Considering getting this pedal, just a few quick questions:

1. Is it true it will slowly die if you put it in an effects loop? My effects loop can go from 4dBu to 20dBu so would running it in 20dBu stop the DL4 from dying?

2. I've heard that if you run it in mono it's better to use converters to go from 1 plug to 2 plugs for input and 2 plugs to 1 plug for output to correct phasing problems...?

Thanks!
The DL4 doesn't die slowly in an effects loop.

And the Y cable idea you are speaking of is just a way to make stereo use out of a mono signal, which is not true, it will do nothing spectacular.

The DL4 has reportedly had reliability issues but all of the people I know who use them are satiated with the quality.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']The DL4 doesn't die slowly in an effects loop.

And the Y cable idea you are speaking of is just a way to make stereo use out of a mono signal, which is not true, it will do nothing spectacular.

The DL4 has reportedly had reliability issues but all of the people I know who use them are satiated with the quality.

From the Line 6 website:

"Q: Can I run my Line 6 Modelling pedal in a parallel or series FX loop?

A: Line 6 does not support the use of any Line 6 Four Button modeling pedal in an effect loop as the Line 6 Modeling pedals are designed for instrument level (guitar/bass output) to be inserted between the instrument and the amplifier. The signal strength of a line level signal (i.e. an effect loop) can cause the input buffers to fail.

Q: What if I have a level control on my FX Loop?

A: It is up to the player to determine how to set the effect loop level according to personal taste, but Line 6 does not recommend placing any Line 6 Four Button modeling pedal in an effect loop. The send would need to be reduced to approximate a guitar level signal (i.e., -22db, 1.5v pp max, etc). The problem with this is that you rely on the modeling pedal for make up gain, which if you tailored the input would result in higher noise floor. If a loop is the only desirable way to connect a Line 6 Modeling pedal, you will need a -22db pad on the front end and a +20db buffer on the output to make up the gain."

Would still like other people's opinions!
Last edited by [Dane] at Nov 3, 2009,
Nick from Tera Melos uses a DL4 in his effects loop.
As do several of my friends with their FM4 and MM4s.
Nick has had the DL4 there for quite some time.
Considering the massive amount of gigging and recording he does i would trust it myself.

If you are so worried about this you could always switch to using pedals for gain if you must.