I have an old vox valvetronix amp right now, and while it certainly gets the job done, the tone is... less than desirable for me. Way too dark and mushy, often sounds like a blanket is laying on the amp. I've been lucky enough to end up with an LP studio and an American Tele as my two main instruments, so I have good guitars, now I just need a good amp to go with them.

I like the sound of punk-pop bands like Bowling for Soup or Green Day, classic rock bands like Aerosmith and Rush and The Eagles and almost anything Eric Clapton has done (especially with Cream) but my MAIN focus would be on bands like Barenaked Ladies, The Raconteurs (I loved their second album), Weezer and Against Me, who (other than Weezer) have a fairly bright, chimey tone that my vox just can't replicate, even with the Tele.

I recently played a Peavey Classic 30, the first tube amp I'd played, and the difference between that and my vox was astronomical. Better clarity, more pleasing grind on the distortion, more dynamic response, better string separation, but it still felt kind of mushy to me. Not enough bite and clarity to it. This might be because I didn't play it very loud, or it might be something that could be remedied by a pedal, but that was my impression of it. I don't recall what else the store had within my price range as I was in a hurry, but I'll be returning there next weekend.

Short version: I need a tube amp as far under $1000 as possible that will play nice with a Tele and an LP and which has a fair amount more clarity than a valvetronix (not hard to do). I dont need the perfect amp (I couldn't GET it for $1000) but I'm hoping for one I won't want to upgrade from for a while. Any thoughts?
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Nov 3, 2009,
Well, i've been looking at a Bugera 6260. 2 channel, All valve, 120w, £320 (about $500???)
It has a bright switch for the clean / crunch sound but i'm not sure if you can use it for the crunch, but it sure sounds nice. I have a LP copy, and ive tried one out briefly and it sounds very nice indeed, IMO. I think the combo is about £400 (so...$600???)
Quote by ZzakK
Well, i've been looking at a Bugera 6260. 2 channel, All valve, 120w, £320 (about $500???)
It has a bright switch for the clean / crunch sound but i'm not sure if you can use it for the crunch, but it sure sounds nice. I have a LP copy, and ive tried one out briefly and it sounds very nice indeed, IMO. I think the combo is about £400 (so...$600???)

I'll have to check them out, thanks.
I've seen videos on youtube of some tweed amps that had the sound I liked, that more crisp sound, but none that I saw were at any sane price point.

Any more suggestions?
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
I wouldn't get a Bugera 6262 for what you play. There are some Bugera's that would work for you however, but I'm not recommending Bugera right now.

What I summarized quickly from your long post (thanks for the warning but you will get more responses if you just keep the request crisp - see below)-

...is that you played a tube amp and your brain liked it. That happens a lot. If you liked the Classic 30 I would just get a Classic 30. Fits for most of the stuff you play. I don't know if you can pull off Rush with a Blackstar HT5 amp that would be one to try to go play.

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Current Gear?
Closest City?

that is my standard list
I wrote that huge thing in a hurry, which made it too long. I shortened it a bit now. Thanks for the help. I know a good amount about electric guitars but very little about amps. Thats why I'm here -- to learn.

As for your list....

Budget: $1000 max. $500 or so would be much nicer.
Genres: alt, indie, punk/pop, some classic rock
New or Used: either
Home or Gig: home, for now
Current Gear: Fender Tele, Gibson LP Studio, last-gen Vox Valvetronix, Pocket Pod (which is crapping out on me)
Closest City: Charlotte NC
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
i personally think the classic 30 sounds the best with a different speaker in it. and it will sound much better at higher volumes than you're probably used to with the vox.
Maybe a Vox AC30, Orange Rocker or a Plexi style amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by eyebanez333

I probably should have looked there first. Fantastic find, thank you! Two quick questions, though (I can hear you groaning already )....

They recently upgraded this model and I notice that this is the older style (which I like the looks of better), but I hear that the newer ones have a tube guard/tube tamer, should that influence my decision on which model to buy? I've hear of these getting bad rattle, but I have no idea how common or bad or difficult a problem that is to fix. Also, sound wise, how would that new speaker affect it?
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
in fact, there are many amp modified from Classic 30, Classic 30 have many features and can play many different sound.
Quote by glpoon
in fact, there are many amp modified from Classic 30, Classic 30 have many features and can play many different sound.

wat

And TS, the tube guard won't make a difference. It's pretty useless IMO. If you have any rattling noises, just make sure everything's bolted down good.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Since I don't know much about tubes or speakers can anyone tell me how his swap to a 12 AU7 tube and a WGS ET-65 speaker vs the Blue Marvel speaker and... whatever tubes it had before will affect the sound?
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Nov 5, 2009,
The 12AU7 will lower the gain. The ET-65 is based off of the Celestion G12-65 which is basically a Greenback with improved power handling and a rolloff in the highs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Those are two great amp suggestions.

The peavey is similar to my amp and I love it but when I bought it (used) I did open it up and screw everything down nice and tight and it got rid of the tiny bit of rattling it had going on.

Can't tell you too much about the speaker or tubes since I haven't had to change my own tubes yet, but I do know that many people suggest an upgrade from stock peavey speakers just for better clarity.
I had a Classic 30 for about 2 years. I always used the clean channel with pedals. The gain channel didn't do much for me either. I really liked the amp and the only reason I sold it was because Sam Ash blew out the discontinued Ampeg J-20 for $300. I had a bit of a problem with tube rattle on mine, but it wasn't bad enough to buy tube tamers. You should be able to find a good used one for around $300. A good used Blues Jr or Pro jr should run around $300 as well. That sounds like another option for you. Definitely plan on buying pedals to fill out your variety of tones.

If you want to consider another amp with built in FX and voicing check out the Fender Super Champ XD. I have one and really like it. I put my pedal board in front of it and it sounded good with pedals as well.
I'd get that Classic 30 from Craigslist. The tube rattle shouldn't be an issue. If you have rattle, you can just go in and tighten everything. The tube tamer is pretty cheap to buy as well.

As far as mods, the 12AU7 will slightly lower the gain. It will also increase clarity in most amps. The speaker is a vast improvement over the stock one, and sounds really good. As mmolteratx said, it is based off of a Celestion Greenback, but has better (subjective, as some like speaker breakup) power handling, and some rolled off high end.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I'm most likely getting the Classic 30 in that ad, but since the Blackstar HT-5 is so popular here, can anyone tell me how the two compare?
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
3 days is long enough to wait for a bump, I think. And my question doesn't deserve a new thread.
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
last try. Any more help or should I consider this thread dead?
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
They are very different amps. Somewhat similar in tone, but the HT-5 is much quieter. If you play gigs, you will not be getting clean tones unmiked. Also, the HT-5 was somewhat darker than the C30 I tried. One more thing to consider is the size of the speaker. A 12 inch speaker, which is in the C30, is much more balanced (typically) and much better suited to rock guitar than a 10 inch speaker (HT-5), which can be quite trebly.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
any amps i should keep in mind other than the classic 30 and the ht-5? Honestly, the peavey's sound doesnt really appeal to me for reasons I stated in the first post. It doesnt sound very "full" to me.
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
TS, how loud did you play the classic 30 at?
and did it have the stock tubes in it?
I own a Classic 30 just like the one in the craigslist ad and i love it.
It is one of the easiest tube amps to maintain and it sounds great.
you can probably also haggle the price down to 300 dollars.
i got mine for 250.
I'll admit, I didn't have a chance to play it very loud, and it did have the stock tubes in it as far as I know. I was playing it in the front of a small music store with a few families buying instruments for their kids. I didn't want to deafen any middle schoolers.
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Nov 11, 2009,