I've read some great reviews of the Jim Deacon strat copy, (There's one guy saying it sounds like Fender pickups.) and tried one in a local shop, which I really loved. And they're only £100, so I think I might pick one up as an improvement on my Yamaha Pacifica 012 and Encore strat copy.

Only thing is, I want convert it into a fat strat, so this means getting a humbucker and installing in the bridge position for a thicker sound. But seeing as Jim Deacons aren't as popular as Squier Strats and others, I don't know where I'm supposed to get a hss scratchplate for it. Any ideas?

I'm also considering a HSH layout or SHS, so if there's a scratchplate for that?

PS I'm almost positive it has the swimming pool, rectangle cut routing, so should allow for a humbucker to be installed without any cutting of the wood. Thanks,
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
Last edited by Eurozeppelin at Nov 2, 2009,
Why buy another budget starter guitar? You already have two and the pacifica is pretty damn decent.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Not this Pacifica. It's an 012, so has an agathis body, and it's got slightly rusty parts, goes out of tune quickly, I don't like the colour, the humbucker sinks sideways, and I don't know exactly why, but I really do not like the sound, but that might be solely the amp's fault, (10 watt crappy practice amp that came witht he Encore) or mine as a guitarist. However, I did get the Pacifica 012 for free...

If you'd like to advise me on a different strat style guitar, please do, but seriously, I really do not like the Pacifica, I even prefer the Encore, but of course, that's SSS.

I'm even thinking of trying another 012, one that is better than this one.

I'm looking for a decent HSS strat, but it will have to be relatively cheap or second hand. Anyway, thanks for your ideas
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

How much does a second hand MIM fat strat tend to go for? Otherwise you could always pick up a squier classic vibe and mod it to be a fat strat.
Ok, thanks guys:

Let me just put this question to you:

Will a Fender (or Squier) scratchplate (HSS) fit a Jim Deacon Strat?

Thanks,
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

I wouldn't see any major problems maybe the locations of the holes might be your problem but if you get the right numbered pickguard screws then you should be alright.