ive seen it a lot around here that these are terrible amps and id like to know exactly why. a guy i jam with owns one and loves it. now he's owned many different amps over the last decade, so by now you'd think he'd know his stuff. in fact he owns two, and he let me use his other one in a practice about 2 months ago. it was only 30w so i felt like i couldnt get it loud enough, and my EMGs were absolute shit through it, but he was getting decent rhythm and lead tones from it (EC-400 w/ JB/'59)

i'm not considering buying one. I just want to know exactly why they suck from the people that hate them, and the good qualities from the people that like them. maybe they are perfect for individual practice at low volume and nothing else? two weeks ago, my local privately owned store had a wall lined with these, and I noticed last saturday that they were all gone! there's something in these that people are are latching onto, but what is it?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Nov 2, 2009,
Pro's: Cheap, modelling, built in effects, comes in a range of sizes.
Con's: Digital, there are better in the price range, doesn't take pedals well.

Basically, this thread won't end well, so get ready!
superman is killing himself tonight
Amps are expensive. The only reason they're hated so much here is because we have thousands of dollars to spend on gear. I think Spiders are fine for what they are. Are people really expecting orgasmic tone from a $100 amp?
Pros: Lots of fun effects and tones that (for beginning guitarists) sound cool and are interesting enough to keep you playing guitar
Cons: A bit pricey; Don't take pedals well; tone kinda sucks when you get better and learn more about tone and such.

Overall, they aren't as bad as people say they are, but it all really depends on what you are using it for
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by JELIFISH19
Amps are expensive. The only reason they're hated so much here is because we have thousands of dollars to spend on gear. I think Spiders are fine for what they are. Are people really expecting orgasmic tone from a $100 amp?

agreed in a cheep amp there good but if comparing to anything better they are shit and some people just hate the digital sound of effects lime me for instance i hate solid state distortion i cant stand the sound of pedal dist i like raw tube dist cus to me it sounds so much more organic
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
i got a spider 3 as a starting amp, now i got a half cab marshall n i still think the spider is pretty good to practice with
Last edited by ¿qué? at Nov 2, 2009,
Cheap effects
Digital tone(thanks to the effects)
Unreliable

Cheap foe begginers
Sonewhat versatile?
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
It's cheap, gives a quite range of effects, has some presets to play with on some models. Alright practice amp.

Its not great at anything, sounds lifeless. Effects sound very digitalised. Often unpleasant tone with a lot of 'fizz'. Shouldn't be used for gigging unless you're tone deaf. There are better amps in the same price range.
i have 15w spider 3 and i gotta say its pretty damn good
i've had it for 3 months and i get a pretty good metal tone out of it. at least for a $100 amp. lately though i've been playing around with the tone because i got tired of my old tone. found a nice setting today.

i dont use pedals so i wouldnt know how they work with it. dont need em.

EDIT: use it for practice. and its quite an upgrade from the mystery amp i had before
Last edited by bikecheez at Nov 2, 2009,
the distortion sounding too "digital" and fizzy was my first impression too. ive only really played extensively through one good tube amp, that being my crate, so i dont quite have the ear for good tone like others do. my dist pedal didnt sound good through it either. it sounds ok through my MG and decent through my crate, but not at all through the spider.

haha babyjoel i wasnt expecting this to be pretty. by the way, your name/avatar creeps me out for some reason. maybe its because he married some really young girl and thats all i can think of when i hear any song by him?

edit: looks like they split this year, nevermind

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Nov 2, 2009,
SYL, you should know better.

No Line 6 Spider III discussion threads. They often inherently cause arguments and sporadic flaming. I do realise this, however, is a genuine question as to whether it's a suitable amp for you or not, so I'm not going to report it for that reason, but I will for the fact that it belongs in GG&A and not in EG (although, you may get some serious flaming there)

reported
oops, my bad. i wasnt defending or attacking the amp, i just want the pros and cons to get hashed out and thought this was the best place for it.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele

Pros;
Inexpensive.
Like any solid-state next to valves, durable.
Don't actually sound too horrible as long as you don't push up the volume too far and just use it to practice on.
They're not perfect by any means, but with all the effects and amp models and presets you can have a hell of a lot of fun.

Cons;
Crappy speakers up until you get to the ones with Celestions.
Everything sounds kind of digital and processed, albeit you can actually get it to sound not half bad EQ'd right.
For the same price you can get a Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix of a similar output rating.
They just sound fizzy(Or at least to me,) unless you play a lot with the treble control, and even then it does still a bit. Especially with distortion. Cleans aren't as bad really.

To be honest, looking at these rather than just thinking of them as crap I can see why some like them, and why an otherwise liked company like Line 6 makes them, but I'm a tube guy ever since I first plugged into a clean Fender tube amp about a year or so ago, so I'm not really going to be in favour of them if you asked me about them.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Pros: none

Cons: too many
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
They are good little amps for the price.

Also, if people would turn the distortion knob down to like 6 or 7 it won't sound so digital....

The effects I never use except for the reverb, a little delay, and the noise suppressor. So can't comment on any of the other effects as I don't use them.

I have played mine at practice with a drummer level and it sounded fine, no cracklin, no clipping, no anything...just the sound that should be coming out.

The presets are garbage....but if you modify them you can get a pretty good sound out of them. I use mine daily for practicing and occ for jamming with a drummer and it does great.

Now, I do want a tube amp as it will sound better than a Line 6, but you are also gonna pay 3-4 times as much....

So with that said I still think it is a great practice amp for someone on a budget. No matter how much hate for them people have.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
i got mine for $75 from gc, no complaint's, does what i need it to, i mean my tube amp sound's 10billion times better, but it's also 100 times more expensive. The spider's really aren't bad amp's, actually i kinda like mine, everyone just jumps on the bandwagon against them without actually thinking about the price
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Pros: Loud, large tonal pallete, built in effects

Cons: Effects are kind of hard to program, clean sounds are thin and stale sounding, distortion sounds are rather piercing, trying to remove this quality results in muddiness. Crunch tones are ok, but again suffer from muddiness. It's certainly a step forward from the first two spiders, which were appalling, but they still aren't the best choice for the money. The Vox AD, Roland Cube and from what I've heard the Peavey Vypyr are better sounding, for the same price.

And yes, I have tried them, except the Vypyr.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 2, 2009,
Pros: Good for what it is; that is, something to sit in your room and practice with.

Cons: People who try to play them in public or brag about them.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Pros: Good for what it is; that is, something to sit in your room and practice with.

Cons: People who try to play them in public or brag about them.

Perfect Pro & Con for the spider amps
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ