Is it also possible to just glue the neck really tight to the body instead of just holding it in place with 4 screws?
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
No, there's more than likely not enough surface area to provide a strong joint.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
In asking this question I assume you have a damaged neck or body. Fender made the their bolt ons so you can fix one or the other without replacing your whole guitar. Just replace the damaged part. There are several options with a wide cost range. You can get necks as cheap as 75 but you get what you pay for

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by cainmd
if your talking about gluing a bolt on neck then you are retarded

And you're an asshole for answering like that. If you're going answer his question, answer it and then shut up. If you're not going to answer it, shut up.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by cainmd
if your talking about gluing a bolt on neck then you are retarded but they do have set-in necks which i think is what your talking about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set-in_neck

no i was really talking about gluing in a bolt on neck, hoping it would work better than just bolding it in, but as i read it wouldn't work good

is it still a good idea to both glue the neck onto the body AND use the screws to bolt it to the guitar ?
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
No, because you would basically be removing the ability to replace the neck should it ever warp beyond adjustment or become damaged somehow.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
this sites very cheap for everything, http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/Guitar.aspx. Grab a new neck otherwise your going to make you guitar useless by gluing the neck. project-guitar.com is another site that help fix/build guitars. good luck

DLrocket89: i atleast answered the question and wasn't flaming, build me an amp please. One that sounds like a line6 spider
Quote by Luminate
Is it also possible to just glue the neck really tight to the body instead of just holding it in place with 4 screws?

Is it possible? Yes.

Would you want to do it? No.

Why not? Several reasons... the idea behind bolt-on is that should the body or the neck become damaged or the neck warps or something, you can replace one without replacing the other, as was stated above. Furthermore, it's been said that bolt-ons have better tonal qualities as it's wood to wood contact, not wood to glue to wood; the waves transfer more cleanly and what have you. However, I don't know if you'd be able to notice the difference sound-wise.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Im actually trying to convert a bolt on to set neck now, to see if it works. Im gonna string it up later today, the neck will probably break, but if it doesnt Ill tell you how I did it if you want, so that you can do it
Impossible is Nothing
Thanks Jim.

I wonder if there isn't a really strong adhesive that would soften at like 150F or so, so you could heat gun it and remove the neck if needed. Maybe I'll call up 3M or Henkel and see if suck a thing exists.
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by Invader Jim
150F is not very hot at all. It's about lukewarm, actually. I see what youy are saying though. That's why they have steam guns (like for removing fretboards)

Yeah. There are adhesives out there that have a low Tg (glass transition temp) where they go from strong adhesiion to being like puddy that might work.

I'm a Materials Science major, let me go ask our PhD Polymers/Adhesives guy what he might have up his sleeve. My hope is that we can find somethign that's stronger than wood but still removable.
Quote by kcdakrt

it is also possible to put square tires on a car, but not necessarily advisable.

if a thing is designed to function in a certain way, you are pretty well certain to get unwelcome results if you attempt to make it function in a completely different way. i'm pretty certain that if you do this, you will be displeased with the result.
---
Only assholes vote Republican.
---
1988 Gibson SG Deluxe
1975 Hiwatt DR103
Carvin X100B
Quote by xstillspinninx
No, there's more than likely not enough surface area to provide a strong joint.

The joint will likely be strong enough.

I wouldn't recommend glueing though. For several of the reasons mentioned above.
Yeah, there's really no need for glue. The bolts hold the neck on and transfer tone very well, many high end guitars are bolt ons--its just a matter of preference.