Hello.

My pickups keep cutting out, but not completely. While playing with distortion, the guitar seems to switch to clean when I flick my pickup switch to bridge pickup, instead of staying with distortion. I'm not sure what kind of pickups I have, but they're humbuckers an fairly new. I know pickups have a coil, so I assume that they're magnetised.. I was wondering if I would need to get new pickups or if it's just poor solering.. Maybe even if the pickup switch is fecked.

PLEASE help me out!

p.s, I'm sorry if my post is in the wrong place.
My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul, Studio.

I'm not sure by what you mean, active pickups..
could be a striped cable man. i wouldnt rule it out. my guitar was doing the same thing kinda. what kind of cables do you have?
I have no idea what cables I'm using.. I just play the guitar, I'm not too much into the technical part of things.. Sorry.
try another guitar cable to rule that out.

are the volume controls for both pups set to max, if not try it as reducing these cleans up a distorted signal (that`s why they`re there).

if that doesn`t work, spray some servisol(contact cleaner- availble from hardware stores) in the output jack and pup selector,

open it up and check for bad soldering joints, resolder(get someone to do it for you if you don`t know how) if necessary.

sometime the switch turns within it`s mounting and this can pull a wire off on les paul style 3-way selectors.
I bet it's a dodgy selector switch...it's a pretty common problem on Epiphones. Like ibanezgod1973 it's either dirty, broken or the wiring is loose.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You need to rule out things one by one. First the easiest try a new guitar cord/cable if you have an extra or can borrow one. Then check to see if the input/output jack you plug into on the guitar is tight if it loosens up it's possible you have a short. The selector switch and pots would be next while playing switch from pick up to pick up and turn you VOL and Tone knobs up and down to see if there is a difference or it cuts out. The next check you will need to remove the jack and see if the wires are OK and solder joints good after that you would need to check the solder joints inside the guitar under the cavity cover I have seen a lot of cold solder joints in almost every guitar brand it happens and that can cause intermittent problems. I doubt it could be pick ups in all the years I have been playing and repairing guitars I might have come across two or three bad pups. 80% of the time I got a guitar that cut out it was a bad wire at the jack. I even notice a lot of the used guitars I try have loose jacks. I always wonder if some one traded the guitar in because of it cutting in and out but never had it checked out.

As a rule I always start with the most simple problem first and eliminate each as I go along. If your guitar checks out last problem it could be your amp. Try it through another amp if possible.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Nov 3, 2009,
I had a similar issue with my Bradley LPC. The pickups would cut out, drop in volume, etc. The original Bradley toggle switch I took out was sealed. I replaced it with a Gibson unsealed switch ($25). No more problem.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
I had a similar issue with my Bradley LPC. The pickups would cut out, drop in volume, etc. The original Bradley toggle switch I took out was sealed. I replaced it with a Gibson unsealed switch ($25). No more problem.

but he already has a unsealed switch, bu yes it could be a switch issue has steve seagull and i have already explained.
I've had this. the simple fix was wiggling the pickup selector ring until it worked. And then tighten it up.
May not work for you though. Worth a try. I also have an LP style guitar.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

I have the same problem and even the same guitar. I dont think that the problem is with cabel becouse my neck pickup is working just fine. I am getting guitar fixed on Monday to a profesional and if you want I will ask him how to fix that and I will tell you.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster MIM Sunburst
Epiphone LP Studio
2X Roland Cube 30X
Little Big Muff
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Squier Precision Bass
Quote by vaaan
I have the same problem and even the same guitar. I dont think that the problem is with cabel becouse my neck pickup is working just fine. I am getting guitar fixed on Monday to a profesional and if you want I will ask him how to fix that and I will tell you.

dude, like they said, there's a little dirt in the switch.

you can spray a little compressed air into it. flick it and see. a can is about $3.

some guys spray a little cleaner with lube in there. either will do.
in that case just let the switch dry before plugging in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yes, I have an Epi Les Paul and had the exact same problem, (I haven't fixed it yet, lack of funds) but I think it's the pickup switch.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly