Alright, I'm not 100% if this is the right place for this post, however bear with me haha .

Alright... so I have no problem coming up with an intro, or finding a nice sound that flows, but it's after I have that, that the trouble arises. I have a lot of trouble finding the sound I want to come next. My problem is not being able to recognize the sound, as I know what sound I want in my head - the problem is finding the sound on the fretboard. For example, I just made up this little melody for this thread, it's quite simple yet I like the feel of it... It's played nice and slow, with an amp using the delay effect and other minor modifications. But it can really be played however you want, I'm just saying how I'm doing it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------11-9---7-9-7--6-----------11-9---7-9-7--6-----------------
---9----------------------7-----9-------------------------------------

Now what I have in mind for after this little intro, is I might repeat what was played there twice, and then I want to start gradually speeding it up into the main portion of the song. The problem that arises here is knowing the sound I want but not being able to find it. In my mind, there are only so many notes that are going to sound good with what was just played here, and I'm sure there's some piece of music theory that gives you a general idea of what and where they are. However what I have in mind, is I want to start gradually playing these same notes faster, but I want them to have a more "full" sound, meaning I want to play each note as a chord. Then the problem arises, how am I supposed to figure out a chord shape to match the sound of each singular note.

That whole aspect of things boggles my mind a little, and unless you're just supposed to randomly mess around all day trying to find the chord that fits, I'm at a bit of a loss. So, if any of you wise musicians could give me a hand here, it would be much appreciated :].
If you knew what key you were in you would know what notes sound "good" or the notes that are in the key and then you could figure out the chords to play behind those notes.
Ahh, so first I have to figure out what key I'm in, and then using the notes in that key I could mess around to find the sound I want. Gotcha.

Thanks
Quote by Asthuran
Ahh, so first I have to figure out what key I'm in, and then using the notes in that key I could mess around to find the sound I want. Gotcha.

Thanks

Yep exactly, no problem dude.
Quote by KoenDercksen
Tip, just figure out the key by ear, doing it by notes takes so long >_>

Haha, honestly, I don't even know how to figure out what key I'm in, so I guess I'm just going to have to start from scratch.

But at least I know what direction I need to go in now, so I'm not completely lost haha.
the melody looks to be F# dorian.key of E major try F#min chord

the notes are also the same in aeolian key of A Maj.
Last edited by fretboard12 at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by fretboard12
the melody looks to be F# dorian.key of E major try F#min chord

the notes are also the same in aeolian key of A Maj.

i agree F#minor would be a perfect chord to start out with it fits the scale nicely but i would prolly go with the F# aeolian because of the D in the little intro ya got i believe all the notes match up but im not positive while the F# dorian has a D# instead of the natural D...so anyways yea A major scale all the way
Quote by nugefan
i agree F#minor would be a perfect chord to start out with it fits the scale nicely but i would prolly go with the F# aeolian because of the D in the little intro ya got i believe all the notes match up but im not positive while the F# dorian has a D# instead of the natural D...so anyways yea A major scale all the way

TS, disregard this post.
It seems like the first line of tab you posted is in F♯m and the second line of tab you posted is in Bm. You really should just read some articles to learn how to determine the key, and the chords in each key, and then learn some modulations, and eventually you should be able to play what you want, and name it appropriately, and won't need to ask for help. You won't get the best answers on threads when you ask broad questions though; you have to read articles, and then ask specific questions which we do answer.
To me, it sounds like it wants to resolve to E.

I also like the first line moving up and repeating starting on G# (as opposed to B), then heading back to the F#.

EDIT: Like this:

------13-11--9-11-9--7----------13-11--9-11-9--7--6-7-6-----
---11----------------------9-----11-------------------------------7-9
Last edited by NoOne0507 at Nov 3, 2009,
Looks like its in Bm all the way. Why the F#m? A good starting chord would be Bm, then maybe E and F#. Play Bm on the 7th Fret, E on the 7th fret and F# on the 2nd fret. Sounds like the melody.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by hitman_47
Looks like its in Bm all the way. Why the F#m? A good starting chord would be Bm, then maybe E and F#. Play Bm on the 7th Fret, E on the 7th fret and F# on the 2nd fret. Sounds like the melody.

I suggested using two keys, since its quite clear that he just transposed the second phrase up a fourth from the first.
Quote by fretboard12
well there you go Asthuran plenty for your idea.

Haha yeah. I'm sure it was all great advice, and I understand what everyones saying, it's just the fact that I don't know how to come to those conclusions on my own, and I guess no one can explain that to me without explaining the entire basis of music theory in itself which would probably be a serious pain haha.

So, I thank you all for the input and advice, however the one thing I have learned from this thread is that starting in the middle and trying to piece things together just isn't going to work, I'll just have to start at the beginning and work my way through the theory.

Thanks again guys.
If you really wanna learn some theory, look up any post by 'bangoodcharlotte'. The theory link in her signature is fantastic for someone with very little to no theory knowledge. It starts at the basics and works its way up.