So I just got a Teisco Del Rey EB-220, and I did a bit of research. It says it was made around 1966-1967 and the company went out of business a few years later. It is in horrible condition: paint chipped, screws rusted, broken pot shaft, oxidized pots, etc.

What would be the best thing to do? Is this worth anything as it is, or are the parts and hardware worth anything? I read that it would not be worth too much anymore, so I was thinking of selling the hardware (could I even get anything for it?), and repainting it, replacing all the hardware, and keeping it. Would this be a good idea, or should I do something else?

Here's a bunch of pics: http://img262.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc0031cb.jpg
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Nov 2, 2009,
Have you played it? Seems like it's mahogany body, and might be quite awesome to do up as a project bass.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I didnt play it... the action was EXTREMELY high, couldnt figure out how to adjust it since the bridge was nothing Ive seen before, and also dont have a bass amp to play it through, and I didnt want to risk ruining a guitar speaker.

And I did read that its mahogany, but that its glued together similar to plywood, with a lot of layers, but idk if thats accurate.
Impossible is Nothing
I think you could get away with refinishing, put a good bridge in, nice pickups and maybe a nice EQ and have a very passable bass.

Nearly half 5 here, so I'll probably go to sleep now
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I think you could get away with refinishing, put a good bridge in, nice pickups and maybe a nice EQ and have a very passable bass.

Nearly half 5 here, so I'll probably go to sleep now

What kind of bridge would I use? I dont know much about bass bridges, and with the little I do know, that bridge looks like no modern ones, so what kind could I use?
Impossible is Nothing
that one is a cover. hopefully removable. if its all good, you may have a sweet fender style bridge underneath which means nobody will know you have a Gotoh under there.

darkstars may fit if those pickups are out, an Aguilar, John East, or something you give Jim 100 for may fit under there.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
that one is a cover. hopefully removable. if its all good, you may have a sweet fender style bridge underneath which means nobody will know you have a Gotoh under there.

darkstars may fit if those pickups are out, an Aguilar, John East, or something you give Jim 100 for may fit under there.

Yea the cover comes off, if you look at the later pics you see it with no cover, and the area where it was. I cant find a bridge with screws in the same place, but if Im repainting it, I guess I could just fill the old holes and use any bridge

And yea Im definitely gonna need new pups, havent looked into them yet
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by solomon684
Yea the cover comes off, if you look at the later pics you see it with no cover, and the area where it was. I cant find a bridge with screws in the same place, but if Im repainting it, I guess I could just fill the old holes and use any bridge

And yea Im definitely gonna need new pups, havent looked into them yet

get a new bridge, that old one looks flimsy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
get a new bridge, that old one looks flimsy.

Weird as hell too, couldnt figure out how to adjust the action... I think Ill get a regular P-bass bridge and a cover for it

Do you know of any pups that look the same? Cause I want it to look as original as possible? Im gonna look more at what you suggested, but the seem to be a bit different. Maybe I'll see if someone here can make custom ones....
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by solomon684
Weird as hell too, couldnt figure out how to adjust the action... I think Ill get a regular P-bass bridge and a cover for it

Do you know of any pups that look the same? Cause I want it to look as original as possible? Im gonna look more at what you suggested, but the seem to be a bit different. Maybe I'll see if someone here can make custom ones....

very few look like that. in fact, I don't think any do.

Darkstars can fit in there and look the part.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
very few look like that. in fact, I don't think any do.

Darkstars can fit in there and look the part.

Oh well, I guess Im gonna go with the darkstars, and even though the current ones are 40+ years old, Im gonna make sure they are bad first
Impossible is Nothing
cool. Jim may be able to help you also.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
cool. Jim may be able to help you also.

Yea Im gonna see if he has any info when he comes on. Gotta see if I need new tuners also.... definitely need a new nut, so I gotta measure this one... neck is bowed a little, and the one way truss rod does not seem to be straightening out the steel reinforced neck very well...
Impossible is Nothing
Teiscos are shit, I used to have one. Keep it for the looks maybe a project but it'll take a lot of work. it isn't worth much unless the inlays are ivory. Hopefully you didn't pay over $150 for it

They were the First Act of the 60's and 70's. Seriously they sold them at Wal-mart.

this site is dedicated to the brand but you probably found it already.
http://www.mark-cole.co.uk/teisco/
Last edited by matt-attack at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by matt-attack
Teiscos are shit, I used to have one. Keep it for the looks maybe a project but it'll take a lot of work. it isn't worth much unless the inlays are ivory. Hopefully you didn't pay over $150 for it

They were the First Act of the 60's and 70's. Seriously they sold them at Wal-mart.

this site is dedicated to the brand but you probably found it already.
http://www.mark-cole.co.uk/teisco/

Got it for free, my friends dad used to be in a bad, and when they broke up, the bassist gave it to my friends dad to keep since he said hes gonna stop playing, and my friends dad never did anything with it and told me and my friend we can do whatever we want with it.

The inlays definitely arent ivory, but the guitar looks cool so Im gonna keep it as a project and make it playable
Impossible is Nothing
Tuner holes were about .5 in, most tuners require bigger holes than that, so I guess Ill just enlarge the

Measured the scale length, it was 14.5" from nut to 12th fret so 29". Isnt that kind of short for a bass?
Impossible is Nothing
about the same as some Gibson models and the Fender Mustang.

used to be more popular, not as common anymore.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I have this same bass, also mahogany. mine came without any hardware and im looking to restore it. I was wondering if you could measure the distance from the nut to the original bridge saddles on yours?

ive been finding that the actual lenght is actually a bit longer than 2X the distance from teh nut to the middle of the 12th fret. 29" would put the saddles right up on the pickguard but from your photos and the holes it looks to be closer to 30 or 30.5"

I am putting a new bridge on and this would really help me out.

ill post pictures when i get a little further along, this mine is in even worse shape