So this morning I went to do my normal guitar routine. Having no bandmates and friends home today (yay layoffs) I decided to crank my good ol' 5150. While I was playing I decided to give my old BC Rich Warbeast a shot for the hell of it. I was playing it, having a good time thinking "this girl is actually pretty nice" until bam, strings shock me. I feel the strings and feel a slight numbing and light electrical shock. I hit the harmonic point of the low E string - bam! - lovely burning sensation to my fingertips. Quickly I set my amp off and unplug my guitar.

Anyone have any idea of what could've happened?
Mah Rig
Guitars:
BC Rich Mockingbird (X2N)
Schecter Hellraiser (81/85)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 head (Distortion obv)
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
That happened to me before, except it was my amp. Make sure you don't touch anything else metal thats plugged in. One time I was jamming with a friend, and I went to press dowj on my wah but instead i touch the metal casing of the cord going to his wah and got a similar shock.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Perhaps you burst a blood vessel or just had a random muscle spasm. They can feel as though you've been shocked.
That guitar is not properly grounded. You'll have to open it up and resolder the ground wire, it may not have been grounded properly to begin with. I think you want to ground it to the truss rod but I may be wrong.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Something's not grounded right.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
damn that would've scared the hell out of me :p

anyway I don't actually know how that could've happened since your strings shouldn't be in contact with your amp directly (since they don't touch the pickups or wires that go to your amp) try using a volt meter or somthing on your strings with it plugged in :p

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Grounding issues most likely
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by tubetime86
That guitar is not properly grounded. You'll have to open it up and resolder the ground wire, it may not have been grounded properly with to begin with. I think you want to ground it to the truss rod but I may be wrong.

I'm no technician but when I look in the back the wires look fine for the guitar. I can provide pictures if you think you can help.

I've tried my amp with other guitars and got nothing. However, I also haven't been able to reproduce the shocking with my warbeast again.

Perhaps you burst a blood vessel or just had a random muscle spasm. They can feel as though you've been shocked.

No, this def continued for a few seconds and I know muscle spasms lol.
Mah Rig
Guitars:

Amps:
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
Sounds like a grounding issue in the guitar. I'd completely rewire just for kicks.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by uncreativelolol
I'm no technician but when I look in the back the wires look fine for the guitar. I can provide pictures if you think you can help.

I've heard sometimes guitars come with the ground wired to the trem screws or other less than ground-worthy places. There should be a wire in the back cavity soldered somewhere... If it is not soldered to the most substantial piece of metal available then make it so.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The input jack of your amp is grounded internally. When you plug in your instrument, your guitar is grounded to the amp through the cable. What happening is you have a bad ground inside your amp, and you have a current running through the ground, up your cable, into your guitar, and through your strings. Your strings are grounded through the bridge, by the ground wire inside your guitar. The current is simply traveling from your amp to the guitar. That is a BAD thing. Take that amp to a tech now and get the problem solved before you get electrocuted. Tube amps have over 300v present inside. Not something you want shocking you.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
I've heard sometimes guitars come with the ground wired to the trem screws or other less than ground-worthy places. There should be a wire in the back cavity soldered somewhere... If it is not soldered to the most substantial piece of metal available then make it so.

Well I'll go throw it at the idiots at guitar center and have them fix it, as it won't cost me a dime.

And I'll take my 5150 to my amp tech later today.
Mah Rig
Guitars:

Amps:
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
Quote by uncreativelolol
Well I'll go throw it at the idiots at guitar center and have them fix it, as it won't cost me a dime.

And I'll take my 5150 to my amp tech later today.

Its not your guitar. If your guitar wasn't grounded properly it would just make a lot of noise. There's not enough voltage present in a guitar to shock you anyways. The current is coming from your amplifier. Just ask an amp tech, or go over to the forums at AX84.com which is full of amp builders, and they will tell you the same thing I did in my earlier post. The voltage is coming from your amp. Its not a common problem but it does happen. You have a bad connection or failure in your amp somewhere and its sending voltage though the ground into your guitar. It is a dangerous situation. Take it seriously. I wouldn't plug in again until its been fixed. Read through this info here and you'll see what I'm talking about - http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/safety/index.php

Make sure you read Read #1

Also, are you plugged into a 3 prong outlet?
This failure is basically impossible with modern three-prong equipment plugged into a properly grounded three-prong mains outlet.

Three-prong and my outlet is 100% fine, I've checked it in the past when I first bought the home (check everything in my house actually).

I understand the process but wouldn't a faulty ground in the guitar cause the electricity to continue to travel?
Mah Rig
Guitars:

Amps:
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
Quote by uncreativelolol

I understand the process but wouldn't a faulty ground in the guitar cause the electricity to continue to travel?

No electricity travels to your guitar normally. The signal from your pickups travel to the input jack of the amp through your cable. Its a long explanation that I'm not going to explain here, but the amp doesn't supply power to your guitar. It only amplifies the signal your guitar is sending to it.

The shock is coming from your amp. Its has to be. You need to find out why. There's a short forum about it here, which explains a few different causes - http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-guitars/34649-electric-shock-guitar.html

Edit: About it being impossible. Just because its plugged into a 3-prong plug doesn't mean that that same ground hasn't become disconnected inside the amplifier? See what I mean. Just trying to help you out dude, because it can be a serious problem.
Quote by Matt420740
Its not your guitar. If your guitar wasn't grounded properly it would just make a lot of noise. There's not enough voltage present in a guitar to shock you anyways. The current is coming from your amplifier. Just ask an amp tech, or go over to the forums at AX84.com which is full of amp builders, and they will tell you the same thing I did in my earlier post. The voltage is coming from your amp. Its not a common problem but it does happen. You have a bad connection or failure in your amp somewhere and its sending voltage though the ground into your guitar. It is a dangerous situation. Take it seriously. I wouldn't plug in again until its been fixed. Read through this info here and you'll see what I'm talking about - http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/safety/index.php

Make sure you read Read #1

Also, are you plugged into a 3 prong outlet?

Great site. I almost guarantee most of that material is written by a guy in his early 50's or later. Only boomers use phrases like "For crying out loud" and refer to someone's ass as their "backside". The writer(s) also expresses a between-the-lines disdain for younger players and their perceived lack of experience with guitar.

Good info, though.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Everyone should own a multimeter. They are cheap and good for testing stuff like this. If a piece of equipment ever shocked me I would put the meter on it immediately.