so im building a dist/od pedal.

i need a 0.0068uf cap. film. i cant find it.

so now im asking if i can buy 7 x 0.001uf caps and wire them in series to get 0.007 which is the closest thing i think i can get.

is it possible? is there anything else i can do?
which cap values should i add tho? i dont want my board cluttered with like 8 caps...
Quote by Luxifer
so im building a dist/od pedal.

i need a 0.0068uf cap. film. i cant find it.

so now im asking if i can buy 7 x 0.001uf caps and wire them in series to get 0.007 which is the closest thing i think i can get.

is it possible? is there anything else i can do?
No, that would give you 0.00014uF. Unlike resistance, capacitance adds in parallel.

If you can't get a 0.0068uF, maybe two 0.0033uF?
in parallel that would give you 0.0066uF
much simpler than wiring 7 caps in parallel.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
anything that adds to .0068µ (6.8nF) or 7nF (.007µ

I guess the least you could use is 2 3nF caps and a 1nF cap.

or just bump it up to 10nF (.01µ You're building the Grace/Big Daddy?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No, that would give you 0.00014uF. Unlike resistance, capacitance adds in parallel.

If you can't get a 0.0068uF, maybe two 0.0033uF?
in parallel that would give you 0.0066uF
much simpler than wiring 7 caps in parallel.

oh yeah. i remember seeing some 33s at the store. thanks for the help

so it would look like this???

---------0.0033uf--------------
| |
----0.0033uf----

is capacitance measurable with a multimeter?
that ascii graphic means nothing to me.

you can measure capacitance with a multimeter, but the ones that can measure caps are more expensive. iow, not all multimeters can measure capacitance.
lol my graphic didnt work out too right fail

hahahaha yes i am building the big daddy circuit

how much will 2nfs off affect the tone?
Didn't affect it too much when I did it, but i ended up getting some 6n8 caps anyway. More lows will get through with the bigger caps.

You're really missing out by not ordering online...
Quote by Luxifer
i mean .2 nfs off
is it a coupling cap?
Lowering value will raise the frequency where the bass starts to roll off.
Raising the value will lower the roll off frequency.
Won't change the "tone" all that much, but it could be a little "farty" if the cap is too big or the bass might seem a little weak if the cap is too small.

Quote by Invader Jim
You're building the Grace/Big Daddy?
Didn't you build some combination of the two, a while back?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
yeah i know... but my parents just dont like ordering online. they're afraid of "identity theft". lol and on top of that, i live in toronto so its even harder to get my stuff and shipping is SUCH A PAIN IN THE A$$.

back on the cap stuff tho. the higher the capacitance, the more bassy the signal gets right? and the lower the cap, the more trebly?

so i think im gonna go with SYK on getting 0.0066uf since im not a big fan of bass.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
is it a coupling cap?
Lowering value will raise the frequency where the bass starts to roll off.
Raising the value will lower the roll off frequency.
Won't change the "tone" all that much, but it could be a little "farty" if the cap is too big or the bass might seem a little weak if the cap is too small.

Didn't you build some combination of the two, a while back?

im sorry but i dont know what a coupling cap is. this is my second build.

oh god. so .2nf's make that big of a difference?

wow. you have good memory. i was that guy who wanted to build a ruby + big daddy in pedal form. its gonna be amazing. though i think that i am the only person on this planet who will appreciate it.
Quote by Luxifer
oh god. so .2nf's make that big of a difference?
nah, it's all relative. If it's like 5% of the value, you'll never be able to tell the diff. If it's like 50%, yeah, probably.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
he was talking to me, actually.

a coupling cap is a cap in series with the signal between stages of a pedal. the caps on the input and output are coupling caps, the cap after that transistor is a coupling cap (the transistor is part of a gain stage in the Daddy).
so the coupling cap sorta keeps the signal in check after its amplified by something? thats what im thinking right now...
yes im sorry lol. am i the only one running windows IE 6? i hate the tabbing on the newer ones but i ahve to admit. IE6 is pretty slow.

so are pedals AC or DC? AC has hum right?
ac IS hum, basically. poorly filtered DC hums too. I could go into a nice technical explanation, but i cbf to draw the visual aides. lol

pretty much anything other than perfect straight-line DC (like what you get from a battery) hums.

pedals are DC. some pedals need alot more voltage so they are plugged into the wall and the voltage is stepped down to smt like 20v and rectified (made into DC) and filtered.
soooooo to run a pedal in 9v i would need a 9v DC adapter plug (do i need to look for a specific current rating on this?) and a 9v DC jack?
yeah, but you also have to wire the jack right. they have an internal switch that opens when you plug in an adapter. that way it disconnects the battery.

as for the current, the Daddy has a small current draw, so 100mA or more should do it. any adapter will be rated for AT LEAST 100mA.
i think i know how to wire the jack. i've seen the tuts on beavis (love that site).

lol i saw one that was 1000mA. i can basically go anywhere above 100 right?
1000mA=1A which is WAY more than enough.

idk the exact current draw of the Daddy, but surely it's much less than 100mA. anything over the actual current draw will work, so 100mA should work too.