I wanna buy a Big Baby acoustic.

I love the sound and feel of the guitar. The one problem is I would want the option of plugging in for shows. How much would it cost to get pickups installed, and would it affect the tone a lot?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Umm....have you played anything else in that price range? There are FAR better guitars than the big baby out there for less money.

Also, the price depends on the quality of the pickup/EQ system you get and how much your local shop will charge to install said pickup/EQ. As far as tone, IMO it doesn't effect your tone in such an adverse way that everyone and their half-deaf grandma will hear it. Just like the tone difference between a full-bodied guitar and one with a cutaway, the difference is negligable at the worst.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
the big baby is a nice slightly smaller dread. what it will cost you to have something installed depends partly on what your luthier will charge, but you can probably pull the entire thing off for $200.

btw, perhaps something like this http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMWOODY would work for you.
Quote by Natrone
Umm....have you played anything else in that price range? There are FAR better guitars than the big baby out there for less money.

Also, the price depends on the quality of the pickup/EQ system you get and how much your local shop will charge to install said pickup/EQ. As far as tone, IMO it doesn't effect your tone in such an adverse way that everyone and their half-deaf grandma will hear it. Just like the tone difference between a full-bodied guitar and one with a cutaway, the difference is negligable at the worst.

what other guitars would you recommend?
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by touji-za-nai
what other guitars would you recommend?

A Yamaha FG730s

I was on the same boat as you earlier this year, I was dead set on buying a Taylor Big Baby, until I played this yamaha and compared it side-by-side. I just fell in love with the yamaha, it sounded much better than that low-end taylor or low-end martin. Ofcourse you would have to play it yourself and see if it fits you and sounds good to you.
lost and confused,
focused on the obscured.

(\__/) (`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ | ¸.·'´¸.·'´¸.·'´
(o.0 ) (´¨`·.¸¸~MoRBiDThOuGhTs~¸¸.·´¨`)
(> < ) (¸.·'´(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ | `'·.¸`'·.¸`'·.¸
Last edited by dark_asylum at Nov 3, 2009,
i went with a seagull original s6 over the big baby myself, but i also liked the yamaha fg730s a lot. btw, if you can stretch your dollars to around $500 the yamaha fgx730sc is the same as the fg730s but is acoustic electric so you won't need to get a pickup installed.

there's also an acoustic electric version of the seagull s6 for a few bucks more.

since you like the sound of the big baby, you might prefer the s6 to the yamaha, but try 'em both - they're well-made and sound great. they are also a little less basic in appearance than the big baby.

oh, i have one more you might consider! if you were going to put $200 into the big baby for electronics, you'll want to try the taylor 110e. it's got the taylor sound and comes with electronics but feels a little sturdier and looks a little less basic. not being a dread fan, i prefer the 114 to the 110, but if you want a dread, it's a nice guitar.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-110e-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-102946373-i1148408.gc
Yea! What Asylum said...

Played the Taylor Big Baby and the 110 and bought the Yamaha FG730S. Hands down better sound and range. I am spending the money I saved on lessons.

Haven't had the pleasure of the Seagull yet. But believe anything Patticake says.

Try them all, then try them again and have fun in the process!
Yamaha FG730S
I went and compared the Big Baby Taylor with the yamaha FG730s.. I still enjoy the BBT more, has a more solid feel, more aesthetically pleasing, and the tone is smoother and present.

The BBT is yes, very low heavy, but I don't feel as though it's a bad thing. It doesn't really muddy up the tone as much as give it a distinctive sound.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Last edited by touji-za-nai at Nov 4, 2009,
did you get a chance to compare it to the seagull and to the taylor 110?

when they say low end, they don't mean low notes - they mean entry level. btw, i think the big baby has a hint of that taylor sparkle that is so unique to the brand. while i preferred my s6 to it, it was pretty close.

you know something neat about the big baby? i was talking with a teacher at mccabes guitars last week end he showed me that the neck is bolted on with two bolts, and that's all. it's easy to remove to shim up or change the angle, or even take off the neck and you can put the guitar and neck into a smaller case to travel on a plane with if you're careful. very cool

Quote by touji-za-nai
I went and compared the Big Baby Taylor with the yamaha FG730s.. I still enjoy the BBT more, has a more solid feel, more aesthetically pleasing, and the tone is smoother and present.

The BBT is yes, very low heavy, but I don't feel as though it's a bad thing. It doesn't really muddy up the tone as much as give it a distinctive sound.
^All Taylors are like that. They pride themselves on being one of the very, very few acoustic guitar manufacturers that use bolt-on necks.

You have to compare every guitar in your price range TS. I assure you, if you go at it with an open mind, you WILL find a guitar you like better than the Big Baby.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
actually the big baby has a differently attached neck than all the other taylors.

Quote by Natrone
^All Taylors are like that. They pride themselves on being one of the very, very few acoustic guitar manufacturers that use bolt-on necks.

You have to compare every guitar in your price range TS. I assure you, if you go at it with an open mind, you WILL find a guitar you like better than the Big Baby.