Hi. can anyone advise me on a great clean sounding amp for under £700 to put effects through? Im not interested in the amps overdrive. Ill be putting distortion pedals through it. Needs at least 40 watts for headroom. thanks
i just bough the bugera 1960 amp head - it says its 150w but thats peak power, so its really 100w rms.

I am very pleased with it and it takes distortion pedals REALLY well :-) but i will warn you, there is very little available in the form of a single channel amp head and unless you are either prepared to buy the bugera, or spend 1100quid on a blackstar artisan or something similar, you may have to buy an amp that has a distortion channel built in

btw, 40w will not give you much clean headroom at all ;-) it will be nice and loud but will break up really early

maybe you could give us more info, like do u want a combo or head/cab? will you be gigging it? if so, will you be micing it up? genre of music you play?

peace

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Il be playing in a cover band in pubs, clubs and halls. Genre is mostly British indie such as Oasis, blur, stone roses but will be doing some greenday and guns and roses. Had a Marshall TSL601 combo and didnt like the cleans or the overdrive channel hence this time im looking for clean headroom to put effects through. I would have thought 40 watts would be enough miced up for my purpose? Probably not for practice tho cos we wont be miced up and the drummer is loud. I was thinking about the Hot rod Deville 212/410?
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Hiwatt_HG50RC_Hi_Gain_50_Combo__6899665
You don't have to use the gain channel much, but that's what you get these days. And hells, it's a Hiwatt so you know the cleans are classic Brit with headroom to spare. Reviews say it loves effects both out front and in the loop.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

thanks. Ill check out the Hiwatt. Ive no experience with them. Ive tried the Hot rod deluxe and it sounds good - its just that question of headroom. Listened to the Peavey classic 50 and thought it was also good , but i preferred the fender cleans.
You could get a good Vox on eBay.co.uk for £699 if you were to search for "VOX AC30 CC2 2X12 GUITAR AMP - NEW".
Are the cleans on the Vox as good as the DeVille? Would it stay clean when really loud? Im not interested in the overdrive channel really remember.
Ive heard them. They sound beautifull and ive seen a few on ebay for as little as £600 but how do i know if Im getting a great one or a dog? Most i see are from the USA or south of England (I stay in Scotland) and are pick up only. Would I be getting the best out of the amp since it would probably never be past 2 on volume? Seems a bit risky but if one was advertised near me Id def go and try it out!
not flaming anyone here, but the vox ac30 is not really known for its cleans is it? its more known for that "always slightly dirty" sound and in my opinion a roland J120 does NOT cut it for over driven sounds.

having said that, the vox would seem to suit the styles you are playing, tho it might be a bit thin on the greenday/gnr side of things.

but... I would choose ANY valve fender over the vox for a good clean sound and they do sound nice with pedals plugged into them.

if its a GREAT clean sound you want TS, you could do a LOT worse than a twin ;-)

if it were me buying a twin, bearing in mind the concerns that you have outlined, I would find a seller with lots of good feedback & a detailed description of the product, its condition and what they have used it for, then take a punt - you could always move the amp on again, they hold their price.

good look TS, i hope you find what your looking for :-)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Quote by hippyheaven1
not flaming anyone here, but the vox ac30 is not really known for its cleans is it? its more known for that "always slightly dirty" sound and in my opinion a roland J120 does NOT cut it for over driven sounds.

having said that, the vox would seem to suit the styles you are playing, tho it might be a bit thin on the greenday/gnr side of things.

but... I would choose ANY valve fender over the vox for a good clean sound and they do sound nice with pedals plugged into them.

if its a GREAT clean sound you want TS, you could do a LOT worse than a twin ;-)

if it were me buying a twin, bearing in mind the concerns that you have outlined, I would find a seller with lots of good feedback & a detailed description of the product, its condition and what they have used it for, then take a punt - you could always move the amp on again, they hold their price.

good look TS, i hope you find what your looking for :-)
What? The AC30 is one of the greatest clean amps of all time.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
i dont understand why you want to use just the clean channel, you can get great headroom on overdrive/distortion channels. but that being said if your gonna stick with this then go for a fender twin, best amps for cleans IMO in your price range.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.