Goodday peeps!

In a few weeks i'ts my cousins birthday and he just started to play Bass but he doesn't have any gear! He borrowed some from a guy but now he should get his own, and ofcoarse, his birthday (and christmas) is the perfect moment for it!

A little note: It could be (I play guitar now) that I am going to buy the same set as he does to start learning bass too .

I've read the Bass forum FAQ and now I have a question about gear:

The Squier Affinity P-Bass should be really good, and the Ibanez GSR200 and Peavey Milestone/Millennium too but is a LTD B-50 good too? I like the looks of the LTD much better, but when the quallty differs I will get the best one.

As for an amp: an Orange Crush 20 or 35B or a Hartke 200 or 300B should do.

The musicstyle what we play differs from rock to Metallica.

Thanks a lot and sorry for the disturbing "What gear to get" post.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Last edited by RMB at Nov 3, 2009,
Orange Amps are brilliant but Squier Affinity series basses are rather crap and, at the risk of infuriating half the board, I'm not a fan of the GSRs. Best bet is an Orange or Kustom practise amp with a Squier STANDARD bass. If it fits the budget the VM and CV series Squiers are amazing for the price. The ESP-LTD '50' basses are quite good but on the whole Squier and Ibanez are better for starters.

Just to add about the music preference. It matters not with bass. All solid body basses are good for all genres. It might look odd playing a BC Rich in some roots raggae but it'll sound just fine.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Nov 3, 2009,
Thanks for the response

I checked the VM squier but it is like 50% more expencive Is it worth the price difference?
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
The Vintage Modified series have been compared to the mexican Fender Standard Models, and they're about twice the price. So I'd say they're bloody good value. There are several reviews for these basses on this site, you should definately have a look at them.

If you go into a shop to look at basses:
1. Avoid no-name brands, the famous brands are famous for a reason.
2. Avoid Epiphone, they're infamous (in the bass world) for a reason.
3. TRY THEM OUT BEFORE YOU BUY and make sure you play them on a similar amp to the one you're intending to get.
4. I really strongly reccomend you don't order online unless its from an actual shop that actually exists with pictures of the exact same bass you're going to buy, or else you won't know what you're getting.
5. 2nd hand deals can be either really good or really bad so watch out.

Follow these rules and you'll do fine, happy shopping!
Really much thanks for your advise! Much appreciated!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
IMO behringer is pretty good if you know which of their products are effective.
Quote by vek329

Maybe, but their "1000 Watt" bass amps are not worth the hassle.
Quote by vek329
Please enlighten me: Which of their products are effective? And what do you mean by effective?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
My main issue with behringer is the reliability. My 7 year old 15watt crate still works perfectly even after quite a bit of abuse. i would never expect this of a behringer.

I agree that Orange is a great brand to look into for a starter bass amp. Can't go wrong there.

I'm not a personal fan of Squier/Fender but it's a personal preference thing on the feel of the bass. Otherwise the VM series is great quality and many people sing their praises. play a few fender and squier basses to make sure you like the feel, and if you do go for the VM. Definitely worth the money.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Thanks all! At the moment the Squier VM sounds pretty attractive, but can anyone tell me how the LTD B-50 compares to the VM?
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
go for a Squire standard or a Ibanez GSR200 those are the best 2 i would say also dont be scared to go used lol.

As for amps look in at Laney's RB1 its 15w and a very well built amp mines has been dropped down a couple of stairs and its rugged as hell it even doubles up as a seat when theres loads of people in my house LOL.It takes abuse as if it were a form of fun tbh also sounds pretty good and a loud little motherf'er to boot xD.

Also the orange is a good choice :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Ok thanks all!

I will probably go for the Ibanez GSR200 in blue together with the Orange Crush 35B
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Quote by RMB
Ok thanks all!

I will probably go for the Ibanez GSR200 in blue together with the Orange Crush 35B

good choices you wont regret either the ibby's more versatile than you think cause of its P-J :P im toying with buying a C-20 or a GSR200 even tho both are deemed beginners bass they play like a dream lol.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.