first off id just like to say i really liked that mike todd article that got stickyed the user that wrote that should be writting stuff on the front page.. just sayin. anyways I have a friend who kinda wants to play bass and his parents dont let him on the internet without there supervision so i told him i would come ask you guys his questions for him
(if thats all right with you guys ) anyways here are the questions
1. How tall do you have to be to play a standard size bass my friend is kinda short around 5'5'' (just a guess) but hes got big hands and long fingers so the neck shouldn't be a problem for him.
2. What kind of bass and bass amplifier should he get i recomended ibanez because hes looking for cheap stuff but im sure you guys have better suggestions ... amirite?
3. and finally how cheap could he get a bass for realalistically with the amp and all that, is buying it used a good bet?
1. He'll adapt, nobody is really "Built" for playing bass, you just need to adjust to the feeling of playing how ever he may choose to play is up to him, but He'll make it work.
2. Go for a Squier Beginners Set, Every Bass Player can relate in someway to a P-Bass and Fender is a great company when it comes to making guitars as well as amps.
3. Probably about $200-$450 depending on where you live.
I'm shorter than 5'5" and i have no problems. Size has nothing to do with it(although I have mildly big hands for my size). A good amp to start with is the Peavey Max series, I love mine and it's loud enough to jam with a drummer and two guitarists as well, or a Marshall MB, I've heard some bad stuff but I playted 'em and they're fine for beginners definitely.
1. Height shouldn't be a problem as long as he can hold it up, which I assume he can, basses aren't backbreaking.
2. The FAQ has a ton of info on this. Right off the bat, I'd recommend the Ibanez GSR200, the Squier Vintage Modified series, or standard Squier P and J basses. Its best to stay away from starter packs if you can help it.
3. Ibanez GSR200's run at $200. The Squier VM's are $300. Most starter basses in general will run between $100 and $300. You can get a good practice amp for around $100-$150.

EDIT: look at the Peavey MAX series, the Acoustic B10, and the Kustom KBA10 for amps
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Nov 2, 2009,
1. Height has nothing to do with it. Nor does hand size, or anything. Anyone can play bass.
2. Check out the FAQ- there's a beginner's bass section and a beginner's amp section.
3. The options from number 2 pretty much represent the best you can get at a reasonable price. Below a certain price, things understandably don't help your learning very much.
Get a Squier, I have the 70's-looking vintage reissue bass, it plays great.
Quote by Ponyexpress
first off id just like to say i really liked that mike todd article that got stickyed the user that wrote that should be writting stuff on the front page.. just sayin. anyways I have a friend who kinda wants to play bass and his parents dont let him on the internet without there supervision so i told him i would come ask you guys his questions for him
(if thats all right with you guys ) anyways here are the questions
1. How tall do you have to be to play a standard size bass my friend is kinda short around 5'5'' (just a guess) but hes got big hands and long fingers so the neck shouldn't be a problem for him.
2. What kind of bass and bass amplifier should he get i recomended ibanez because hes looking for cheap stuff but im sure you guys have better suggestions ... amirite?
3. and finally how cheap could he get a bass for realalistically with the amp and all that, is buying it used a good bet?
1) He should be fine as long as his fingers aren't an inch long.
2) Ibanez is good. Squiers are good starter basses too.
3) You could probably get a bass and an amp for $100 if you wanted, but there's no guarantee it will be of tolerable quality. It all depends on whether he just wants a bass to noodle around on or actually is serious about being dedicated to learning/practicing to get good at bass. My case was of the latter, I spent $300 (which isn't too bad, but there are basses which are a good bit cheaper) on an Ibanez BTB200, and in the 3 or so years I've been playing haven't had any desire to upgrade. I also spent $150 on my first amp, but it was a Behringer (*shudders*) and was not worth it. I got a great deal ($150) on an Ampeg BA-115, and I love it.

It all depends on A) how much he's willing to spend, based on how serious he is; and B) what kind of deals he gets.

You can get some great stuff used for pretty cheap. I bought a Fender Blues Deluxe ($1,130 MSRP) in fully functional condition for $350 off of Craigslist, and my brother got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe ($1,060 MSRP) for the same price off of Craigslist as well.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Squire P-Bass and a Rumble 15.

That had me set for about 2 years. Though I did have a Fender, not a Squire.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Squier VM or CV
Peavey
Ibanez
Danelectro

for amps:
Ashdown
Acoustic
Peavey
Hartke
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
There is a girl at the studio I go to who is 4'10" and while she's a bit dwarfed by her bass, she manages a full size Ibanez just fine. I'm 5'4" myself.

And go used. You can easily get some nice gear from the recommendations above in the used market.