So I'll be getting paid about £1000 soon and I'd like to set a budget of no more than half of it towards upgrading my amp from a Microcube. It's served me well, but the tone is quite shit the better you get at guitar and I'd like a full valve

I play a lot of the usual stuff like Metallica, Led zep, deep purple, then I also like to play songs by Coheed & cambria, mars volta, Buckethead

So I'd like something that isn't TOO heavy, but perhaps something that I could plug a distortion pedal in to if I wanted a heavy metal tone

I will be using it for bedroom practice also

Cheers
Try something like a used JCM2000 or 900 or 800 combo. Those may be found for around $500 and should get you the sound you want. If you can't find one I advise a Peavey Classic 30. Very good Marshall tone on a budget plus a nice clean channel and it also takes pedals well.

To give better advise, you don't plan on giggin at all? And where do you live (country + city)?
I'm in the UK

Me and my mates don't gig yet, but we have a rented room with some decent equipment in it for when we practice, I just need to get myself a good amp for home use only, so it doesn't need to be too powerful
id go on ebay and get a mesa boogie single rectifier and matching cab. but if its for bedroom check out guitar guitar, theyve got an egnator rebel 20w combo (i think thats its name) its got an el34 and a 6l6 power tube, plus a blend control so you can blend the sound of both tubes. it looks pretty hot. you'll be able to get the nu skool american distortion aswell as classic rock sound
Quote by seanchief2112
id go on ebay and get a mesa boogie single rectifier and matching cab. but if its for bedroom check out guitar guitar, theyve got an egnator rebel 20w combo (i think thats its name) its got an el34 and a 6l6 power tube, plus a blend control so you can blend the sound of both tubes. it looks pretty hot. you'll be able to get the nu skool american distortion aswell as classic rock sound

I've heard that the effect is quite gimmicky, i haven't tried it but apparently the effect doesn't create as large a difference as one would expect.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
So you have about $600?

Peavey 650+ 112 combo when it comes out $600
Peavey Vypyr 60 hybrid $450
B52 AT60 112 $370
Blackstar HT5 head and cab $600
Fender SuperChamp $300
Peavey Valveking 112 $430

you finally have some money for an entry level tube amp
What sort of tone are you looking to get? i.e American (Think Mesa Boogie and Fender) or British? (Marshall... Laney...) Or maybe something a bit more European? (ENGL, Bogner)
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I like a British sort of tone

I came across a "Blackstar HT-5" and it looks quite sweet and is very affordable...plus for the money I saved with that i could also get some pedals. Good idea?
Quote by BucketheadOwns
I like a British sort of tone

I came across a "Blackstar HT-5" and it looks quite sweet and is very affordable...plus for the money I saved with that i could also get some pedals. Good idea?

Great Idea in IMHO
Ibanez RG1570 (06) LTD Truckster (07) Fender USA Standard Strat (97) Blackstar HT5s ,TC Polytune, SHO Clone, Russian Muff pi, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, Marshall Reflector, MXR 10 Band EQ
Very good idea while you are not gigging with it. My other thought was a Hayden MoFo head and a used 1x12 or 2x12 cab. It switches between 30w and 2w so is great for home and will take you to small and big gigs. Everyone I know who has bought or tried one is raving about it.

Edit: Just found this
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Hayden-112-Cab-MOFO-UK-Hand-Wired-All-Valve-Class-A-Amp_W0QQitemZ300361228300QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL?hash=item45eeeca00c
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Nov 3, 2009,
I've settled on the Blackstar HT 5 with a bad monkey for any heavier songs I want to play

Now I just need to choose between the head and cab, the mini stack or combo...
When you say 'cab' do you mean the Artisan 412 cab? Otherwise, the mini stack is what I think you were thinking of. That is what I would do. That way, if you ever want to upgrade your cab situation you can do that easily.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar.gc