Around 500USD. No preference on brand, something with a nice bright sound but also capable of versatility. It will be along the lines of Grateful Dead, Phish and stuff like that. I'll probably be writing music more along the lines of Phish.
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Last edited by Ndelle94 at Nov 2, 2009,
pretty vague...

What styles of music will you be playing? want a floyd? humbucker or single coil?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
There are a few jam bands that come to mind. Which kind are we talking about, Bluesy, folky Grateful Dead Jam Bandishness, Allman Brothers Southern blues jam banding, etc.?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by hopespaul
HSS strat for sure

I would say a HSH guitar would do the trick better.

If you want some good HSH guitars TS, look at Ibanez's, within your budget of course. No disregard to HSS strats, they're excellent, but in my own opinion not as versatile. Well, of course it depends, but in a blunt way of saying it I find HSH guitars to be mroe versatile...

Oh, are you willing to go used? You might be able to find a hell of a deal.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Nov 2, 2009,
Quote by hopespaul
HSS strat for sure

my thoughts exactly. a nice humbucker in case you decide to write / cover heavier songs, but you've still got the single coils for that real strat-like sound you might need.

and i think they're $499 for the MIM model.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Any guitar will work.But, Les Paul>Stratocaster. Go out and try every guitar you can. Taking the advise of any bozo over the internet(including me) and buying a guitar sight unseen to me is insane. $500.00 is alot of money to most people so why just toss caution to the wind?
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
You're definitely going to want something with humbuckers. Jerry played an SG in the early days of the Dead, and got his custom Tiger guitar with humbuckers (if I remember right). Duane Allman used SGs and Les Pauls. I think your best bet would be trying out something from Epiphone/Gibson and seeing what you like.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
uhm ima say

just cause you said your going to be playing stuff like phish so why not
take the heart of phish with you lol
Quote by Auhl21
uhm ima say

just cause you said your going to be playing stuff like phish so why not
take the heart of phish with you lol

God I wish I could afford a Languedoc..

If you're actually looking to sound like Trey, at least humbuckers. But its a lot in his entire rig too. Well, his fingers too. Anyway, he plays a hollowbody like that one. On your budget, Ibanez has some semi hollow dual humbucker guitars. Shecter has a C1 model thats SH DHB. I recall Dean..

Best I recall his FX are something like:
Git -> Morley wah -> Tubescreamer -> another Tubescreamer -> Ross compressor (he stopped using a couple of years ago) -> Volume pedal -> Twin Reverb, more recently Mesa too.
I'm gonna go with whoever suggested the PRS SE Custom. Those things are awesome for jam music.
UG's Prodigal Son
the definitive jam band guitar, imo is the Les Paul, but you cant find one of those for that price. next best thing is probably a mexi telecaster.
Question: If you are playing in a jam band I'd assume you will be playing with at least one other guitar player right? Wouldn't the best thing be to play something different than the other person?

A local jam band has three guitar players. One guy plays a strat, one guy plays a tele, and the other plays an SG. It makes sense to me.
If you don't mind a floating bridge Ibanez S470 might do the trick.

mahogany body
ZR trem
22 fret maple neck w/rosewood fretboard
HSH (VERY VERY versatile)

they're great guitars

You couldn't go wrong with a Fat strat either though (just bringing something else to the table lol)
Quote by Poster_Nutbag
God I wish I could afford a Languedoc..

If you're actually looking to sound like Trey, at least humbuckers. But its a lot in his entire rig too. Well, his fingers too. Anyway, he plays a hollowbody like that one. On your budget, Ibanez has some semi hollow dual humbucker guitars. Shecter has a C1 model thats SH DHB. I recall Dean..

Best I recall his FX are something like:
Git -> Morley wah -> Tubescreamer -> another Tubescreamer -> Ross compressor (he stopped using a couple of years ago) -> Volume pedal -> Twin Reverb, more recently Mesa too.

i wish i could afford one too ive got a epilespaul with dual humbuckers
and it doesnt sound anything like trey maybe its the way he plays i dont
****in know but that dude is good
brock from pgroove uses a es-355
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
I agree with HSS Strat.
I usually dislike Strats, but this is one situation in which it would definitely be appropriate.
Go with a HSH. You just can't go wrong with a decent Ibanez. Depending on your price range, you could go with an RG350DX or S470DXQM for a lower price range or maybe a RG3550MZ or S5470F for a higher. Massive ranges with these guitars.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
the definitive jam band guitar, imo is the Les Paul, but you cant find one of those for that price. next best thing is probably a mexi telecaster.

these two guitars are totally different?
Quote by toyboxmonster
I agree with HSS Strat.
I usually dislike Strats, but this is one situation in which it would definitely be appropriate.

+1
Quote by loudog93
these two guitars are totally different?

i know they are. a les paul to me is the best jam guitar. but since he can't afford that, the second best jam guitar imo is a tele. i don't understand why you think thats weird?
les paul is probably the most versatile guitar out there. Imo, moreso than a H/S/S or H/S/H or a S/S of a tele, mainly because of the independent pickup controls and the ability to mix the two with the middle position
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 5, 2009,
Nice tunes!!! If you like to jam, check these free jazz backing tracks at pocketdrums . org !!! Hope this helps!!
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Feb 13, 2016,
Quote by Fumble fingers
G&L Tribute Fallout with humbucker bridge with coil split and a P90 neck can cover a lot of ground for way under 500.00

Do you think he still hasn't made his mind up after 7 years?
Quote by SpiderM
Do you think he still hasn't made his mind up after 7 years?

I wasn't the one that brought a old post up , but I see it's a old post now ...lol