Hey guys, here's my situation:

Me and my friends want to enter the upcoming School variety show, and we really want to cover a Blues Brothers song. The thing is, we don't know which one, and also, most of them include a brass section (Saxophones, trumpets, so forth) which we don't have. What I'm looking for is a suggestion to a Blues Brothers song we can do with the following musicians:

(We're normally rock/metal musicians, but we all love the Blues Brothers)

2 Vocalists (To be Jake and Elwood)
3 Guitarists (Armed with Strat copies)
1 Bassist (Precision Bass copy)
1 Drummer (Standard drum kit)

Thanks, can you give me some song ideas for what we could do?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Nov 2, 2009,
Open with "I Can't Turn You Loose" (what is usually thought of as the Blues Brothers theme) and go into "Soul Man" or "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love."
Thanks for the reply! However...

1) We can only do one song for the show!

2) Soul Man would be ideal, but it has saxophones/trumpets/harmonicas in it which play a big part in it. We just can't get those, or the musicians to play them!

Thanks anyway, but can you think of something we can do with the musicians we've got?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

I would play a more guitar-based song, for example the Matt Guitar Murphy features: "Blues don't bother me" (quite unknown, I don't even know when it is in the films, but it's on a CD), or "Shot gun blues" (it would be my favourite). "Sweet home Chicago" should work without brass section and "Rawhide" maybe, too. "Jailhouse Rock" has worked for Elvis without brass section so you can replace it with guitar...

My favourite, as said would be for this case "Shot Gun Blues"
Right, ok "Shotgun Blues"? I've not heard that one, or if I have, I forgot the name.

We considered Rawhide, but it's not really as attention grabbing as Soul Man and Everybody needs somebody to love. Ideally, we would do Soulman, but the brass section is more or less essential for that.

Thanks guys, I'm youtubing your ideas...keep em' coming....
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

I'd go for She caught the Katy. You don't see them performing it life, but you hear it during the film (you can listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hB3eCv_FOk&feature=quicklist).

I think you could do it with three guitarists: One playing the chords, the other one a riff, and the third one some fills and solo's.
I'm sure we could pick up another guitarist, there are so many in our area, if we require four!

If at all possible, the song we play should be one the audience (assuming they have seen the film, or have heard a few of the songs from it) would be very familiar with and know instantly. Anyway, thanks for all these ideas, we're looking at all of them!

Any more ideas appreciated!
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Hey guys im the bassist in the band and i think rrawhide would probably be easiest?
Quote by Eurozeppelin
Thanks for the reply! However...

1) We can only do one song for the show!

2) Soul Man would be ideal, but it has saxophones/trumpets/harmonicas in it which play a big part in it. We just can't get those, or the musicians to play them!

Thanks anyway, but can you think of something we can do with the musicians we've got?

1) Do a medley type of a thing.

2) You have three bloody guitars, organize the brass lines into riffs for guitar and play them. If you're going to use 3 guitars on a song, they need to be well organized and have different parts to play, that don't muddy up the bands sound by being all over the place.
'sweet home chicago' will work without a brass section, great song as well.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Personally I'd stay away from Sweet Home Chicago, it's been butchered to hell. That's just me though
so wait, most of the blues brothers songs are covers, so you would be covering a cover? hrmm ok.. I say sweet home chicago. or of course peter gunn, just get a guitarist to play the horns on the guitar.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Sweet Home Chicago. Although that isn't necessarily the Blues Brothers. Its pretty much been done by ever blues musician since Robert Johnson. But Sweet Home Chicago.

But seriously even without a brass section...you can take Soul Man and f*ckin run with that sh*t. Put the brass music into guitars...you could cover it and make it your own.
Last edited by 21wickwing at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Jimmy94
I'm a fan of B Movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiklZnVoZ5Y

but you absolutely have to do soul man, do whatever it takes to find the horn players. There's got to be horn players in your school's concert band!

This. The horn charts aren't that hard, but they absolutely make the song. If anyone has a decent ear, they should be able to transcribe them. I think there's even a soul man tab kicking around on here with a guitar transcription of some of the horn lines.

Your school's band will no doubt have at least two horn players you could commandeer. Just ask them, they're not doing anything else. I'd suggest a trumpet/trombone or trumpet/tenor sax combo for the fullest sound. All brass will give you a brighter sound, using the sax (a woodwind) will give you a darker sound.