When I switch back and forth between drop C and drop E, the 1E string always snaps. Sometimes it doesn't, but most of the time it does. Is there something I'm doing wrong or am I always just gonna have to replace that string?
it all depends on how long you let the guitar sit in drop c. You have to tune it up gradually. when a string sits at a certain pitch long enough it adjust to that tension. A change in pitch that dramatic will cause a string to snap if one sudden tune up.

You should also lubricate your nut and saddles. also if its breaking above the nut your tuning keys may be too sharp.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
drop E? as in a step higher than drop D?
That e string isn't meant to be tuned to f#
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
there might be burs at where the strings break..... use a fine grit sandpaper arount where the strings touch metal
Gear
2009 Schecter Solo 6 DSG limited 1 of 50 in the USA
Ovation Celebrity
TC Electronic: Polytune
Digitech RP355 Multieffects Pedal
Quote by HeyItsChenny
thank you very much, Seaweed
do you have a floating trem? if so, then you might have to adjust the spring tension.
I tune my guitar like 4 times a day because I'm bi-polar as to what i want to play when and I never snap strings.
Quote by justinb904
drop E? as in a step higher than drop D?

zakk wylde sometime tunes his high e to a g so he shouldnt have trouble going to f#

to answer your question, you need to gradually tune your guitar. let it get used to the higher tension
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
Might need to use a heavier gauge of strings or if you're using Ernie Balls, Ernie Balls are terrible for tuning.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Do you spend a lot of time above the 18th fret?

You could always leave the guitar in drop C, then use a capo at the 4th fret to get drop E.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Nov 3, 2009,
If its always snapping in the same place, you may have a burr. You could also have a bad batch of strings (it happens). There is also something to be said to gradually increasing the tension of the string when tuning, instead of treating it like a race.

High-E strings sure can get to f# and beyond...otherwise, Fripp's NST (C/G/D/A/E/G) wouldn't exist.

See, I kinda have this problem; my G string always snaps

Have you tried larger underwear? And like the original poster, if its always snapping near the nut, check for burrs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
From what people have said here, I think I'll try always tuning my guitar back to standard whenever I'm finished using it. Could this help?
doubtful., sounds to me like you need to have your nut filed down at a more gradual angle to each of your tuners.. and just slightly, dont lower the action at the nut, only change the angle on the headstock side of it to face your tuners better.