Here we go, I have a 6505+ on the way and I want to put best tubes I can in it.

I realize "best" may be subjective but I'd like to hear people's experience and recommendations. It's really overwhelming when you have so many different types and variations not to mention different manufacturers for each tube type. Help me make sense of it all!

I'm looking to replace everything, power and pre.

I was told that 12AT7 were great for V1 btw. And how about these? http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/spax7.html

Thanks!
Last edited by )(yperX at Nov 3, 2009,
I don't have any specific desires, just quality, great overall-sounding tubes.
Well they are kind of old and I'm just going to do a full-retube.

Plus there is usually always something better than stock tubes available.
Let me give this a try.

TS - yes preamp tubes can alter your tone slightly and do die sooner or later. Tube amps, as you know, need to have their tubes replaced every now and then. Don't buy from Eurotubes, they only stock JJ's. Do buy from Dougstubes.com - great outfit, love those guys. I suggest you send them an email with what you are looking for tone wise.

If you are wanting to keep the same basic gain then stick with 12AX7s. If you wanted to try something smoother with less gain you could look at a 12AT7 (70% the gain roughly of the AX version). I don't own a 6505 so you may have to poke around a bit details about what to put where.

Brands to look for are JJs, Tung Sols, TAD, Mullard, Sovteck, and the like. JJs and Mullards will tend to have a bit of a darker sound, while Tung Sols and TADs will have a bit of a brighter sound.

Let me know if that gets you squared away.
Yeah I sent a few sites some emails so I'm interested in seeing what each of them say.

How much darker/lighter can different tubes make an amp sound? Any examples or comparisons of this?

Right now I'm looking at Tungsol 12AX7's (with a balanced 12AX7 for the phase inverter) and Tung-sol 6L6GC-STR's.
balanced doesn't really matter for the PI, the circuit would need to be balanced to make any difference, and none are that I know of. Tungsol are on the brighter side IMO, but have a lot of clarity without a ton of noise, so they work well in V1 in my experience. I don't care for them as much in the gain stages unless it's a very dark amp to begin with. EHX also sound on the brighter side to my ears. JJ's seem on the opposite spectrum, where they work well with brighter amps IMO to smooth things out. I liked the Ruby 6L6GC's in the 5150 I had, pretty balanced across the spectrum, nice tight bass that isn't overpowering, and not too much highend, good mid grind. As for using a 12AT7 for V1, I've found them to sound a bit brittle for my tastes. I much prefer the 5751 in that application if you want a little less gain, but still very musical sounding. These are nuances to your tone, they aren't going to change the voicing no matter what tubes you use, but it can be just that little differnce that puts a smile on your face.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
"Peavey 6505+

Problem: Looking to quiet the amp down. Very flat sound.

Ordered: (1) Tung-Sol 12AX7
(1) Penta 12AX7
(2) Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen.
(1) Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen. Balanced

Response: The 6505+ got an all-JJ retube, which sounds great now! A lot more lively and defined"

taken from dougstubes.com. hope this helps with the preamp
Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Peavey 6505+
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
-
Morley Little Alligator Volume
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer Turbo
Boss TU-2

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Thanks from the explanation Erock.

So you would use what, a Tong Sol in the V1 and JJ's in the rest?
i would use (1) Tung-Sol 12AX7
(1) Penta 12AX7
(2) Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen.
(1) Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen. Balanced in any order. what ever sounds best to you.

and 4 jjs as powers but thats just me
Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Peavey 6505+
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
-
Morley Little Alligator Volume
Line 6 FM 4
Line 6 DL 4
Boss DD-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer Turbo
Boss TU-2

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
for the powertubes you want winged C's if you can afford them..... SED makes incredible tubes for the 5150
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by )(yperX
Thanks from the explanation Erock.

So you would use what, a Tong Sol in the V1 and JJ's in the rest?

personally, I liked the 5751 in V1, and then the Penta/Shuguang/Ruby in the rest of the slots. TS works in V1 too if you like the extra gain and feel. I boosted mine too, so that's why the 5751 worked well. If it's a bit too harsh for you now, JJ are good pres, but you lose some topend bite comparitively IMO. I don't really consider the 5150 an overly bright amp. I like Doug's recommendation, although the Penta and Ruby are the same kind of tubes, just select versions of the Shuguang Chinese.

For power tubes, I liked the Ruby for the performance and price. If you want to experiment though, I really like the Winged =C= mentioned also, great tube IMO. They have a lot of lowend, which is something to watch out for with a big lowend amp. Very tight and controlled as long as you don't go overboard. The TS 6L6GC aren't a bad idea either.

I'm not a big fan of JJ powertubes at this point. I don't really have anything against the sound, but I've had miserable luck with reliability. I've been thru 4 sets of JJ that died within a couple months, in 3 different amps. This was using their E34L, and KT77 however, I haven't used their 6L6 in a while. I don't trust their reliability at this point with their manufacturing however.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Yeah the Winged =C='s looked nice, I think I'll try them next.

For now I'll just go with TS 12AX7's (with a balanced 12AX7 for the phase inverter) and TS 6L6GC-STR's or TAD 6L6WGC-STR's.

How exactly do 5751's effect the tone? I know they're supposed to have 30% less gain (the 6505+ has plenty of gain, so a little lost isn't going to matter to me).
I just put JJs in my 6505 and love it. They smooth out the tone a bit which is definately needed.

TS what speakers are you running? Ive tried some nice combos of earcandy/jensen/eminence and they make all the difference. People assume v30s are THE metal speaker but the 6505 is very mid voiced already so it makes it a bit shrilly.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Nov 3, 2009,
Quote by )(yperX
Yeah the Winged =C='s looked nice, I think I'll try them next.

For now I'll just go with TS 12AX7's (with a balanced 12AX7 for the phase inverter) and TS 6L6GC-STR's or TAD 6L6WGC-STR's.

How exactly do 5751's effect the tone? I know they're supposed to have 30% less gain (the 6505+ has plenty of gain, so a little lost isn't going to matter to me).

I wouldn't go with pure TS in the pre, they tend to not be as reliable in positions other than V1. They don't work well in the phase inverters of most amps, especially in Marshall type circuits. I'd go TS or the 5751 in V1 like Erock suggested and Shuguang for the rest of the preamp. And also like Erock said, a balanced phase inverter will make no positive difference to the sound as most amps are already unbalanced.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
winged c are among the highest quality tube you can buy
i love the sound of mine
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
It's just what Jon at thetubestore.com suggested.

So TS or 5751 in V1 and Shuguang 12AX7's in the rest? Think that would be the best config?

Sir-Shredalot - I'm using it through my new Vader 2x12, custom Eminence Legends ftw!
Quote by )(yperX
It's just what Jon at thetubestore.com suggested.

So TS or 5751 in V1 and Shuguang 12AX7's in the rest? Think that would be the best config?

Sir-Shredalot - I'm using it through my new Vader 2x12, custom Eminence Legends ftw!

Yea, that'd be a nice combo IMO. I'd say Winged Cs in the power section. The closest it gets to NOS tubes in current production in a lot of people's opinions, including Larry of Larry Amps.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

yeah the amp tech i know loves winged c. he handwires amps as well
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I just talked with Doug from dougstubes.com he suggested a Tung-Sol in V1, a Sovtek LP for the phase inverter, and chinese Ruby's or Penta Labs in V2-V5.

As for 6L6's he recommended RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's or Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR's.

Decisions, decisions...
Quote by )(yperX
I just talked with Doug from dougstubes.com he suggested a Tung-Sol in V1, a Sovtek LP for the phase inverter, and chinese Ruby's or Penta Labs in V2-V5.

Decisions, decisions...

Those are good choices too. The Ruby's and Penta Labs are just a select version of the Shuguang that have a lower noise floor. They might be worth the extra few dollars to you. As for power tubes, I still recommend the SED/Winged Cs but if you don't want those, I'd go with the TS.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by )(yperX

Decisions, decisions...
You'll be happy with Doug's recommendation. The Sovtek LPS is a great tube for the phase inverter. My amp originally had one in it's PI spot until it lost it's vacuum and burned out.
Not many people realize how important the PI tube selection is and how much it affects your amps tone. I was surprised myself.
The Sovtek was great but a JJ and regular EH 12AX7 made my amp sound like sh!t.
I soon found success with a gold pin EH 12AX7 that sounds better than the Sovtek to my ears.
I actually bet a lot of players could improve their tone by experimenting with PI tubes.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Thanks for the further recommendtions, looks like I'm close to my final setup.

mmolteratx - I send Doug an email about Winged =C='s, interested in his opinion on those.