Hi All,

I've been playing guitar for a number of years but I haven't invested much time in learning the gear side of things most because it's freaking expensive. So now I'm getting to the point where I want to come up with a certain sound that matches my playing style and I'm having some drama.

I'm looking to create a bluesy john mayerish sound similar to whats heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEE2_RYyVYk

Currently I have a 75 Watt Line 6 spiderIII and from what I've been reading people are not big fans of the spider. So my questions is: Is it possible to get a similar sound out of this amp? Whats some settings I can try? If I can't what does this amp not do that I would need to look for in a new amp and does anyone have any affordable amps thats can produce a similar sound (I'm awair that he's probably playing very expensive amps and there is no way to get that exact sound without dropping a bit of money but is there something close that I can get maybe even a smaller 50 Watter that can do the job)

Thanks a ton.
Last edited by Nullio at Nov 2, 2009,
Twin Reverb and Tubescreamer, neck pup.
Last edited by fly135 at Nov 2, 2009,
what guitar do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what guitar do you have?

I have a custom G&L Legacy deluxe
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/guitars/legacy-deluxe/index.asp

this one? if so, sweet! probably neck pickup would be the best one to use for that type of tone.

try one of the fender amp models in your line 6. twang, blues, clean, something like that. if that doesn't cut it, what's your budget for a new amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What effect or configuration is give it a "GLUUU" like sound? is that an overdrive effect?
Quote by Dave_Mc
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/guitars/legacy-deluxe/index.asp

this one? if so, sweet! probably neck pickup would be the best one to use for that type of tone.

try one of the fender amp models in your line 6. twang, blues, clean, something like that. if that doesn't cut it, what's your budget for a new amp?

Yup, thats the guitar.

I would like to keep the amp price under $1,000 I still want to teak around with it to get a sound unique to me but I definitely want to use that sound as a base so I'd hate to waste alot on an amp to later find out I need something with a slightly different sound
Quote by Nullio
What effect or configuration is give it a "GLUUU" like sound? is that an overdrive effect?

do you have the exact bit in the song where he did that? i mean the exact time. i imagine you mean that kind of rake technique which srv used a lot, but i could be wrong. reverb would probably help that, too.

for $1000, you'd have a lot of options. I agree with the fender-style amp and tubescreamer-style overdrive pedal advice. There are a lot of fender tube amps under your budget, especially since you're in the USA, so basically try as many as you can, plus clones and similar-style amps (if any are under budget too- things like victoria etc.).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pretty much any Fender tube amp (Not HRD) and a Maxon OD808 and you're in business.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender Blues Junior and OD and your in business buddy ! Swap out the speaker the extra cash if youd like.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
What your amp won't do is have tubes basically. And you are right Mayer uses Two Rock amps which are about 5K a pop. His amp powered by 4 6L6s @ 100 watts. You would do fine with probably one 6L6 or even a couple 6V6s. For 1000 dollars you can get some nice hand wired amps which will give a much better sound than a PCB construction Fender or something similar. I would personally recommend Swart Space Tone which is about $850 but if you want it with reverb which I think you might the price jumps to $1350. Unfortunately pretty much any handwired amp with reverb is gonna be out of you range but you could always buy a pedal like the T-Rex Tonebug if you want to add some verb. If you go with Fender you will get reverb but give up some of the high quality internal components. In the Fender line I recommend the Princeton Reverb for about $900. At 15 and 20 watts these two amps will sing cleans fine at manageable volumes but if you want dirt from them you will have to push the volume up and its gonna get loud, not so much that it will burst your eardrums but loud enough to piss off anybody in your house or in neighboring apartments. So now you have to think about either getting an attenuator to control that volume or some kind of pedal to introduce some grit like the aforementioned TS808. You can tweak about with the Line and probably get a similar imitation of this sound but you won't get that warmth, compression, and roundness that Mayer has in this video. Some things to consider, hope it helps, and nice axe.
Last edited by fretz86 at Nov 2, 2009,
aye. it might not have loads of headroom, though. would be worth trying to see if it gets loud enough for you before it starts to break up.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Nullio
So I've done some looking into some options and people are saying the blues junior is a good amp to go with, I'm looking at going with this guy: http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=6&P_ID=4258&PT_ID=44

Would this be worth looking into, I take it a 15Watt tube amp will still put out a great deal of sound?

Yep, 15 watts on a tube amp are more than enough, plus you can crank it to get sweet soft clipping tube amps are praised for.

EDIT: ^^ That too, also remember you can roll the volume down on your guitar to clean off your tone at higher volumes where the tubes are already being driven.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by Zoso1994 at Nov 9, 2009,
I think that would do you fine. Mayer has used blues juniors and even Hot Rod Deluxes. Either a Deluxe Reverb or a Blues Junior if you wish to spend less, will do the job fine. Add in an overdrive pedal and you have Mayer's tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F1JcGAQI60

Check out some Fenders in person if you can.
What do you guys know about Messa Amps? I also have the opportunity to purchase one of those. The sales pitch was that they are no biasing so I could throw any tubes I want in there.

Is this a better route or should I just stick with the Fender approach?
which mesa? something like a lonestar would probably work, but you don't want to be buying e.g. a recto for mayer.

that thing about biasing, as far as i'm aware, is something of a double-edged sword. Great if you don't know how to bias, or can't be bothered paying a tech, but it means you're tied to mesa tubes, i think. Which means you can't fiddle about with different tubes to tweak your tone, plus mesa tubes (here in europe, anyway) are ridiculously overpriced, so you could probably just pay a tech with what you'd saved on the tubes, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?