I've decided i want to buy a 7 string, but i want passive pickups, and a floyd
Originally i was thinking schecter, but all their 7's have active pups or no floyd, and it isnt a direct swap to passives
I never really liked the shred necks on ibanez 6 strings, and thats all the range ive got near me, so i want recommendations
The kind of guitar im lookin for is preferably mahogany body, SD JB/59, original floyd and is available in australia
influences are Iron Maiden, Nevermore, Dream Theater, Hendrix, Clapton, Pantera, Red Hot Chili Peppers, as well as some folk metal and other rock
This means that cleans are fairly important to me, so what would you recommend?
RIP Gooze

cats
You could try and hunt down an old LTD M-307 or something, they have passives and a floyd. But it might be worth looking into some Ibby 7's, mainly due to the fact they dont have actives, unlike Schecter.

But you can always look into the original Blackjack model from Schecter as that does have the JB and 59 combo you want, or a Hellraiser FR with a pickup swap and some custom pickup rings might well have to be your best option?
Quote by Metlhead443
Budget?

just want recommendations, its not the biggest issue, if i need thousands, i can get it, cheaper the better though
...lets say maximum is roughly AUD3000

EDIT:
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
But you can always look into the original Blackjack model from Schecter as that does have the JB and 59 combo you want, or a Hellraiser FR with a pickup swap and some custom pickup rings might well have to be your best option?

Blackjack doesnt have floyd, asked guitar shop about changing the pickups from a hellraiser to SD, i was told that they wouldnt fit without routing
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Nov 2, 2009,
you might wanna go custom. although ormsby might be a little over the top unless you really wanna spend 3000. cool part about custom work is you can pick woods, pickups, type of frets. bridge. ect ect.

but with switching from actives to passives all you need is new pots. you could even resell the actives to pay for the passives.

edit: some of SD's pickups require different mounting rings, you shouldn't need to route. just a way for the big companies to make a few or dollars
Last edited by blandguitar at Nov 2, 2009,
The EMG's in the hellraiser are physically bigger than the SD's and all other 7 string pickups (aside from EMG sized blackouts of course), they would fit in but there would be some extra space around the pickups which might look unsightly. I've seen a Loomis model with Lundgren M7's replacing the 707's, it is possible with work. I only recommended the Blackjack as it covered most of the specs you were after, bar the OFR.
and i was told that actives were smaller....... bloody lying guitar shops
RIP Gooze

cats
ormsby would be the way to go i think.

youd be looking at spending minimum 2900 though (roughly, thats about the base cost + ofr+pickups, no extras yet)
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape