DISCLAIMER: I can't get any pictures of anything until the weekend, if anyone wants them. Sorry.

Two problems, one with a Tele, one with a 335. I took them both to a luthier and he was... less than helpful, so I came here.

The Tele is an American Deluxe and the S-1 switch does not function properly. When activated in the middle position it should switch between series and parallel wiring, but all that happens is that I get JUST the neck pickup if I push the S-1 switch in the middle position. Yes, I'm sure. The guy I brought them to insisted that these guitars were a pain to work on and that he couldn't do anything. He suggested I check with the store I bought it from, or Fender, but I got this second hand from someone who insists that the switch has never worked, so that won't help.

The 335 has a much less serious problem (this is the one I thought you might need pics for). There is a small dent in the back of the neck that it incurred when a cable was yanked out of the wall too close to it. Now, I can handle a dent or scratch or two, and if I can't fix this it isn't the end of the world, but I feel it whenever I play and it really bugs me from time to time. I thought it could possibly be steamed out or something since the finish is nitro and I'd heard of people fixing dents this way, but the guy I took it too insisted that it would cost hundreds of dollars and may require a re-finish on the spot in question. He said not to bother with it.

Can anyone here help?
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Nov 3, 2009,
saw dust and glue + wood filler put that on the dent proggressivly sand the area of the neck wth finer and finer sand paper then stain to match the finish of the neck.
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
Quote by Morello is god
saw dust and glue + wood filler put that on the dent proggressivly sand the area of the neck wth finer and finer sand paper then stain to match the finish of the neck.

It's just way too small a ding for me to feel right doing that to it, especially on an instrument as expensive (or emotionally valuable to me) as this one. Is there no solution to this that won't require destroying the finish completely in that area?
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Quote by The_Future_Soon
It's just way too small a ding for me to feel right doing that to it, especially on an instrument as expensive (or emotionally valuable to me) as this one. Is there no solution to this that won't require destroying the finish completely in that area?

no, you'd have to fill it in and restain. it's really not as expensive of a job that he said if you do it yourself, wouldn't be too hard either.

as far as the wiring issue, I'm not familiar with that, so I can't help you.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Nov 3, 2009,
You could theoretically steam it out, but all that heat plus moisture would probably warp your neck. You could also try lacquer spot-filling, but that might be really noticeable when you play.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by GravyFish

Thanks! Wouldn't most luthiers be able to work on this? He made it sound like they're impossibly complicated, but I just don't see that. He also said that Fender won't sell replacement S-1 switches if that's the problem, but I doubt that. I'll just shoot them an quick e-mail if no one here knows their stance on it.
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29
Quote by The_Future_Soon
Thanks! Wouldn't most luthiers be able to work on this? He made it sound like they're impossibly complicated, but I just don't see that. He also said that Fender won't sell replacement S-1 switches if that's the problem, but I doubt that. I'll just shoot them an quick e-mail if no one here knows their stance on it.

That guy sounds like he really doesn't know what he's doing. As you said, that wiring doesn't look complicated at all, and i'm 95% sure that Fender would gladly send you a replacement pot free of charge, or perhaps for a reasonable price if the warranty for your Tele is expired or something. Just send them an e-mail, most companies are really helpful with that sort of stuff.
Alrighty. I'll contact Fender and get a new guy to look at helping me fix the wiring (I wasn't gonna take it back to the same guy anyway after how he acted. He was really rude, too.) Thanks everybody.
Quote by CarpUK

Quote by biga29