OK - here goes! Though I play pretty well, I'm clueless about gear. Does my setup make any sense or is there some fatal flaw? Currently, my amp squeals like mad when you're on the Ultra channel and not playing anything.

Guitars: LTD M200-FM *and* Michael Kelly Patriot

Guitar plugs into a Boss Comp/Sust, then an Ibanez Weeping Demon wah, and then into the amp. I've got an old Digitech RP-7 in the effects loop.

Why does my amp howl so bad? I play in a big open basement and stand about 12 feet away.

Amp: Peavey JSX 212 Combo
Gain: 8
Volume: 8 (channel & master)
Bass: 6
Mid: 7
Treb: 6

Even this^^ doesn't give me the volume I'd like to compete with the drums...Does that seem right?
Weak link is the RP-7, IMO.
What cab? And the Rp-7 isn't great.

Get a power conditioner, the howl might be your power being "dirty". Replace the RP-7 with something half decent, get a nice cab (Orange? Boogie?) and play away. Also, you could try replacing your tubes (RECOMMEND EUROTUBES.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!) and see if it makes a difference. You might not lose the squeal, but your amp will probably sound a lot better.
Quote by JayLacelle
+1. digitech = bad

I almost said "Tell that to Dave Mustaine" but his tone is horrible...

Quote by enselmis
What cab? And the Rp-7 isn't great.

Get a power conditioner, the howl might be your power being "dirty". Replace the RP-7 with something half decent, get a nice cab (Orange? Boogie?) and play away. Also, you could try replacing your tubes (RECOMMEND EUROTUBES.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!) and see if it makes a difference. You might not lose the squeal, but your amp will probably sound a lot better.

its a combo - no cab

change your tubes, sell the digitech and buy something nice and TC Electronics Nova System Shaped
RP-7 is the first effect I bought 12 (?) years ago...I had it kicking around. Would it have any effect while the effects loop is off? I figured it was a safe place to put that thing?

It's a 2x12 combo...so no cab.

Also, I'm on a power bar with "RF shielding" etc. that only powers my amp and power block for the pedals.

I have 4 amps side-by-side facing the same direction...does that matter?
Last edited by Licker at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
its a combo - no cab

change your tubes, sell the digitech and buy something nice and TC Electronics Nova System Shaped

****, I noticed it was a combo right after I posted and was too lazy to edit it, but getting a cab might be a good idea if it isn't loud enough.
Quote by enselmis
****, I noticed it was a combo right after I posted and was too lazy to edit it, but getting a cab might be a good idea if it isn't loud enough.

Any suggestions on what's a good value for a good ext. cab?
Like I said, I know NOTHING! I just play.

So far nobody thinks that my volume/gain are too high?
Quote by JayLacelle
+1. digitech = bad

That unit=entry level. Nothing wrong with entry level, but there are some good, inexpensive multi-fx units to be had.

Digitech makes some quality stuff. Noob.
Quote by imgooley

That unit=entry level. Nothing wrong with entry level, but there are some good, inexpensive multi-fx units to be had.

Digitech makes some quality stuff. Noob.

It does fine for chorus and delay as rarely as I use it. Once I get a good chorus pedal I'll ditch the RP-7.
Quote by Licker
Any suggestions on what's a good value for a good ext. cab?
Like I said, I know NOTHING! I just play.

So far nobody thinks that my volume/gain are too high?

Maybe turn the gain down and use a tasty overdrive pedal like a BB preamp or maxon to boost it? Still may not reduce anything, but it'll sound BADASS!

Orange makes bitchin cabs (just ordered one ), Avatar and Earcandy are a good deal, same with Mesa.

If you wanna go all out, get a bogner or a VHT.

General pricing on all of those is somewhere between 800$ and 1500$.
Quote by Licker
RP-7 is the first effect I bought 12 (?) years ago...I had it kicking around. Would it have any effect while the effects loop is off? I figured it was a safe place to put that thing?

It's a 2x12 combo...so no cab.

Also, I'm on a power bar with "RF shielding" etc. that only powers my amp and power block for the pedals.

I have 4 amps side-by-side facing the same direction...does that matter?

A: If you're not using the RP-7, why even hook it up?

B: What other amps do you have?

C: Now that I've actually read the thread: There is something terribly wrong with your amp if it's not loud enough to get over drums. 120 watts should be enough to induce periods of deafness.

If you have noise issues, and your guitar is not loud enough, it's probably a tube issue. When was the last time they were changed?
Quote by enselmis
Maybe turn the gain down and use a tasty overdrive pedal like a BB preamp or maxon to boost it? Still may not reduce anything, but it'll sound BADASS!

Orange makes bitchin cabs (just ordered one ), Avatar and Earcandy are a good deal, same with Mesa.

If you wanna go all out, get a bogner or a VHT.

General pricing on all of those is somewhere between 800$ and 1500$.

Hmmm...better to pre-boost it?

That's some serious $$ you're talking! I only paid $600 (great deal) for the damn amp! I'd think a cab of similar quality to the JSX would be, like, 1/2 the price of a full combo or less...
If you are having noise issues, and volume issues, check the tubes
Maybe you have the compression pedal set too high. When you say your amp "howls" I'm assuming you mean uncontrollable feedback? A compression pedal could do that.

Wait...your volume's at 8 and you still don't have enough volume?... something's wrong... Try plugging your guitar straight into the amp, make sure you're guitar's volume is up... that's all I can think of
I hate my sig
Quote by imgooley
A: If you're not using the RP-7, why even hook it up?

B: What other amps do you have?

C: Now that I've actually read the thread: There is something terribly wrong with your amp if it's not loud enough to get over drums. 120 watts should be enough to induce periods of deafness.

If you have noise issues, and your guitar is not loud enough, it's probably a tube issue. When was the last time they were changed?

A: Because my effects loop would sit empty otherwise, and I like having the option of some effects (even crappy ones) over none.

B: Running vocal mics through a Crate Vintage Club 60w tube 1x12 combo and a Line6 combo (can't remember model - cheap little 1x10)
Also a TKO 115 for the bass.

C: That's what I kinda figured, reading about how 120W was likely overkill for most setups. Yup, cranked right up it's just loud enough to keep up with the bass and drums. I do wear some hefty earplugs.

Bought the amp 4 months ago and don't know how to check tubes. Seems a likely culprit. Squealing happens with the comp/sust off, too.

I should get pics of the space and post 'em. Maybe it's in the setup...how the cords are run or something...
Last edited by Licker at Nov 2, 2009,
I give your rig a 9 out of 10, because it has everything I want and a digitech.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
digitech isnt bad, just the rp is not necessarily.... good
and you have a tube problem for sure. the jsx is loud as f*ck
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
wow, you have a really smokey basement...
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Sounds like a tube issue. You should replace the power tubes for sure and find out which preamp tube(s) is causing the feedback. You might want to try backing off the gain a bit too. 8 on a JSX is ridiculous.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by gnaraaron
wow, you have a really smokey basement...

Haha - fog machine! Since that vid we've added a disco ball, flashing lights, a black light, a red flood, 2 lava lamps - it's ridiculous considering we're only playing for my cat!

Yeah, something's obviously wrong with the output. It should be way louder - I'm sure of it. I'm taking it in ASAP.

Quote by mmolteratx
You might want to try backing off the gain a bit too. 8 on a JSX is ridiculous.

This one goes to eleven...
Last edited by Licker at Nov 3, 2009,
vol 8 and gain 8 on a JSX would be pretty insane I think and if that was your setting in that vid then I think as Goolz said you have a tube problem or glitch somewhere. 4:17 reminds me of a microphonic preamp tube.

I need to go back and read what you said happens when it is just the guitar plugged into amp.
Sounds like a microphonic tube. Tap the tube will a pencil and see if you get an echo like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAF42EwLzks&feature=related
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by JayLacelle
+1. digitech = bad

oh dear.
low end digitech, yes it is pretty bad but some of the pedals (bad monkey, RP500/1000) and the gsp rack unit are all amazing.
not BAD
Quote by enselmis

Dude, a JSX with the channel and master on 8 in a freaking basement would be loud enough to drown out a drummer on the front porch. Also adding an extension cab won't make it any louder since you're still pushing the same watts. Obviously this guy has something wrong with his amp and it makes me wonder why so many people are giving advice when clearly FEW of you have ever played a 120 watt amp on "8!"
Turn the gain down. The JSX ultra channel gain at 5 is like having it at 10 on other amps. So setting it to 8 is just ridiculous.

The volume problem sounds like an effects loop level issue Turn the effects loop on and raise the send and return to 5 or higher. This will bring the amps volume up.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by samlocke14
oh dear.
low end digitech, yes it is pretty bad but some of the pedals (bad monkey, RP500/1000) and the gsp rack unit are all amazing.
not BAD

well the bad monkey is just a copy of the tubescreamer so yeah id rather have the ibanez. and their rack gear isn't that great. still, most digitech = bad

EDIT: hardwire excluded of course
Quote by BobDetroit
Dude, a JSX with the channel and master on 8 in a freaking basement would be loud enough to drown out a drummer on the front porch. Also adding an extension cab won't make it any louder since you're still pushing the same watts. Obviously this guy has something wrong with his amp and it makes me wonder why so many people are giving advice when clearly FEW of you have ever played a 120 watt amp on "8!"

Not really... The amount of watts is definitely a factor, but 2 more speakers pushing air is going to make a considerably larger difference. A 2x12 and a 4x12 are gonna have massive volume differences even if they run the same amount of power, believe me, I've tested this.

Sorry for bumping, but I had to set things straight.
Make sure your effects loop is wired right. Are your pickups properly installed? Cables good? Input jack fine? Are your tubes old?

This is how you should be putting the RP-7 in the loop:

Effects send -> RP-7 input
RP-7 output -> Effects return

I've never had my 50 watt Valveking past 4 on volume on the distortion channel, because my ears start hurting at about 5.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??