Hi all,

My band had a gig recently, and I noticed that when we were sound checking, the gain on my triple rectifier was just not sounding as good as it had been. I hadn't changed any of the settings on it and used the exact same setup that I always do, but the gain sounded like it couldn't be pushed. There was a lack of sustain and palm muting sounded like it was coming through the pushed clean channel versus the modern high gain channel. I ended up turning the amp up (WAY higher than I usually do) and it sounded 'ok' but not as good as it had been sounding. Anyways, I have never replaced the tubes on the amp and was wondering if you guys thought this was a sign the tubes needed to be replaced or if something else was wrong. I'm not sure of the life of the tubes but they are at least 4 years old and have been used fairly regularly for about 4 times a month for about the past 2 years.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks!
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
Could also be the batteries for your actives, if that was the guitar you used (ESP).
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
If the tubes have been in there for 4 years then it would be a good idea to do a full re-tube.
Quote by pigeonmafia
Could also be the batteries for your actives, if that was the guitar you used (ESP).

I thought that was the problem too but i replaced it and it and it sounded the same
Homemade Strat
ESP EC1000
ESP MH 400 w/ Original Floyd Rose
Epi Les Paul Custom
Line6 Flextone
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Furman Power Cond.
DOD rack EQ
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Boss FL2 Flanger
Line6 Tremelo
Line6 Echo Park
Quote by Matt420740
If the tubes have been in there for 4 years then it would be a good idea to do a full re-tube.

+1

That's a long time for power amp tubes and it's even starting to push it on a lot of preamp tubes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
my dual rec has 4+ year old tubes in it and is having the exact same issues
talked to a tubey expert and he gave me this advice

If you use the amp on silicon diodes, the 5U4's will last almost forever. Other than that, I would change
them between 12 / 18 months.

I recommend - 6L6 winged C, 12AX7 Tungsol for positions 2,3,4 & 5. Use ecc83JJ GOLD for the V1 position.

Electro Harmonix 5U4GB for the rects (mesa use EH, brand them and charge more).

The above is an excellent set of top grade tubes that will cost less than original Boogie branded tubes.

Here's a link to the valve page www.hotroxuk.com/matched-valves-links-page-909-0.html
facebook.com/crazymentalchris
youtube.com/chrisprsguitars

come say Hi!