Hi everyone.
This has probably been brought up many times before, but there are so many threads and I can't find what I exactly want. So help me out O.K.
I've been playing guitar for a good time now, and I've become pretty good at some techniques -mostly intermediate- and my style is much influenced by guys like kirk hammet, slash... basically those who use a lot of Pentatonic and Blues, but now I can't seem to be able to play differently, and this has mainly affected my improvising ability not my composing.
So I grab the guitar, play 15 min and I'm out of ideas just like that, then I start repeating myself.
So, all of you pros out there what should I do ?!!?!?
Thanks, PEACE OUT.......
Start actually thinking about what you want to create rather than just mechanically going through familiar motions. Don't even go near your guitar, just put on a backing track and listen , and try to come up with something in your head that fits with that backing track...you can worry about playing it on the guitar later when you've actually got an idea of what you want to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
How exactly can something affect your improvising but not your composing?

Improvising = making up stuff on the spot
Composing = making up stuff to use for later

Both involve making up stuff.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
How exactly can something affect your improvising but not your composing?

Improvising = making up stuff on the spot
Composing = making up stuff to use for later

Both involve making up stuff.
Easily if you don't compose on the guitar - if you are improvising its easy to fall back on stuff you use a lot, and rely on your fingers not your head, but if you're composing away from your instrument you're probably using a combination of what you hear in your head and your knowledge of theory.
Quote by zhilla
Easily if you don't compose on the guitar - if you are improvising its easy to fall back on stuff you use a lot, and rely on your fingers not your head, but if you're composing away from your instrument you're probably using a combination of what you hear in your head and your knowledge of theory.

Really? If you are following a chord structure while you are improvising (ie. thinking about the chords underneath and co-ordinating your notes with said chords) you wouldn't be purely relying on your fingers.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Really? If you are following a chord structure while you are improvising (ie. thinking about the chords underneath and co-ordinating your notes with said chords) you wouldn't be purely relying on your fingers.
I'm not saying its a good way to improvise - just that its a 'trap' you can fall into that isn't there when you're composing away from your instrument I've been there - thats the point I realised I'd better start listening lol
Quote by zhilla
I'm not saying its a good way to improvise - just that its a 'trap' you can fall into that isn't there when you're composing away from your instrument I've been there - thats the point I realised I'd better start listening lol

When I started soloing I stuck the Johhny B Good riff in every song, regardless of style. True story.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
When I started soloing I stuck the Johhny B Good riff in every song, regardless of style. True story.

Angus...is that you?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com