I am currently jamming in a smaller room with a drummer and a bass player. The problem is that I can't get very far away from amp so at any given time, either my effects unit or guitar cause feedback.

I know there are noise gates, etc., but I am very unfamiliar with them. What would be a good solution for this problem so I don't make everyone cringe during our sessions?

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Do you only get feedback when you use the MFX?
Which amp are you using with the MFX?
Does your guitar have active pups?
Is your guitars pickup cavity shielded with shielding tape?
Can you validate your guitar is grounded?
Possible microphonic preamp tube?
Bad cable?
Bad potentiometer somewhere?

But I mean if you can't back away from your amp you may just have to deal with it

I'm not sure a noise gate will fix that. We can certainly recommend some if you want to try that. I don't believe that it will help but maybe someone else can school me.
Yes, I only get feedback when using the FX unit and it gets much worse when I kick any kind of distortion on.

I am using the Blackheart Handsome Devil

My pups aren't active. I am using Seymour Duncan trembucker/'59 jazz combo

I can't vouch for whether my guitar is grounded or has shielding tape.

I guess I will live with it until we can get a bigger practice area.

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Check your settings on the MFX unit. A zoom pedal I had there was a master vol that would reset every time the pedal was unplugged or powered down. The factory setting was way to high. The amp vol up and pedal vol down worked much better. But had to remember to set that vol every time I powered up to play. And most MFX units will have some sort of noise gate in em.