Alrighty, well my girlfriend's brother got this Jackson from a family member a while back who found the guitar. Needless to say... it needed some work! So as his birthday present from me and my girlfriend, we took it upon ourselves to make it a little more spiffy

As you can see, it used to be some ugly ass blue color and the person who had it before did a horrible sanding job on it. It actually looked like the guitar was originally a natural color, then they sanded down a little bit on the clear coat, left the rest there, and painted over it with blue, then clear coated it again.

Definitely made out of a plywood, but the grain on the top and bottom looked pretty sexy, so it could be worked with...

The one good part about the guitar, the neck!

Worse wiring job I've EVER seen... Just... Ew... Half of the wires were attached just by wrapping them around one that had been soldered on, and then electrical tape was wrapped around it so they wouldn't come loose. Seriously... WTF?

So... being that it's a Jackson, we sought out to make it look like a metal machine...

*BTW, anyone know what model this is??
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Unfortunately... I totally forgot to take pictures as I was going along, so you'll have to just enjoy pictures of what it looks like as of last night

Back all sanded smooth, the lighting makes it look like there's still clear coat on it, trust me, it's gone

What's that? A flame top!?

Yes, I added a flame veneer on the top, looks sick as hell. As you can see, I accidentally chipped the right piece at the bottom of the crease, I glued in a little piece and it looks good as new now.

I cut it a little too high on the contour, I was going to do the flame the whole way across, but things were being a bitch to glue onto the contour It won't be noticeable when I'm done.

Oh... and here's a sample of what the top's going to look like when I'm done with it

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Nov 2, 2009,
i really do like that thing's grain. i'll be checking in here.

veneer looks nice too. transblack ftw

btw, do you have any used amps for sale? i know in GGA they say you're and amp horder. pm me if you do
Quote by blandguitar
i really do like that thing's grain. i'll be checking in here.

veneer looks nice too. transblack ftw

btw, do you have any used amps for sale? i know in GGA they say you're and amp horder. pm me if you do

Yeah, the grain is actually really nice looking, I was surprised.

I've always wanted a black flame, so I figured I'd try it out on this guitar then do it on my other one after I've perfected it

And yes, click the "SPAM" link in my sig
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
looks sick. although i would have saved that flame maple for something else. The grain on that body already looked dead sexy but I guess not everyone appreciates non figured grain.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
looks sick. although i would have saved that flame maple for something else. The grain on that body already looked dead sexy but I guess not everyone appreciates non figured grain.

he said he liked the grain. he can always sand back through the veneer. he's just using this for practice. notice how he said he messed up where they joined?

anything a little cheaper matrix? like 500 or under. 16 and broke don't help. i just put up a thread in gear ads, check it out incase anything strikes your fancy.
Quote by blindsagacity

If it was my guitar, I would've done just that, but being that I'm doing this for my girlfriend's brother, I think he'd like the flame better

Quote by blandguitar
he said he liked the grain. he can always sand back through the veneer. he's just using this for practice. notice how he said he messed up where they joined?

anything a little cheaper matrix? like 500 or under. 16 and broke don't help. i just put up a thread in gear ads, check it out incase anything strikes your fancy.

Definitely, it's just for practice mainly, the kid should know it's not going to come out perfect this time around

I'll check out the thread
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
any inlays for the body? personally, i always wanted a transblack finish. with a silver wolf howling at the moon. then figure out a way to inlay a moonlit lake on it. kinda hard to grasp i guess. but it would look badass.
Quote by cedricsmods
Are you going black-transblack burst?

Hopefully, that's the plan at least
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by PabloGilberto
Minted looking Matrix... Where'd you get that veneer?
Thats b-e-a-utiful!

Grabbed it from a guy on eBay for super cheap, 14 sheets of 7"x56" for like $10

I screwed up the top the first time on one side, so I had to sand it off and do it over again... but it was worth it...

Looks SICK!

I also found out that though the grain looks nice... it's apparently made out of some fake resin which makes it impossible to stain...

Luckily, I had some extra Walnut Burl veneer layin around... so I decided to throw that on there for good measure!

Unfortunately, it was a bit thicker than my flame top, so it was a bitch and a half to cut it right, so it came out a bit rough, but I decided to keep it like that, it looks sweet that way IMO.

Now... what do you guys think? Should I match the headstock with the Burl or Flame (honestly not sure how I'd make the flame look right... but I could give it a shot)?

P.S. Yes, I'm going to paint the cavities black as well. Rather than using spray paint, I'm just going to touch it up with some modeling paint so I don't have to tape everything off

And yes, high res photos will be posted when she's all done!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Nov 4, 2009,
Quote by RivercrestColts
Flame, that would look freakin sweet!

I'll see how it looks, I think it would look really cool if I did it right, we'll see

Gotta put another coat on the back, not quite dark enough.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
so are the sides/outer edges of the front and back gonna be like a gloss black then clear over all of it? that will look sweet! it also might cover up the raggedy edges of the back veneer. lookin awesome!
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
hey. would you be willing to sell a sheet? i wanna do a mini cab build for a mini amp project. hopefully will be able to do the cab in shop class. think you could part with a sheet/half a sheet? if so, pm me a price.
Quote by sk8freakrt
so are the sides/outer edges of the front and back gonna be like a gloss black then clear over all of it? that will look sweet! it also might cover up the raggedy edges of the back veneer. lookin awesome!

Nah, I decided that I was just going to keep it as a regular flame on the top. I did patch up the rough edges on the top with some paint that blended in nicely. I left the back rough, it works with the grain of the veneer IMO

Quote by blandguitar
hey. would you be willing to sell a sheet? i wanna do a mini cab build for a mini amp project. hopefully will be able to do the cab in shop class. think you could part with a sheet/half a sheet? if so, pm me a price.

Possibly, we'll see. I'd have to find something to put it in so it won't be destroyed by the shipping companies, because it's REALLY thin. I'll let you know though!

Anyway... on to the progress...

Finished top waiting to dry (lighting in both makes the right side look a lot lighter than the left).

Decided to go with a flame on the headstock, looks pretty cool if I do say so myself!

Here it is with the stain (still have to cut it out, so I'll do that tomorrow then stain it one more time and it should be good!):

I also decided I was going to try out staining the fretboard haha. It actually turned out REALLY good. Not an ebony board like I was hoping... but it looks really dark, like Brazillian Rosewood!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I also found out that though the grain looks nice... it's apparently made out of some fake resin which makes it impossible to stain...

I think that's because some sort of sealer has ben used, and it's soaked in really deep. That, or the glue from the other side.
that looks very nice. whod you buy the veneers from on eBay? If you're willing to tell.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by Pikka Bird
I think that's because some sort of sealer has ben used, and it's soaked in really deep. That, or the glue from the other side.

Could be, I tried sanding it down a bit more, but it still wouldn't work. I like the veneer I put on it though, turned out good

Quote by blindsagacity
that looks very nice. whod you buy the veneers from on eBay? If you're willing to tell.

I have no idea to be honest, it was a while ago!

Here it is with all the hardware:

Not to shabby.

It still needs to be wired up and setup, so when it's completely done, I'll have better pictures up
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Nov 6, 2009,
Have you ever thought of going into the guitar RESTORING buisness you did a exellent job
Do you know what particular model that Jackson is?

Never seen a Jackson description that contained plywood, so I'm just wondering what they tried to pass it off as.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 7, 2009,
its an old jackson starter pack right?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me