I was about to buy the SH-5 but then the GuitarHeads guy came and talked about the z-bucker, he said its pretty much a similar version of the SH-5, but better.

So, wich is better, seymour duncan or guitarheads?
Why are the guitarheads so cheap?
Thanks
Quote by Junnage
GuitarUser knows what's up*

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
digital amps are like Fapping, its good but nothings like the real thing.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
ummm

what kind of music do ya play and what kind of amp do you own?

Pop rock/punk, hardcore.
Tube marshall.
Quote by Junnage

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
I've actually never heard of GuitarHeads. If they are cheap, I'd stay away. I have a TB-11 Custom Custom and am very happy with it. I'm sure you would be too. You have an HSS right? I'm not so certain the SH-5 (TB-5) would be too bright. My suggestion is to call Duncan on their customer service number and let those guys help you figure out what you need. That is what I did.

Otherwise, CorduroyEW is a UG'r who here who hand winds pups, you check into his stuff:
rockmonkeyguitars.com

if you are looking for the cheaper stuff, I hear guitarfetish.com makes decent lower cost alternatives.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've actually never heard of GuitarHeads. If they are cheap, I'd stay away. I have a TB-11 Custom Custom and am very happy with it. I'm sure you would be too. You have an HSS right? I'm not so certain the SH-5 (TB-5) would be too bright. My suggestion is to call Duncan on their customer service number and let those guys help you figure out what you need. That is what I did.

Otherwise, CorduroyEW is a UG'r who here who hand winds pups, you check into his stuff:
rockmonkeyguitars.com

if you are looking for the cheaper stuff, I hear guitarfetish.com makes decent lower cost alternatives.

I'm currently with a sg.. so HH.
Yeah, guitarfetish sells GHS pickups, they're cool. I'll take a look at the monkey stuff

Well I'd better choose SD's/dimarzio right? One cant go wrong with them...

Thanks man have a nice day
Quote by Junnage

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

rockmonkeyguitars.com

I've only got one phrase for this...

You get what you pay for.

I wasn't too impressed with the guitar fetish pickups... but I suppose for the price, they're a passable replacement for stock pickups.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Adrian89 just did a NGCD thread and he put some Guitar Heads pickups in his BC Rich. You might wanna talk to him about them.

I've heard that guitar fetish pickups are decent if you need something on teh cheapz but if you have the money to dish out you're better off going with something else.

What exactly is your budget and what kind of tone are you looking for?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Adrian89 just did a NGCD thread and he put some Guitar Heads pickups in his BC Rich. You might wanna talk to him about them.

I've heard that guitar fetish pickups are decent if you need something on teh cheapz but if you have the money to dish out you're better off going with something else.

What exactly is your budget and what kind of tone are you looking for?

I still have the stock pups on my epiphone sg g400 custom...
I feel its missing something, I tested normal g400 with another pickups and found them better sounding...
Well, pickups are not that kind of expensive thing so I'd better get something I wont need to change later...
Would be a great deal to change all the 3 pups? And like putting a P90 on neck, for more versatility...
Thanks!
Quote by Junnage

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
Quote by GuitarUser
I still have the stock pups on my epiphone sg g400 custom...
I feel its missing something, I tested normal g400 with another pickups and found them better sounding...
Well, pickups are not that kind of expensive thing so I'd better get something I wont need to change later...
Would be a great deal to change all the 3 pups? And like putting a P90 on neck, for more versatility...
Thanks!

You obviously have not heard of boutique hand-wound pickups.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
^yeah, $900 a pop for a PAF copy is quite ridiculous.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
^yeah, $900 a pop for a PAF copy is quite ridiculous.

... well they are pricy... but $900 is unheard of haha... max I've heard of is $300.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
You obviously have not heard of boutique hand-wound pickups.

Yeah, thats why I prefer not to get myself into this kind of stuff
Quote by Junnage

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
Quote by ragingkitty
... well they are pricy... but $900 is unheard of haha... max I've heard of is $300.

Holmes go new for $800 a set. Used they can go up to $1000. That's absolutely ridiculous IMO.

Also, a P90 would not fit in the humbucker route. You're better off just getting a really nice moderate output bridge pickup. Punk doesn't really using anything else. I suggest looking around at all the winders you can find and asking them what would suit you best.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
Holmes go new for $800 a set. Used they can go up to $1000. That's absolutely ridiculous IMO.

Now that is plain outright ridiculous....

I knew Bare Knuckles and Stephen Designs were expensive... but... $800... that's just selling a name.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Now that is plain outright ridiculous....

I knew Bare Knuckles and Stephen Designs were expensive... but... $800... that's just selling a name.

There's a bunch of hype that says his pickups are the only ones that nail the PAF tone. That's a bunch of bull shit. There's no one PAF sound and plenty of winders make great PAF styled pickups. People who buy into that are typically just snobs, incredibly rich or both who want something no one else has.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
People who buy into that are typically just snobs, incredibly rich or both who want something no one else has.

Supply and demand...

If there's someone out there selling something... there'll be people who'll want it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Sorry I didnt mean to say punk like NOFX, rancid and stuff...
One band that my band is very alike. FOO FIGHTERS.
Quote by Junnage

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
Go for a good bridge and neck then. The middle pickup doesn't really matter for just about anything on an HB guitar. I rarely hear anyone use them. I disconnected it on my friends CS Black Beauty because he never used it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Go for a good bridge and neck then. The middle pickup doesn't really matter for just about anything on an HB guitar. I rarely hear anyone use them. I disconnected it on my friends CS Black Beauty because he never used it.

Yeah, disconnecting may be a good option. Its volume is always turned down.
Quote by Junnage

Quote by SimplyBen
I agree with GuitarUser

Quote by travs2448
I actually disagree with you get what you pay for.

Unless its boutique and handwound that way you know its something special just for you and one of a kind.

But say a 20 dollar pickup to a 100 dollar duncan? You get what you pay for is not alway the case.

I had a jb/jazz set in my epi g-400. I just got my new al-3000 and didn't quite like the pickups at all. So I went on ebay and bought a cheap mrg rocker and a velco neck pickup for I think like 30 bucks shipped. Put them in my agile, and they sounded great. So I thought I'm sure the duncans would sound much better in there, so I swapped them out with the duncans in my epi and it sounded terrible in my agile. On the other hand I liked the cheapo pickups better in my epi than the duncans. So I got rid of the duncans, and now I always try cheap pickups from random ebay sellers all the time and see what I get.

Do you think pickups cost that much to make?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life

Unless its boutique and handwound that way you know its something special just for you and one of a kind.

But say a 20 dollar pickup to a 100 dollar duncan? You get what you pay for is not alway the case.

I had a jb/jazz set in my epi g-400. I just got my new al-3000 and didn't quite like the pickups at all. So I went on ebay and bought a cheap mrg rocker and a velco neck pickup for I think like 30 bucks shipped. Put them in my agile, and they sounded great. So I thought I'm sure the duncans would sound much better in there, so I swapped them out with the duncans in my epi and it sounded terrible in my agile. On the other hand I liked the cheapo pickups better in my epi than the duncans. So I got rid of the duncans, and now I always try cheap pickups from random ebay sellers all the time and see what I get.

Have you considered the material of the guitar... and if the pickup is a good match to the guitar's material?

Matching a bright pickup to a bright guitar will make it sound horrible.

Granted... higher price is not always an indication of a better tone... but with a lower cost... there's really only so far you can go.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by JoePerry4life

I must fully disagree with your statement.

First off, you can't just throw any pickups into any guitar and expect them to sound good. Woods impact how a pickup is going to sound.

Second, cheaper pickups are going to be made from cheaper materials with less attention to detail.

I've compared cheaper pickups to bigger name companies and most of the time I've found that the more expensive pickups sound better.