff like Trivium/COB/etc.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
£500?? your best bet is a Bugera 6262 combo, they may not have the best build quality in the world and i've heard a load of bad stuff happening to them but i have played through one and it is pretty damn good. its essentially a 5150 peavy copy. but yeah i'd go for that, and GAK is doing a pretty epic deal on it atm
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by pigeonmafia
I have to admit, I was never really planning on even considering buying the valveking as I'd heard alot of bad things about it, but I listed it just incase it was all just rumour.
It's whether it sounds good to your ears. It doesn't particularly matter what the rumours are. Although, the rumours around Spider III amps being poor is something I'd advice you listen to.
I was looking at a used Peavey 5150 this morning on ebay: £550. Too pricey, and of course it went pretty damn fast after being listed.
Can you wait until you save up that little bit more?
It is just a case of different tone. Apples and Oranges. Although, the majority of folks find the Oranges (solid state) to be overly bitter and dry.

As mentioned, valve amps break up naturally, while solid state amps use hard-clipping through transistors and programming to find their distorted tones. The benefit of that is your tone stays the same pretty much at all volumes (but the cheap models tend to become harsh and brittle at higher volumes. I'm not sure why)
The harder you push a valve amp, however, the nicer tone you'll find. On a negative point, though, some valve amps sound crap at low volumes, even expensive ones. Fortunately, the Bugera 6262 is exempt of that.

Speaking of which, are you gigging?
Blackstar are ideal for high-gain.

Quote by serbusfish
Im in the same situation as you mate, ive decided to go for a Bugera 6262 combo, you can get them from www.gak.co.uk for £369 at the moment, if I were you id jump on it because all other website are selling them for over £400, id order one now if I could but unfortunately i have no money

Basically from what ive heard/read they are fantastic sounding amps, similar to the 6505 but with a much better clean channel and better bottom end. Im not sure how the speakers are in the combo's but ive checked out lots of videos and to me they sound pretty decent.

If your still unsure I suggest you go on youtube and listen to some clips, there is a guy called dingle1 that has made a couple of really good sounding clips.
+1
Quote by AngryGoldfish
It's whether it sounds good to your ears. It doesn't particularly matter what the rumours are. Although, the rumours around Spider III amps being poor is something I'd advice you listen to.

Don't worry, there are some rumours that I know I have to listen to

Quote by AngryGoldfish

Can you wait until you save up that little bit more?

Sadly no, I'm at university: between peoples bday presents, traveling to uni and back, and traveling to see my gf, this is as much money as I will be able to save for a while. Even then, it's only because I'm going to put my Ibanez up for sale in a few days to get a bit more cash to make up the £500

Quote by AngryGoldfish

It is just a case of different tone. Apples and Oranges. Although, the majority of folks find the Oranges (solid state) to be overly bitter and dry.

Ah okay, thanks

Quote by AngryGoldfish

As mentioned, valve amps break up naturally, while solid state amps use hard-clipping through transistors and programming to find their distorted tones. The benefit of that is your tone stays the same pretty much at all volumes (but the cheap models tend to become harsh and brittle at higher volumes. I'm not sure why)
The harder you push a valve amp, however, the nicer tone you'll find. On a negative point, though, some valve amps sound crap at low volumes, even expensive ones. Fortunately, the Bugera 6262 is exempt of that.

The 6262 is looking more attractive by the minute lol

Quote by AngryGoldfish

Speaking of which, are you gigging?

I am, or should I say, will be very soon.

Quote by AngryGoldfish

Blackstar are ideal for high-gain.

I will def have a GOOD look then
The Bugera 6262 is 120 watts. That's incredibly loud. If you like to push your amps hard, it may not be the most suitable for your college dorm. But you did say you will soon be gigging, and in that case, it's perfect.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Bugera 6262 is 120 watts. That's incredibly loud. If you like to push your amps hard, it may not be the most suitable for your college dorm. But you did say you will soon be gigging, and in that case, it's perfect.

I'm not living on campus, still at home, as the uni is only a 5 minute train journey away.

Yeah, the primary reason for looking at getting a head is for gigging or practicing/jamming with friends. My dad has a 200w marshall something, quite old, and it's not *quite* going to cut it lol.

Had a look at blackstar: I could only find the series one for about £900, and that was the 45watt combo. Bit much sadly :/
Quote by pigeonmafia
I'm not living on campus, still at home, as the uni is only a 5 minute train journey away.

Yeah, the primary reason for looking at getting a head is for gigging or practicing/jamming with friends. My dad has a 200w marshall something, quite old, and it's not *quite* going to cut it lol.

Had a look at blackstar: I could only find the series one for about £900, and that was the 45watt combo. Bit much sadly :/
People recommended the Blackstar amps before you mentioned that you were gigging, I think. And the only Blackstar availible within your budget is the infamous HT-5, which is only 5 watts and won't be loud enough to gig with or heard over a rock drummer.

You don't necessarily need a head for live work. A combo is fine, either.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by AngryGoldfish
People recommended the Blackstar amps before you mentioned that you were gigging, I think. And the only Blackstar availible within your budget is the infamous HT-5, which is only 5 watts and won't be loud enough to gig with or heard over a rock drummer.

You don't necessarily need a head for live work. A combo is fine, either.

I only mentioned it was the combo to say that even the smallest of the range was too much.
Do you guys have the 6505+ 1x12 combo over there? If so (and if its in your budget) then that would be ideal for what you're wanting to play.

If not, go with the Bugera 6262.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Do you guys have the 6505+ 1x12 combo over there? If so (and if its in your budget) then that would be ideal for what you're wanting to play.

If not, go with the Bugera 6262.

We do, but its £1000 (or £500 from DV247. Which is odd. But they have none atm so I'm not holding my breath)
Quote by pigeonmafia
We do, but its £1000 (or £500 from DV247. Which is odd. But they have none atm so I'm not holding my breath)
You're probably thinking of two different amps.
Peavey have released recently a 60 watt, 1x12 version of their 2x12, 120 watt version.
This was a 60watt 1x12 that was was £450
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/peavey-6505-plus-combo-guitar-amp-combo--62051

And a 60watt 2x12 that was £1100
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-6505-combo/67845

Off topic question, why would one extra speaker double the price?
Hmm, that does seem odd. GAK have been known to charge extortionate prices; maybe they've took it that bit further.
Quote by pigeonmafia
This was a 60watt 1x12 that was was £450
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/peavey-6505-plus-combo-guitar-amp-combo--62051

And a 60watt 2x12 that was £1100
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-6505-combo/67845

Off topic question, why would one extra speaker double the price?

Well one of those amps is a 6505 and the other one is a 6505+

The interesting thing here though is that the 6505+ head costs more than the 6505 head. The 1x12 you posted is the 6505+ model and the 2x12 is the 6505 model - you would think that those two amps would be much closer in price.
I'd suggest t00bs for the type of metal you play, but we might be past that already lol. Solid states are generally colder..as in, less feel to them. Tubes are warmer and you can really get a subtle difference in sound outta them when played correctly.

I HIGHLY suggest a 6505/5150 and od an for you. Slap an od in front of a 5150/6505 and you're in chug city. Most of the bands you listed have used this amp in this fashion or have an "american" sound to their tone.
Mah Rig
Guitars:
BC Rich Mockingbird (X2N)
Schecter Hellraiser (81/85)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 head (Distortion obv)
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
Quote by uncreativelolol
I'd suggest t00bs for the type of metal you play, but we might be past that already lol. Solid states are generally colder..as in, less feel to them. Tubes are warmer and you can really get a subtle difference in sound outta them when played correctly.

I HIGHLY suggest a 6505/5150 and od an for you. Slap an od in front of a 5150/6505 and you're in chug city. Most of the bands you listed have used this amp in this fashion or have an "american" sound to their tone.

Then you've obviously never heard an Ampeg VH140 or any of the higher end Randall SS amps.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Then you've obviously never heard an Ampeg VH140 or any of the higher end Randall SS amps.

Ampeg no, randall yes. I still stand by my statement. Neither is better than the other, but they both are different monsters imo. You can roll your eyes and play me off "like I dont know whats what in the butt" but it doesn't change my subjective opinion about two types of amps.
Mah Rig
Guitars:

Amps:
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
Quote by uncreativelolol
Ampeg no, randall yes. I still stand by my statement. Neither is better than the other, but they both are different monsters imo. You can roll your eyes and play me off "like I dont know whats what in the butt" but it doesn't change my subjective opinion about two types of amps.

I don't need to know about your sex life.

The reason I rolled my eyes at you is because you come in here with the typical attitude of "teh t00bs are s0 much better! SS amps suckzorz!" and saying that the 6505 is so awesome. Honestly, the Ampeg VH140 would win a lot of people's votes over a 5150/6505.

The VH140 really can hold its own against a lot of higher end tube amps.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I don't need to know about your sex life.

WHOOSH

The reason I rolled my eyes at you is because you come in here with the typical attitude of "teh t00bs are s0 much better! SS amps suckzorz!" and saying that the 6505 is so awesome. Honestly, the Ampeg VH140 would win a lot of people's votes over a 5150/6505.

The VH140 really can hold its own against a lot of higher end tube amps.

Yo bro

I still stand by my statement. Neither is better than the other, but they both are different monsters imo.

How am I saying t00bz are better again? I only suggested them and the 5150 because iirc Arch Enemy use to use 'em with a TS for leads. Most of the bands he listed also just so happen to use tube amps (!). Amazing what reading comprehension sprinkled with some logical reasoning can do, huh?

Now a quick google tells me the Crate GT3500h is the same ampeg amp you speak of. This is an amp, funny enough, I actually heard halloween night. Chunky mofo and was really grindy in tone, but it still sounded like a solid state. Really nice amp, yessir, but wasn't the same sound as a tube amp. A good example is old dying fetus to new dying fetus. That band right there, tone-wise, might aswell be a ampeg vs 5150 debate. Since the band, live, started with that ampeg sound and has later moved more into the 5150 sound. They're close, but with subtle differences.

tl;dr differences in amps are subtle; you seem to miss jokes
Mah Rig
Guitars:

Amps:
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
Quote by uncreativelolol
How am I saying t00bz are better again? I only suggested them and the 5150 because iirc Arch Enemy use to use 'em with a TS for leads. Most of the bands he listed also just so happen to use tube amps (!). Amazing what reading comprehension sprinkled with some logical reasoning can do, huh?

Now a quick google tells me the Crate GT3500h is the same ampeg amp you speak of. This is an amp, funny enough, I actually heard halloween night. Chunky mofo and was really grindy in tone, but it still sounded like a solid state. Really nice amp, yessir, but wasn't the same sound as a tube amp. A good example is old dying fetus to new dying fetus. That band right there, tone-wise, might aswell be a ampeg vs 5150 debate. Since the band, live, started with that ampeg sound and has later moved more into the 5150 sound. They're close, but with subtle differences.

tl;dr differences in amps are subtle; you seem to miss jokes

Nope. Arch Enemy uses Randall Ninjas (yes, they use hybrid amps).

Also saying the Crate amp is the same as the Ampeg would be like saying a Bugera 6262 is the same as a 6505 - they are similar but not the same. The Ampeg is a much better sounding amp than the Crate.

Quote by uncreativelolol

Thats pretty much saying that tubes are better. After I pointed out that you were wrong you quickly changed your tune and said "One isn't better than the other".
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well one of those amps is a 6505 and the other one is a 6505+

The interesting thing here though is that the 6505+ head costs more than the 6505 head. The 1x12 you posted is the 6505+ model and the 2x12 is the 6505 model - you would think that those two amps would be much closer in price.
I didn't even notice that.

Thanks for making look like a dipsh*t, Will.
Hey, I (obviously) didn't notice either
*bump*

Sorry for the double post.

Just to confirm, if I was looking at heads (for arguments sake), I should be looking at the bugera 6262, and NOT the bugera 333XL?
Quote by pigeonmafia
*bump*

Sorry for the double post.

Just to confirm, if I was looking at heads (for arguments sake), I should be looking at the bugera 6262, and NOT the bugera 333XL?
I can't say I've played the 333XL personally, but I'm not that fussed by the sound clips and reviews. But still, try them both. It can't hurt, maybe you'll really like it.
i would say the 6262 would be "heavier" for you
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by imaginary.frnd
Let's fight!

T00bz FTW!

reported

TS: If it came down to those two amps then the 6262 would sound better for heavier stuff, but in the end it's all about what you prefer.
Okay, cheers everyone. No where near me seems to stock them (which is why I rely on UG so much when buying new guitar gear), but I'll try and find somewhere near by to try a 333XL and a 6262, somehow.

Thanks for all the help!