So I'm going to get some new tubes. I'm going to order from Thomann, but they don't really have a wide range of 12AX7:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=ecc_83_vacuum_tubes&oa=pra

I play metal and my amp is a Laney LC15 with 3 preamp tubes. Which ones to get? The descriptions say that TAD RT001 RÖHRE ECC83 fits for me (Lots of gain, tight bass, punchy mids and silky top end with good overall definition and brightness. Recommended for guitar amps to improve overall response), but I don't know much about tubes. At the moment I have the cheapest sovteks.

Which ones to get?
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
Also I'm not trying to get distortion from the amp, I'm just using a distortion pedal. Will I still benefit from the "tight bass and punchy mids" tubes tone-wise?
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
yeah I think it would be worth it and the TADs are good so I'd just get those. I didn't see Tung Sols on there but those would also be good as a brighter medium gain type preamp tube.

You may want to experiment with an Overdrive Pedal as well vs a Disti pedal. The tube change will be more noticeable with an OD pedal.

If you need power tube help too we might be able to assist.
The amp only has one channel and I need cleans too, I'm afraid an OD pedal won't give me enough gain to get a good distortion while the preamp gain is at about 10 o'clock. So I guess I'm sticking with my distortion pedal, which I think gives me a pretty good tone considering the tubes are pretty bad (for metal, at least).

I thought power tubes make less difference in tone, you just need a lot of headroom when playing metal? Correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks
» Ibanez SZ520 + JB/Jazz
» Rocktron Rampage
» Vox ToneLab SE
» Laney LC15
Holy ****! 31 Euros for a god damn Groove Tube 12AX7!

Quote by SwampAshSpecial
aren't Sovteks pretty nice?

I don't really care for them. And TS, I'd recommend ordering from somewhere else and getting 12AT7s if you're just gonna use the amp for cleans.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Nov 3, 2009,
Sovteks are pretty good. Just for the heck of it I tried some cheap no name Chinese pre amp tubes in my XXX with great results. I think you're wasting your money.
Quote by BobDetroit
Sovteks are pretty good. Just for the heck of it I tried some cheap no name Chinese pre amp tubes in my XXX with great results. I think you're wasting your money.

I actually liked the last few generations of the Chinese pres too. They sound pretty damn good but have a bit too much gain for me. For the price they're just about unbeatable. And now that I think about it, I believe the TADs are simply rebranded 9th gen Shuguangs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Holy ****! 31 Euros for a god damn Groove Tube 12XAX7!

Import duties, my friend. Free trade is a myth.

You would be surprised how many differend "brands" of tubes are made in the same factories by the same people and just given different brands. If you had the time, money and inclination to do a side-by-side comparison with a dozen or so brands, you would be disappointed by how similar most of them are. And why not? They're basically the same tube made in the same factory out of the same components.

Avoid a completely unheard-of brand and you'll do just fine.